Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gearhead

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Intake "heatsoak" question...

Okay, so as much as I'm not sold on the metal "heatsoak" fiasco, I do have to ask...

If you were to drop the temperature rating on the thermostat and reprogram the computer for the fans, wouldn't this assist in removing any heatsoak by dropping the temperature of the motor (albeit slightly)?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i dont think so.the thermostat reads coolant temp..not intake air temp...i dont believe in all the heat soak hype either..maybe in road/AutoX situations where the car is constantly being ran hard i can see...but not a DD or even a drag car.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Like said above in my opinion it wouldnt even come into play unless you had a straight up drag car or Cross car.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Gearhead

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Interesting replies. I'm glad to see others' opinions of the metal intake
    "heatsoak" is similar to mine.

My logic was, if you could make the coolant controlled areas of the motor a few degrees less, then that would cause the metals of which the intake touches to be cooler, thus transferring less heat.

New Era has great deals on some of the intakes right now. Much cheaper than even larger competitors.... this, I think, may nudge me into some purchases....

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I don't really believe all the heat soak issues either, I have been thinking about getting a metal intake also. Some of them look badass compared to the plastic ones...

Quote Originally Posted by WS6ICK2K View Post
    I don't really believe all the heat soak issues either,
    The heatsoak issue has been proven time and time again both on the dyno and the track. LS1 metal intakes heatsoak and and cause a drop in power and performance.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    The heatsoak issue has been proven time and time again both on the dyno and the track. LS1 metal intakes heatsoak and and cause a drop in power and performance.
    how so on the dyno ? are they ran over and over again? how long of a break ? a dyno isnt great proof of heat soak...a stationary car will be sucking in ALOT more hot air then a car in motion ..and at the track ? are we talking oval, road course or drag strip ?

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

I have a victor junior intake manifold and it doesn't effect shit.
    All this is is something to argue about. Worried about heat soak then use meth.

The engine starts and gets up to operating temperature. That's why I laugh at guys icing down their intake. It's ludicrous.

How many plastic intake manifolds do you see on 8-7-6 second cars? Very few.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i guess not even the coolant temp, but think about how hot you block and heads get. i would imagine that there is def some heat transfer to the intake (if it was metal). even at that i dont think there would be a HUGE difference.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 View Post
    I have a victor junior intake manifold and it doesn't effect shit.
    All this is is something to argue about. Worried about heat soak then use meth.

The engine starts and gets up to operating temperature. That's why I laugh at guys icing down their intake. It's ludicrous.

How many plastic intake manifolds do you see on 8-7-6 second cars? Very few.
    i would think that has alot to do with pressure. many of those 8 sec cars are FI. plus there cars dont run long enough for it to make that big of a difference.

Sebring Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i would think that has alot to do with pressure. many of those 8 sec cars are FI. plus there cars dont run long enough for it to make that big of a difference.
    how bout indy cars, they tend to run....

Stock
    2002 Camaro

how bout indy cars, they tend to run....
    Click for full size
    that kinda looks like carbon fiber to me

Sebring Silver

it's not. Nascar uses metal intake manifolds too.

http://www.revolutiondyno.com/pdf/Ch...ies_Engine.pdf

Stock
    2002 Camaro

we also dont have that high HP, or run to that high of an RPM so it apples and oranges. i would still rather just run cooler. I would almost say that %100 of the time, a metal intake will have a higher temp than a non. even if its just surface temp and only a couple of degrees. plus in our market, FAST has the best intake hands down and they are made of "plastic".

Sebring Silver

we also dont have that high HP, or run to that high of an RPM so it apples and oranges. i would still rather just run cooler. I would almost say that %100 of the time, a metal intake will have a higher temp than a non. even if its just surface temp and only a couple of degrees. plus in our market, FAST has the best intake hands down and they are made of "plastic".
    Ok, so let's just whittle this down till it fits your application.

first, I'm running 700hp, so yeah, it does apply. And don't contridict yourself, if you're not making big power what do you care about a couple of degrees? Might as well keep the LS1 or port an LS6. There isn't that much of a difference of $400 from one to the other.

second, fast does not have the best intake manifold hands down. Any sheet metal intake will outflow the fast. The VJ outflows the Fast.
    The Victor Junior will also give you even distribution of nitrous, unlike the fast (unless you have direct port) which again, is cheaper on the victor junior.
    Third there is less of a chance of #7 & 8 going tits up with a VJ.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Ok, so let's just whittle this down till it fits your application.

first, I'm running 700hp, so yeah, it does apply. And don't contridict yourself, if you're not making big power what do you care about a couple of degrees? Might as well keep the LS1 or port an LS6. There isn't that much of a difference of $400 from one to the other.

second, fast does not have the best intake manifold hands down. Any sheet metal intake will outflow the fast. The VJ outflows the Fast.
    The Victor Junior will also give you even distribution of nitrous, unlike the fast (unless you have direct port) which again, is cheaper on the victor junior.
    Third there is less of a chance of #7 & 8 going tits up with a VJ.
    ok i see where you are coming from but....

