Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Intake/Header Install

Ok ive got a 2000 SS M6. Im getting ready to do full exhaust and swap the intake manifold. I have the LS6 intake, the LS6 coolant pipe kit, 1 3/4 QTP race headers, and 3" TSP true duals. I plan on getting rid of EGR/AIR. Is there anything else I will need to complete this project? How do I connect my TSP duals to my headers? Also I am moving around 2,000 miles, I plan on trailering my car, but if I have to drive it that far after doing the headers, Will I be able to? Thanks for the help.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Now would be the perfect time to change your plugs and possibly your wires as well. Did you buy new header bolts and gaskets?

I can't think of a reason why you would not be able to drive your car 2k miles either.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

I actually just did the plugs and wires about 1,000 miles ago. I used MSD wires and AC/delco iridum plugs. I did not get gaskets or header bolts. Will I be able to use the stock gaskets? Also what header bolts do you recommend? Thanks

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Not sure if you need any help with your install or not. But here you go anyway. Complete write up on Intake swap and header swap. www.LS1Howto.com in my personal expirience I found it best to stand the headers up on the merge collector and go up from under the car (w/kooks or QTP headers). Also you should have 3" merge collectors so the TSP tru-duals will bolt right up to the headers.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    Not sure if you need any help with your install or not. But here you go anyway. Complete write up on Intake swap and header swap. www.LS1Howto.com in my personal expirience I found it best to stand the headers up on the merge collector and go up from under the car (w/kooks or QTP headers). Also you should have 3" merge collectors so the TSP tru-duals will bolt right up to the headers.
    I see the intake swap write up, but i don not see any header install?? Here is a pic of the duals ( I am buying them used). http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...arParts024.jpg I dont see any merge collectors on them. Can I just take the ends to a shop and have them weld on some collectors?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I actually just did the plugs and wires about 1,000 miles ago. I used MSD wires and AC/delco iridum plugs. I did not get gaskets or header bolts. Will I be able to use the stock gaskets? Also what header bolts do you recommend? Thanks
    I use the stage 8 locking header bolts and really like them. You should be ok re-using the stock gaskets as well. Since you recently changed out your plugs and wires, it sounds like you are in good shape. Good luck with it

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

When you do the intake, maybe get a oil pressure sender just in case. Its very easy to break when removing the manifold because of the brake booster vacuum hose that runs behind it. I thought I was being very careful when I did my swap and still broke it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Unplug the brake booster line from the master cylinder and that will help in preventing the oil sensor from getting broke.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Very cool, thanks for all the info guys. Do i need to swap out the gaskets on the intake manifold? It came off a car with around 90K miles. Gaskets look good, but I dont want to have to tear off the intake manifold later down the road due to bad gaskets. How can I make sure I have a good seal around the piece on the back of the intake manifold. Thanks for the help.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Very cool, thanks for all the info guys. Do i need to swap out the gaskets on the intake manifold? It came off a car with around 90K miles. Gaskets look good, but I dont want to have to tear off the intake manifold later down the road due to bad gaskets. How can I make sure I have a good seal around the piece on the back of the intake manifold. Thanks for the help.
    I dont think you need to but you will be regreting it if something happens and you lean out a cylinder and grenade a piston because you used an old gasket that failed on you or if you have to do all that work taking it apart and putting it back on when you could have done it in the first place. I say do it once and do it right

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I see the intake swap write up, but i don not see any header install?? Here is a pic of the duals ( I am buying them used). http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...arParts024.jpg I dont see any merge collectors on them. Can I just take the ends to a shop and have them weld on some collectors?
    looking at that picture it looks like the previous owner welded on some 3"pipe to the front of your x pipe. Probably to be able to hook them to stock manifolds or shory's maybe even mid length headers.. Just cut them off right at the welds. you dont need the extra pipe with the longtubes. and as far as the merge collectors they are already attached to your Headers. Once you have the extra pipe cut off your tru duals they should fit nicely. get two extra clamps and bolt you exhaust right to your headers. the clamps should have came with the tru duals but apparently the previous owner needed some extra pipe and welded on and probably just tossed the clamps since he didnt need them anymore. .....Hey take a pic of your mufflers, do you know which ones you have?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I was thinking I seen a write up on a header swap on there but I guess not. Realisticly it is not hard, well let me say it is not too complex how is that. I would just work my way backwards when starting. You know take exhaust off first then manifolds. Then put LT's on and tru duals.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html

this one should apply to you very well.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406318

Found these posted by another member in another post. Good looking out fellas.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    looking at that picture it looks like the previous owner welded on some 3"pipe to the front of your x pipe. Probably to be able to hook them to stock manifolds or shory's maybe even mid length headers.. Just cut them off right at the welds. you dont need the extra pipe with the longtubes. and as far as the merge collectors they are already attached to your Headers. Once you have the extra pipe cut off your tru duals they should fit nicely. get two extra clamps and bolt you exhaust right to your headers. the clamps should have came with the tru duals but apparently the previous owner needed some extra pipe and welded on and probably just tossed the clamps since he didnt need them anymore. .....Hey take a pic of your mufflers, do you know which ones you have?
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...arParts023.jpg

I think there dynomax. So I can just cut the pipe and then just slid the headers over the pipe and clamp it down?? Heres a pic of the headers
    http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...nger09/qtp.jpg

Thanks for all the help man I really appreciate it.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I think there dynomax. So I can just cut the pipe and then just slid the headers over the pipe and clamp it down?? Heres a pic of the headers

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=56

you can see a picture of the parts that come with the system from TSP. not the clearest pictures but give you a general idea of where you may need to cut the excess piping off. And Yeah you should be able to slide them right together and use a band clamp to keep them together. Just make sure you get the welds off and make it smooth again.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Yep they look like the dynomax bullets to me. When I ordered mine the dynomax were on back order so I got the Sweet thunder mufflers. I Love them though. With the LT and true duals your car will sound like a beast especially at WOT.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

You know what. Now that I am looking at both pictures (yours and the TSP website.) it looks like on the passenger side there was only one small piece added (where the weld is) and on the driver side I am not too sure on how much was added, quite possible the previous owner fabbed up a piece to use instead of the piece the kit comes with, kinda looks to be a different shape to me but I could be wrong. Perhaps if you email TSP they can shoot you back with some better pictures so maybe you could tell the difference better. Or just ask the previous owner what Headers he was running with this exhaust. Ask if they were long tubes or not. No biggie really, you can always do some modifying and make them work.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I tried to cut and paste your picture and highlight or circle the areas I was talking about but I cant figure out how to get it to let me circle or highlight the areas. Sorry.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

i sent the owner a pm, but he still hasnt gotten back to me yet. At worst I can just cut the extra pipe and then clamp it all together right?

Thread Information