Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Intake Manifold Brands

This is a discussion on Intake Manifold Brands within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; trust me LS6 is only a 78mm and as far as your TB options go they are limited because you ...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

trust me LS6 is only a 78mm and as far as your TB options go they are limited because you can't put a 90mm tb on because they are 4 bolt and the ls6 is 3 bolt design besides there isn't much point for it anyway... a ported stock throttle body is more then sufficient for bolt ons and will be just fine for anything the LS6 intake can take... not much point going crazy with the tb when there is still an LS6 behind it...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    ok so the ls6 manifold has a 90mm throat, i really dont have any more mods after the intake, except gears. so what size tb should i get???
    if you get the ls6 intake just keep your stock tb and port and polish it

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if you get the ls6 intake just keep your stock tb and port and polish it
    ok will do that then, gotta find me an ls6 intake now.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

They are NOT hard to find. I think there are a couple in LS1.com For sale section right now actually.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    ok will do that then, gotta find me an ls6 intake now.
    BTW remember you'll have to get the coolant provisions as well to fit the ls6 intake.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    From what I've read LS2 intakes flow worse than a LS1 intake...Even the truck intakes flow better. LS6>LS2
    True!! LS6>LS2

LS6 = 78mm

Just do a LS6 and P & P your TB unless you plan big mods down the road. Then go FAST.

After having one there are bigger bang for the buck mods than FAST for sure.

Redvert... no idle probs here (well only cold start cause the cam is b!tchy lol).

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    True!! LS6>LS2

LS6 = 78mm

Just do a LS6 and P & P your TB unless you plan big mods down the road. Then go FAST.

After having one there are bigger bang for the buck mods than FAST for sure.

Redvert... no idle probs here (well only cold start cause the cam is b!tchy lol).
    Well I got it fixed eventually. It just tended to idle very high in the beginning, around 2300 rpm and sometimes I'd get throttle stick while driving. Its a 90 though, its meant for 400+ cubic inch and so far I'm still at 346 (Future mods on the way). I've been told the new 92mm version greatly improved on the functionality, so anyone who has it shouldn't run into as many problems as I did. Is yours a 78, 90, or 92 mm piece?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Well I got it fixed eventually. It just tended to idle very high in the beginning, around 2300 rpm and sometimes I'd get throttle stick while driving. Its a 90 though, its meant for 400+ cubic inch and so far I'm still at 346 (Future mods on the way). I've been told the new 92mm version greatly improved on the functionality, so anyone who has it shouldn't run into as many problems as I did. Is yours a 78, 90, or 92 mm piece?
    Mines a 90/90. TB is a FAST too which had a bad rap for sticking but I have had no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Mines a 90/90. TB is a FAST too which had a bad rap for sticking but I have had no issues with it.
    My throttle is 90 Fast as well. About 4 months after I got my 90/90 in they came out with the 92's for the same price. I was pissed. Not much difference in flow (5%) but if I had known I still would have waited.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

would the bbk ssi intake (jegs part#129-5004) be a upgrade from my stock ls6 intake?02 trans am ws6.i don't want to spend $500 bucks if it is not a better intake than i already have.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    would the bbk ssi intake (jegs part#129-5004) be a upgrade from my stock ls6 intake?02 trans am ws6.i don't want to spend $500 bucks if it is not a better intake than i already have.
    Don't think so.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    most dont like the bbk decause it not plastic. it like to hold the heat alot more then say a fast would.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

thanks for the info.the ad in jeg's says 12-15 rwhp gain and the price($479) is what got me interested.but i don't trust ads,so that's why i asked y'all.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    IMO, the only two options would be the LS6 or the FAST 90mm OR 92mm. In your case, I would pick up an LS6. The FAST is pretty expensive. As of right now it is top of the line intake no doubt. Some magical day in fairy tale land the Street Warrior intake will come out, then there will be some options up and above the LS6. FAST will see bigger gains when you pair it up with a decent/nice pair of ported heads, then a cam. I would spend my money on the FAST IF I was you right now. LS6 will do you good.

What he said^^

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

like said above Fast makes the best, ls6s are good for the money also....

stay away from metal intakes, they will heatsoak like a bitch.....

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    like said above Fast makes the best, ls6s are good for the money also....

stay away from metal intakes, they will heatsoak like a bitch.....
    Incorrect. Heatsoak isnt a big of an issue with these intakes because there isnt coolant going through them. Giant thread on tech about this with some testing.

They will cool off very quickly do to the fact that there is NO coolant going through them...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Incorrect. Heatsoak isnt a big of an issue with these intakes because there isnt coolant going through them. Giant thread on tech about this with some testing.

They will cool off very quickly do to the fact that there is NO coolant going through them...
    I realize the no coolant, but im talking heat from the heads and motor, the composite one will not get near as warm as a full metal one....

White
    1998 Trans Am

I run the Wien aluminum intake. It does get hot and stays hot. I do like how it flows though ! The advantage is, it will take a NOS backfire with out blowing apart !!! LOL !!!
    Dis-advantage is, it stays hot... not hot enough to fry eggs !!!

Wait a second, if you are afraid or nitrous backfire the FAST setup has a burst panel provision for this. The burst panels protect your intake from excessive boost and nitrous backfires. I've already gone over this before.

As for heatsoak, although the metal intakes run rellatively cool, the composite intakes will still run cooler than the metal ones will. It doesn't matter if coolant goes through them or not, the fact is metal retains heat more than plastic. There's also a reason GM decided to switch to composite intakes. I don't care what kind of testing has been done, its a simple property of physics, and no one on this thread is going to disprove the laws of physics.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I run the Wien aluminum intake. It does get hot and stays hot. I do like how it flows though ! The advantage is, it will take a NOS backfire with out blowing apart !!! LOL !!!
    Dis-advantage is, it stays hot... not hot enough to fry eggs !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Wait a second, if you are afraid or nitrous backfire the FAST setup has a burst panel provision for this. The burst panels protect your intake from excessive boost and nitrous backfires. I've already gone over this before.

As for heatsoak, although the metal intakes run rellatively cool, the composite intakes will still run cooler than the metal ones will. It doesn't matter if coolant goes through them or not, the fact is metal retains heat more than plastic. There's also a reason GM decided to switch to composite intakes. I don't care what kind of testing has been done, its a simple property of physics, and no one on this thread is going to disprove the laws of physics.

Exactly my points... well stated boys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information