2000 Trans Am

Question intake question........

How will an slp smooth bellows help my horse power........and also how will a slp maf throttle air intake help........and are they worth the money????

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    How will an slp smooth bellows help my horse power........and also how will a slp maf throttle air intake help........and are they worth the money????
    smooth bellows wont help horse power like slp likes to claim. it just a smoother path for air coming from the maf into the throttle body rather than the stock accordian tubing. i dont know about the maf but ive been told by alot of people on here that you should just stick with the stock maf as its good for up to 500 hp. i discovered that i had the "slp cold air intake" that the previous owner put on. he did the free ram air mod (thats an ok thing so do it) which is cutting out the bottom of the lid tray under the air filter. since my baffles were already cut and there is a shrowd in front of the radiator i found that my "cold air intake" was more or less, restrictive. so i took that bitch off. some may say that the maf is good, others will say its a pain. i say stick with what you have, get a lid and if you can get the smooth bellows for cheap, do it. but the lid is where the extra hp is, not the bellows.

2000 Trans Am

i won the smoothe bellows on ebay for cheap. so i will put that on....but as far as cutting out underneith the air box......how hard is that to do and is it really worth it......i wanted to get an slp cold air intake but not if it isn't gonna be worth it....what is a good way to get good horsepower cheap.....i already have the ws6 package with loudmouth exhaust.......how can I get good horsepower cheap?..........

Pewter
    2000 z28

i won the smoothe bellows on ebay for cheap. so i will put that on....but as far as cutting out underneith the air box......how hard is that to do and is it really worth it......i wanted to get an slp cold air intake but not if it isn't gonna be worth it....what is a good way to get good horsepower cheap.....i already have the ws6 package with loudmouth exhaust.......how can I get good horsepower cheap?..........
    i think that moderately cutting the tray will give you a few extra ponies. go to http://installuniversity.com to see how to do it step by step. not hard at all and takes about half an hour. cheap and hp dont go together perse but im in the same boat so here is my advice.
    1. sub frame connectors
    2. headers. (pacesetters are inexpensive and good)
    3. stall if your an a4 or maybe some 4:10s if youre an m6
    you could always get the ls6 intake also which is an added benefit for mods in the future. to be honest, i wouldnt go ape shit trying to find new stuff for cheap. go into the parts section on this site and chat with some people. everyones really cool and will help you out and give you a fair deal i promise. headers are headers,no ones gonna sell you bum stuff.

2000 Trans Am

can you send me that installuniversity link again for some reason it doesn't work

Pewter
    2000 z28

can you send me that installuniversity link again for some reason it doesn't work
    what? blasphemy!!! yeah man here it is http://www.installuniversity.com
    hopefully that works, if not just type it in, itll show up. so you just have a stock ws6 with the loudmouth? is it an a4 or m6. i need details!!!!
    i may be willing to give you my slp cold air tunnel (which is the main thing other than the lid) maybe a few bucks plus shipping. dont quote me on that though.... its wet and i cant test without it on yet.
    just let me know what you have so far and i can give you alittle advice from what little knowledge i possess. good luck man.
    John

2000 Trans Am

what do you mean m4 or m6 and how do i find out which one i have.....it's a 2000 pontiac trans am ws6...if that helps any.......

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

A4- 4 speed automatic
    M6- 6 speed manual

Bookmark this:

http://www.ls1tech.com/acronyms.html

2000 Trans Am

ok thanks........i hve a 4 speed automatic........

Pewter
    2000 z28

ok thanks........i hve a 4 speed automatic........
    then youre going to want to get a stall for your transmission. i would go 3200 to start. you'll probably have to get a higher stall later as you make more and more power, closer to a 4000 stall.
    but what do i know, i drive a manual.

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Are MAF's that bad? I can see tuning issues with real fat fuel trims and trying to work them out, but my buddy gave me an 06' GTO MAF w/ modified wire connections to boot and it pops at idle for several minutes and idle is a little rough, but really couldnt tell if it was my cam. My brother told me to take off the gto MAF and re-install the original ported and polished MAF!! Went to track to see any improvements and went slower!! Last pass 13.2@106.7, installed SLP cam 51011 and GTO MAF, went 13.3@106.1 and that was with 315's BFG's drag radials. Made 2 other attempts and this sucker really started to bogg down 2 and 3 gear at 13.7@103.4 and 14.01@104.1. What would you guys do in my situation?!!!

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by jrgswhitels1 View Post
    Are MAF's that bad? I can see tuning issues with real fat fuel trims and trying to work them out, but my buddy gave me an 06' GTO MAF w/ modified wire connections to boot and it pops at idle for several minutes and idle is a little rough, but really couldnt tell if it was my cam. My brother told me to take off the gto MAF and re-install the original ported and polished MAF!! Went to track to see any improvements and went slower!! Last pass 13.2@106.7, installed SLP cam 51011 and GTO MAF, went 13.3@106.1 and that was with 315's BFG's drag radials. Made 2 other attempts and this sucker really started to bogg down 2 and 3 gear at 13.7@103.4 and 14.01@104.1. What would you guys do in my situation?!!!
    put the stock one back on. and what do you mean ported and polished maf? i think you may have that confused with the throttle body.

2000 Trans Am

First of all about you runnint 13.2 what kind of car do you have and what do you have done to it.........cause when I bought my car brand new bone stock it ran 13.1 ......it's an ls1 trans am..........i was even beating ws6's times........

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

No, I am talking about the MAF!!! Took apart stock unit,ground down splitter smooth on both pieces, then honed out diameter smooth to enlarge the opening,finished with a super fine sand then polished it out, re-assembled it back together. My car is listed already on my loggin post! Its a 2000 Trans Am. Basic mod's done to car. K&N, Ported TB, MAF,catless,magnaflow muffler,bosch platium+4,modified air-silencer,Diablosport tune. Just found out that the 06 GTO MAF is a 90mm!! Holy cow, no wonder I kept'd bogging out! Cant keep up with the flow!

Thread Information