Results 1 to 14 of 14

Intake/TB Question...

This is a discussion on Intake/TB Question... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just put on a Weiand aluminum intake and the stock (P&P) throttle body is to small for it, there's ...

  1. #1
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Intake/TB Question...

    I just put on a Weiand aluminum intake and the stock (P&P) throttle body is to small for it, there's a vacuum leak coming from it. I looked online and it says that it supports the stock LS1/LS6 throttle bodies. Well, I guess my question is are there any differences in LS1 throttle bodies throughout 98-02? Has this happened to anyone else?

    P.S. It also says in the intake manual to add ultra blue permatex to the gaskets before dropping the intake on... (Who the hell does that?!?!)

  2. #2
    Senior Member bills98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Thomas, PA
    Posts
    5,047

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Check the hoses on the rear of the intake ? I didn't use permatex on mine... Also,check the injector O-rings... Oil them before installing to help them slide in.
    The TB should fit with no problems...

  3. #3
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Check the hoses on the rear of the intake ? I didn't use permatex on mine... Also,check the injector O-rings... Oil them before installing to help them slide in.
    The TB should fit with no problems...
    Hoses on the rear are fine, used a smoke machine and also sprayed everything down w/ brake cleaner...nothing. I put vasoline on the o-rings on day 1. I'm thinkin that maybe, just maybe the intake needs to be re-surfaced where it hooks upto the TB... but just incase it doesnt, I ordered a 80mm TB to cancel it out from being the problem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bills98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Thomas, PA
    Posts
    5,047

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Was the plate under the intake pre-installed ? Hopefully, that's OK...
    I have the 80mm BBK TB on mine, nice combo !!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    I'm thinkin that maybe, just maybe the intake needs to be re-surfaced where it hooks upto the TB....
    I would also have it resurfaced, both sides, where it meets the heads. The problem with used intakes, unfortunately, is that you never know what they've been through....

    BTW, nice kill on that '07 Eclipse...!

  6. #6
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Was the plate under the intake pre-installed ? Hopefully, that's OK...
    I have the 80mm BBK TB on mine, nice combo !!!
    It was preinstalled, but I took it off, put a new gasket on, and torqued it to spec. I honestly tried not to overlook anything since the swap was a PITA to begin w/... I'm going for a polished "Professional Products" tb. Can't beat it for $200.00 brand new!

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    I would also have it resurfaced, both sides, where it meets the heads. The problem with used intakes, unfortunately, is that you never know what they've been through....
    BTW, nice kill on that '07 Eclipse...!
    Well, they messed w/ the throttle body & determined that, and only that was the cause of the noise. Thank god they didn't bang me for takin the intake back off. That Eclipse was actually faster than I thought, I saw an exhaust, but I wonder whatelse he's hiding. BTW... If you ate that burger, I woulda posted another kill story! LMAO!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Well, they messed w/ the throttle body & determined that, and only that was the cause of the noise. Thank god they didn't bang me for takin the intake back off. That Eclipse was actually faster than I thought, I saw an exhaust, but I wonder whatelse he's hiding. BTW, If you ate that burger, I woulda posted another kill story! LMAO!
    Hopefully they resolve the matter quickly, and definitely follow up when all their work is done. That burger looked nasty, and appeared to be smiling back at me lol. That waitress thing was funny bro, woke up the next morning like WTF was I thinking LMAO....

  8. #8
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Hopefully they resolve the matter quickly, and definitely follow up when all their work is done. That burger looked nasty, and appeared to be smiling back at me lol. That waitress thing was funny bro, woke up the next morning like WTF was I thinking LMAO....
    Yea, the waitress thing was funny, but not as funny as the guy tryin to fight everyone and fell right on his face as he was leaving. Dave just looked at my car, he said it's the idle air motor on the top of the throttle body. He said it either needs to be cleaned cause it might not be seating well or I just need a new throttle body. I'm gonna try to find a tb to swap it out w/ just for some trial and error...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Yea, the waitress thing was funny, but not as funny as the guy tryin to fight everyone and fell right on his face as he was leaving. Dave just looked at my car, he said it's the idle air motor on the top of the throttle body. He said it either needs to be cleaned cause it might not be seating well or I just need a new throttle body. I'm gonna try to find a tb to swap it out w/ just for some trial and error...
    A dirty IAC doesn't justify a whole new throttle body (remember, it worked fine with the other intake manifold). Take the IAC out, and clean the carbon out thoroughly with a toothbrush, in fact, clean the entire throttle body with some solvent while your at it. It might be where the throttle body meets the intake manifold, you'll need to have the intake's neck re-surfaced. Could possibly be apart of a bad batch from BBK. Did you re-use the stock gasket when you installed the used aluminum manifold w/your throttle body....?

    About Tony's Eclipse, it's his power to weight ratio, along with the factory gearing, which allowed him to stay with you. That 3.8 engine is definitely no slouch, and can rev to the moon from the factory (263 @ the crank). It's his GSX which you now have to watch out for. Gonna have it trailored to my house so my cousin can look at it, and once it's back on the road, he'll probably pull my LS1 very easily ....

    Gonna have some fun with my '91 Formula over @ Raceway Park on Friday night, and we're headed out to Route 37. Finally got my cousin wanting to go, especially after raving about Tom's EVO. Thing sounded sweet as hell, but both he and his girl looked a little trashed though lol....

    Happy 4th bro!!!!!

  10. #10
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    It's his GSX which you now have to watch out for. Gonna have it trailored to my house so my cousin can look at it, and once it's back on the road, he'll probably pull my LS1 very easily ....
    Yea, I told Dave my friend has a stock turbo from a 1st gen Talon he's selling for $100.00 for the GSX.
    Have a great 4th man!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Yea, I told Dave my friend has a stock turbo from a 1st gen Talon he's selling for $100.00 for the GSX...
    Nawhh, Tony's going with a bigger turbo over stock. Spoke to a few DSM'ers, and they gave us some sweet ideas for some turbo selections. I might even sell him one of mine, cuz I'm contemplating throwing a single turbo charger on my LS1....

    = no drinking for me tonight.....

    Enjoy!

  12. #12
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Did you re-use the stock gasket when you installed the used aluminum manifold w/your throttle body....?
    All new gaskets on everything since I switched from a plastic to aluminum manifold I had to use a different type of gasket. The o-ring style gaskets I just left on the plastic LS1 manifold when I took it off.

  13. #13
    Member Boosted89rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    jamesburg
    Posts
    155

    blue
    89 Camaro RS

    dont forget the fact that the tb u have somone drilled an idle hole in the blade.though we eliminated that as a noise issue by temporarily plugging up the hole with the motor idling

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    loyall ky
    Posts
    347

    black, and black
    04 M6

    door mat

    dam i wish i was a door mat

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS6 intake question
    By JayTA98 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM
  2. Question on intake.
    By Black95Z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
  3. ram air intake question
    By bmwmteam in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 08:11 AM
  4. Intake Question
    By bwinch in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
  5. LSX Intake Question
    By XtinKt in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •