Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Just installed my Lt's And Ory..couple questions

This is a discussion on Just installed my Lt's And Ory..couple questions within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So i just finished installing my hooker lt's and hooker y pipe and it sounds great, little loud but to ...

  1. #1
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Just installed my Lt's And Ory..couple questions

    So i just finished installing my hooker lt's and hooker y pipe and it sounds great, little loud but to be expected. Anyways one thing i feel is that i lost power.??? Weird but maybe its just a different feel like i can notice a little low end torque but it just doesnt seem like its got the snap like it did before. So i just am curious is it running like crap cause of not cats and my car needs to program its computer to run like that? one thing i did change is i went from the ngk plat to the ngk 55r like everyone does on here but that shouldnt matter at all. I'm going to get the tune by frost but not for a week or so. But she sounds great and one thing is wow it gets hot under that hood now. Not sure what to do about that? Thanks for any help guys

  2. #2
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,996

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    A Tune by Frost will help you correct the air/fuel ratio and bring back the power and then some.

  3. #3
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    A Tune by Frost will help you correct the air/fuel ratio and bring back the power and then some.
    So thats a common thing to feel a little power loss at first???

  4. #4
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Maybe since the car is louder you expect it to be faster than it is

    just a thought

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Your engine is simply a glorified air pump. Anything that affects how the air flows into and out of it can affect how the engine runs and where it produces its best power. Changes such as what you made generally require a tune to get the most out of them. As Cutlass stated, chances are your a/f is less than optimal right now. Frost does an excellent mail order tune and has a quick turnaround time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Well, my experience, when I put on my ceramic Hookers/ORY, I felt more power immediately. In fact, it took me over 3 years of staring at the damn SES light before I got tuned by Frost. I believe the ceramic coating helped with underhood temps, since I don't notice any unusual heat. My car picked up 2-4 tenths and 2-4 MPH at the drag strip, and gained a little more than 1 MPG highway, all before the tune. I have not been to the track yet with the Frost tune, but it feels stronger over 3500 RPM now.

    So no, it is not common to feel a little loss of power, something else is wrong. Have you cleaned your MAF lately? What codes, besides the usual air pump/EGR/downstream O2 sensors do you have?

  7. #7
    crazy ass white boy dennis ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    473

    navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

    When I did my off road Y and cat delete I noticed a power loss too. Its from the o2 sensors. Get a tune and you will be happy. I had rear o2 sensors tuned out and had the timing, air/fuel ratio and rev limiter tuned also. I had my mechanic tune it with his laptop but I hear frost does an excellent job.
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

  8. #8
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    I think my o2's that are actually hooked up on the lt's are screwed up that could be why...I was pissed cause when i went to screw the o2's in the headers i couldnt get them in at first cause there was like welds inside the headers that wouldnt let them screw in could of screwed them up. i'll buy two new ones and see if it helps. Also the tune will be in a week or so. For now i'll find out wednesday if its faster or not when i go to the track. The sound is so loud just like tater said maybe its the sound thats throwing me off haha. Thank god for the borla so if i want it to quiet down i can throw the block off plate in there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    My car feels slower with LT's, ORY, SSRA and Re tune. I cant figure out why but the car felt faster before no doubt. I have Zero issues mechanically all the plugs have been checked and MAF is cleaned and also checked. My car was a tad faster not much right after installing the LT's and ORY but with the SSRA and Tune its the exact opposite. So i know what your saying and how you feel. I will in eventually put my car on the dyno and see what numbers it pulls and most important getting the A/F.

  10. #10
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Damn thats depressing! This may be a dumb question but out of the 4 o2 sensors does it matter what 2 i put in the headers?

  11. #11
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    My car feels slower with LT's, ORY, SSRA and Re tune. I cant figure out why but the car felt faster before no doubt. I have Zero issues mechanically all the plugs have been checked and MAF is cleaned and also checked. My car was a tad faster not much right after installing the LT's and ORY but with the SSRA and Tune its the exact opposite. So i know what your saying and how you feel. I will in eventually put my car on the dyno and see what numbers it pulls and most important getting the A/F.
    Maybe its in our heads cause its alot louder haha never know......oh i like those stripes on your fender car looks great

  12. #12
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    Thanks Camaro69Mac. LOL louder for sure, once you get past 3k its a completely different sound and pierces your ears. I think it might be since we have alot less back pressure the car FEELS like it has less torque or power but could be the car pulls well now from bottom, mid to top and doesnt feel at any certain rpms the car pulls harder since it pulls hard from everywhere now, either way i still feel its slower and cant convince myself yet that putting LT's, ORY, Re Tune and SSRA made any difference. Only explanation i can come up with, realistically i gotta put this thing on the dyno and see what happens its kinda bugging me.

