Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Jaam kit or Volant kit WS6

Ok i'm about to order up one of these two but not sure which one would be the best. Any advice, Reviews, etc

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

i just put in a volant. I think it works best with the WS6 hood, but it doesn't support the radiator as well as the stocker, so i fabbed up some brackets to fit underneath it. Plus, the Jaam kit blocks out the airflow that comes up from under the front bumper as well, which i don't see as a positive thing.

Last edited by goof4080; 08-04-2009 at 12:28 PM.

2002 CETA m6

[QUOTE=goof4080;2013427]i just put in a volant. I think it works best with the WS6 hood, but it doesn't support the radiator as well as the stocker, so i fabbed up some brackets to fit underneath it. Plus, the Jaam kit blocks out the airflow that comes up from under the front bumper as well, which i don't see as a positive thing.

Any problem with the fitment?

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Thanks I was leaning towards that one I just need some positive feedback.I can easily fabb up some brackets if need be.

Jeff

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post

Any problem with the fitment?
    I really didn't find any fitment problems. It hooked over the radiator (just barely, which is why i fabbed up mounts). and it mounted in the stock holes with stock bolts.

Another argument for Volant and against jaam, and those other 'ram air' intakes. They still require a $90 lid, $50 filter, and the $200 kit.

Which totals over $300.

I only paid 280 something from WS6store.com. And they were very helpful as well. Customer service means a lot to me.

(btw, my problem requiring their help was with some SLP parts, not the volant)

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Cool I'm going to order one up from ws6store as soon as I get paid thanks

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

i am halfway into installing the jaam ram air kit and i already can feel the difference. So far all i did was install the bottom plate that directs air for the lower nostrels and removed the front and rear baffles from the hood. On the highway it already made a huge difference in my power and mileage. Cant wait to get the foam hood sealing strips on there. This is after i already had the slp lid and filter and bellows i noticed a big difference. This is a true ram air. the volant kit doesnt look like it really seals to the hood that well but its hard to tell from pics. it just looks cheaply made and thats why i didnt go with it but i see a lot of people are happy with them so who knows.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

[QUOTE=goof4080;2013427]i just put in a volant. I think it works best with the WS6 hood, but it doesn't support the radiator as well as the stocker, so i fabbed up some brackets to fit underneath it. Plus, the Jaam kit blocks out the airflow that comes up from under the front bumper as well, which i don't see as a positive thing.

Click for full size[/QUOTE

One or the other. If you want to seal your hood, then block off the air coming from underneath. If you want to run an FTRA or similar system then you need to block off the hood. Air entering from two different directions causes turbulence which actually hinders performance. Less air is entering instead of more like one would assume.

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Gotta be honest I don't know what the fuck to do at this point. Here in Chicago we only got about another month and half maybe before it goes into storage. I put a trans go shift kit in it yesterday that will tie me over until spring.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

[QUOTE=NvyBluMtlc02WS6;2061057]
    Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    i just put in a volant. I think it works best with the WS6 hood, but it doesn't support the radiator as well as the stocker, so i fabbed up some brackets to fit underneath it. Plus, the Jaam kit blocks out the airflow that comes up from under the front bumper as well, which i don't see as a positive thing.

Click for full size[/QUOTE

One or the other. If you want to seal your hood, then block off the air coming from underneath. If you want to run an FTRA or similar system then you need to block off the hood. Air entering from two different directions causes turbulence which actually hinders performance. Less air is entering instead of more like one would assume.
    while kind of true..not so much for our application...people do not see decreases in performance when they have both open. with that being said..my air box is sealed to the hood.

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Going with JAAM kit and FTP lid made my decision last nite after numerous research and questioning.

Thanks for the responses

Jeff

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Itllrun View Post
    Going with JAAM kit and FTP lid made my decision last nite after numerous research and questioning.

Thanks for the responses

Jeff
    You know the FTP lid is too large for the stock MAF. You'll either need a larger MAF or go Speed Density Tune, delete the MAF, and run a straight silicone tube like I did:

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Yeah correction I'm going with The JAAM ram air kit slp lid and slp bellow. there's no need for that FTP lid and having to change a bunch of shit I just have bolt ons. The stock MAF is fine for now. I don't think the 85mm maf and changing all that shit is neccessary but now i'm curious.
    Last edited by Itllrun; 09-22-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    i am halfway into installing the jaam ram air kit and i already can feel the difference. So far all i did was install the bottom plate that directs air for the lower nostrels and removed the front and rear baffles from the hood. On the highway it already made a huge difference in my power and mileage. Cant wait to get the foam hood sealing strips on there. This is after i already had the slp lid and filter and bellows i noticed a big difference. This is a true ram air. the volant kit doesnt look like it really seals to the hood that well but its hard to tell from pics. it just looks cheaply made and thats why i didnt go with it but i see a lot of people are happy with them so who knows.
    Volant does seal to the hood, even as-is, but some will even add more with pipe insulation, mine as is stock volant system will leave marks on the bottom of the hood where the dirt lines are... so yea, they seal... As far as how they are made, they are well constructed and sturdy, but some will complain they were under engineered.... most complaining about the radiator support, yet is easilly fixed.... another interesting point is that you gain almost twice the surface area of a flat drop in filter with the dual cone setup so there is also to take into consideration...

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Volant does seal to the hood, even as-is, but some will even add more with pipe insulation, mine as is stock volant system will leave marks on the bottom of the hood where the dirt lines are... so yea, they seal... As far as how they are made, they are well constructed and sturdy, but some will complain they were under engineered.... most complaining about the radiator support, yet is easilly fixed.... another interesting point is that you gain almost twice the surface area of a flat drop in filter with the dual cone setup so there is also to take into consideration...
    it may seal to the hood in some spots but theres no way it creates anywhere near the type of seal that a lid will create unless you add your own foam strips and build them up. also there is no need for twice the surface area of a lid filter because its all going into an 80mm round opening and a k&n filter of that size is not going to be a restriction at all to that 80mm opening. i just dont think the crappy quality and structural support of the volant is worth it since it probably wouldnt provide any more power

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

it may seal to the hood in some spots but theres no way it creates anywhere near the type of seal that a lid will create unless you add your own foam strips and build them up. also there is no need for twice the surface area of a lid filter because its all going into an 80mm round opening and a k&n filter of that size is not going to be a restriction at all to that 80mm opening. i just dont think the crappy quality and structural support of the volant is worth it since it probably wouldnt provide any more power
    how do you figgure it doesn't seal up?

on the S.A., thats like saying why run a fast 92mm intake because its not going to show any improvement because it runs through a 80mm MAF....

but they are well built, just have a design flaw with the radiator support

plus you gotta think of the path that the airflow has to take...
    Black 2000 Trans am WS.6, P&P MAF & TB, TB bypass, Fernco, Volant CAI, EGR! and AIR!, Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, QTP ORY W/Dual E-cutouts, Spec 3 clutch, RAM master and slave cylinders, 20% tint, 2 Alpine 10's/Rockford 1200amp, Pioneer head-unit, Corsa Clones, Metallic Silver Stripes, TTMs,

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

On the highway it already made a huge difference in my power and mileage. Cant wait to get the foam hood sealing strips on there. This is after i already had the slp lid and filter and bellows i noticed a big difference. This is a true ram air.
    A true ram is a supercharger or a turbo charger, anything else is wanna be.
    As for feeling it on the highway, thats all in your head.
    A 10 h.p increase if you get even that much from the Jamm is not something that a person can feel. A person would be lucky to gain a tenth at the track from 10 rwhp.
    Generally speaking it take a bump of 10% in power for a person to actually feel it.

i just dont think the crappy quality and structural support of the volant is worth it since it probably wouldnt provide any more power
    Lol, you have a aftermarket bellows, something thats useless for power and question the power that another item makes.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 09-26-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    A 10 h.p increase if you get even that much from the Jamm is not something that a person can feel. A person would be lucky to gain a tenth at the track from 10 rwhp.
    Generally speaking it take a bump of 10% in power for a person to actually feel it.

Lol, you have a aftermarket bellows, something thats useless for power and question the power that another item makes.
    the bellows were one of the first things i ever did. whether or not it gives any hp is up for debate but at least it smoothes the airflow and looks nicer than the accordian one.

secondly, i took the car out before installing the jaam and removing the hood baffles and then after doing that and it was definetely noticeable at 60mph+. i removed the baffles and installed the jaam at the same time. Maybe it picked up more hp than 10? but whatever it picked up it is pretty obvious.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    hey now i have do disagree ..my car was a dog up top before i de-baffled my suncoast creation ram air hood..it is a sealed box ..and from about 120-35ish it was dead slow..de-baffled and it was able to smoothly go past 135ish..only did it 2 tho . but i think it is noticeable on certain intake systems when you de-baffle

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Wow lol touchy touchy JAAM is the way to go with a ws6. Thats what i keep hearing so i'm rolling with it.

Thread Information