1st why do i care if im not making "big" power
    i just dont really want to spend my money on old technology

2nd even distribution of N20 better with VJ (unless direct port, but expensive)
    I dont think that anyone who is MODing their car (esp with N20) should be on a "Budget" (cheap parts equal problems most of the time), now i am not saying anything bad about the VJ, as i dont know much about it. so a far as N20 (direct port), i would rather go with FAST.

so i would imagine that since you are making 700HP you engine and supporting parts are under quite a bit of stress, and the metal intake would be warrented. I think it really is personal perferance. I would just think that if there were a better cheaper intake (over fast) more people would go with it insted. just a thought

Sebring Silver

ok i see where you are coming from but....

1st why do i care if im not making "big" power
    i just dont really want to spend my money on old technology

2nd even distribution of N20 better with VJ (unless direct port, but expensive)
    I dont think that anyone who is MODing their car (esp with N20) should be on a "Budget" (cheap parts equal problems most of the time), now i am not saying anything bad about the VJ, as i dont know much about it. so a far as N20 (direct port), i would rather go with FAST.
    I'm not flaming you, but you're not understanding what I'm saying.
    A VJ is CHEAPER and BETTER then a Fast when it comes to spray. A $150 spray bar will put the fuel and spray evenly into all the cylinders.

With a Fast you're fucked on the #7 and 8 (the ones that always take a shit) because those cylinders are at the back and starved. Even on stock motors this is the case.
    With direct port it's going to cost you another $1000 dollars over the 800 dollar manifold, and $500 trottle body.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I'm not flaming you, but you're not understanding what I'm saying.
    A VJ is CHEAPER and BETTER then a Fast when it comes to spray. A $150 spray bar will put the fuel and spray evenly into all the cylinders.

With a Fast you're fucked on the #7 and 8 (the ones that always take a shit) because those cylinders are at the back and starved. Even on stock motors this is the case.
    With direct port it's going to cost you another $1000 dollars over the 800 dollar manifold, and $500 trottle body.
    No i am understanding, but you arent.

I said ok thats fine for you, when i do mods i save up and get what i want, not whats cheaper. so the FAST direct port would be what i would do.
    Also just as a question: Why if it is such a better set-up, dont more people run them (the vj's)? do you think people want to spend more money for less of a product. once again it is personal preference! you like spending less money on a set-up that works just a good as a FAST direct prot set-up (which is more), but i would rather have the FAST. so whats so hard to understand?

and hey im not trying to flame you either.
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 03-18-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Gearhead

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Personally, still, I'd go with an aluminum intake over a plastic one.

Three reasons:

1) I intend to supercharge the motor.

2) I can't justify over twice the cost on a plastic manifold that I have yet to see unbiased evidence proving it is a better product.

3) Metal intakes have been run for years on cars making quite a bit of power, and I'd think if it made such a difference, GM would have swapped over years ago. I personally do believe the only reason for swapping is simply cost shaving. Aluminum is by far more expensive of a material than plastic. If someone can quote a GM engineer to the contrary, I'd love to see it. (EDIT: As I did some research on the Aluminum market, it had indeed skyrocketed from the late 90's through to around late 2007, where the economy began to falter, and the price has tanked since, which would explain why aluminum intakes are getting so affordable suddenly.)
    Last edited by Szalkerous; 03-19-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Szalkerous View Post
    Personally, still, I'd go with an aluminum intake over a plastic one.

Three reasons:

1) I intend to supercharge the motor.

2) I can't justify over twice the cost on a plastic manifold that I have yet to see unbiased evidence proving it is a better product.

3) Metal intakes have been run for years on cars making quite a bit of power, and I'd think if it made such a difference, GM would have swapped over years ago. I personally do believe the only reason for swapping is simply cost shaving. Aluminum is by far more expensive of a material than plastic. If someone can quote a GM engineer to the contrary, I'd love to see it. (EDIT: As I did some research on the Aluminum market, it had indeed skyrocketed from the late 90's through to around late 2007, where the economy began to falter, and the price has tanked since, which would explain why aluminum intakes are getting so affordable suddenly.)

They did! what comes on the LSx engines???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information