  13. #13
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Thanks Camaro69Mac. LOL louder for sure, once you get past 3k its a completely different sound and pierces your ears. I think it might be since we have alot less back pressure the car FEELS like it has less torque or power but could be the car pulls well now from bottom, mid to top and doesnt feel at any certain rpms the car pulls harder since it pulls hard from everywhere now, either way i still feel its slower and cant convince myself yet that putting LT's, ORY, Re Tune and SSRA made any difference. Only explanation i can come up with, realistically i gotta put this thing on the dyno and see what happens its kinda bugging me.
    I feel the same way (i did just do it yesterday thought) So i gotta give it time. I havent decided if i really like the way it sounds. Sometimes i think it sounds nasty others i think too raspy. But i cant decide. I gotta live with it either way so oh well i guess

  14. #14
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I cant see your sig but do you have a exhaust cut out. I have the cut out open, no cats, LT's, ORY and it sounds hella loud at WOT. The only time i like the way it sounds is at exactly 2200-2400 were it kinda echo's and sounds deep other then that its really raspy in normal driving. Here is a vid of mine and my sig is at the bottom. Hopefully after you get the tune youll be happy with yours.

    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

  15. #15
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I cant see your sig but do you have a exhaust cut out. I have the cut out open, no cats, LT's, ORY and it sounds hella loud at WOT. The only time i like the way it sounds is at exactly 2200-2400 were it kinda echo's and sounds deep other then that its really raspy in normal driving. Here is a vid of mine and my sig is at the bottom. Hopefully after you get the tune youll be happy with yours.

    Click for full size
    oh i never put one of those sig things haha i'll do that, i have borla and i played around with the different plates, wide open plate (OH MY GOD) haha but i have the one with the smallest hole, not that its quiet at all but i live in a condo and get up at 430am haha. I agree with you around 2200 is where there is no rasp and sounds evil then when you get on it jesus it gets raspy but hey i guess thats what these ls1's do with the set up like this. oh well i guess. I think yours sounds great! I hope mine is like that haha i'll have to have someone drive it or do a video

    We are similar in mods
    I have Hooker Lt's Ceramic coated, Hooker ORY, borla, Smooth bellows, slp lid, k&n, ported tb, tb coolant bypass, msd wires, Bilstein's, eibach pro kit
    Last edited by Camaro69Mac; 06-13-2010 at 03:45 PM.

  16. #16
    crazy ass white boy dennis ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    473

    navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

    My car feels like it has lost some bottom end but once I hit 3,000rpm's watch out. I think once you get the tune things will feel better. It also matters on how well the tuner is. Im waiting to get my longtubes and 3.73 gears installed. let me know how it feels after the tune

  17. #17
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    My car feels like it has lost some bottom end but once I hit 3,000rpm's watch out. I think once you get the tune things will feel better. It also matters on how well the tuner is. Im waiting to get my longtubes and 3.73 gears installed. let me know how it feels after the tune
    I know everyone on here is going to tell you to not waste your time putting gears in a stock rear...but ya i sure as hell hope that it gets better because for that much work i was hoping for alot more. Plus i'm not sure how i feel on the sound. I know everyone on here says how the exhaust sounds all raspy but jesus its wild haha Sometimes i think it sounds good others i cant stand it...........

  18. #18
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I took a risk as i did with the past 4 camaro's and put in 4.10's and never looked back. Some will say its a waist of time like Camaro69Mac said but once you put it in it makes a big difference. A reputable shop installing it makes a huge difference and ive never had any issues with mine as far as the 01 Z28, 93Z28, 94Z8, 95z28, the only one that gave me problems was the 01 SS M6 i had and that thing gave me plenty of problems not just the rear. Ofcourse some will have problems with just the stock gears but in the end its just luck.

  19. #19
    crazy ass white boy dennis ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    473

    navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

    I agree, some will have problems and some wont. I almost have 100k on my camaro and have not had one issue yet. I bought a bearing and install kit so when I have the gears changed everything else can get replaced as well. But like I said before once you get a tune it will wake your car up. camaro69, I had both of my rear o2 sensors tuned out just to let you know. Make sure who ever tunes your car is reputable.

  20. #20
    crazy ass white boy dennis ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    473

    navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    I know everyone on here is going to tell you to not waste your time putting gears in a stock rear...but ya i sure as hell hope that it gets better because for that much work i was hoping for alot more. Plus i'm not sure how i feel on the sound. I know everyone on here says how the exhaust sounds all raspy but jesus its wild haha Sometimes i think it sounds good others i cant stand it...........
    My car is not raspy at all. I think the borla muffler has alot to do with it, I know they are pretty high pitched in sound. I have a flowmaster and the tone is very deep. I was worried when I had the cats cut out but I have no rasp at all. I like the loud exhaust but its mostly personal preference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Couple of Questions for Ya'll
    By SMWS6TA in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 07:00 AM
  2. A couple of questions...oil and air
    By AKz06 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 09:33 AM
  3. Have a couple questions
    By 03supercharged in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 05:41 PM
  4. Couple questions.
    By fright88 in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 10:27 PM
  5. couple questions
    By fastws6 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 09:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •