Results 1 to 19 of 19

Intake, exhaust?

This is a discussion on Intake, exhaust? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey, i just got a 2001 camaro z28 with a 6-speed. it is bone stock right now. i want to ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    7
    2001 camaro Z28

    Intake, exhaust?

    hey, i just got a 2001 camaro z28 with a 6-speed. it is bone stock right now. i want to do catback, intake, and gears for now and later on do LT headers. Is the pacesetter exh. any good or should i with flowmaster or hooker? does the slp intake lid do anything? im gonna do the free ram-air mod too. what are the best money for hp mods for the ls1. im new to the ls1's, coming from supercharged mustangs
    thanks

  2. #2
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    01 and 02 models have the LS6 intake already. The LS6 intake provides about 10-15 RWHP more than the LS1 intake. There is no real need to swap your intake out until you get into heads/cam and then you can move up to a Fast 90/90 or 92/92 setup.

    The SLP lid or any aftermarket lid provides about 10 RWHP over the stock induction as well.

    Pacesetter long tubes are very good headers for the LS1. Headers and exhaust provide about 20-30 RWHP for the LS1. Most people will steer you away from the Flowmaster for fbodies and tell you Hooker, Magnaflow, Borla, Corsa or some other catback.

    Best mods to do for a M6 LS1:

    1. Sub frame connectors (no glory, but necessary for fbodies)
    2. Headers/off road ypipe/catback
    3. Pro 5.0 shifter and a short throw
    4. Clutch
    5. 12 bolt or 9 inch rearend

    I wouldn't even waste my time or money putting gears into a M6/LS1 10 bolt combo. Might as well save now for an upgraded rearend and fix the weak link of the fbody now. You are pissing money away on putting gears into a 10 bolt that has a manual tranny.

  3. #3
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    i agree with preston ^^^^^^

  4. #4
    Member nillam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    392

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Thumbs up

    An easy mod is with a handheld tuner like the PREDATOR or SUPERCHIPS, they add 10 or 15 HP or there is some guy named FROST who does like mail order tune. The stock set up runs hot coolant through your throtte body, you can get a bypass kit on ebay for cheap and its easy, thats good for a couple ponies. If you dont have tons of money to do the exhaust properly with headers, high flow cats and catback you can add a 3" QTP electric exhaust cutout under rear passenger side, from stock to "LOUD" in 5 seconds it only cost me 200 bucks on ebay and 60 bucks to get it welded in. Not sure how much HP gained but it is fun and when the cops come I can close it up.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    An easy mod is with a handheld tuner like the PREDATOR or SUPERCHIPS, they add 10 or 15 HP or there is some guy named FROST who does like mail order tune. The stock set up runs hot coolant through your throtte body, you can get a bypass kit on ebay for cheap and its easy, thats good for a couple ponies. If you dont have tons of money to do the exhaust properly with headers, high flow cats and catback you can add a 3" QTP electric exhaust cutout under rear passenger side, from stock to "LOUD" in 5 seconds it only cost me 200 bucks on ebay and 60 bucks to get it welded in. Not sure how much HP gained but it is fun and when the cops come I can close it up.
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_03.html
    free mods link here. go for a dyno tune if possible. handhelds do more harm than good. they usually just play with the air to fuel ratio to make more power but its not to a point to where it is running clean. a dyno tune will hit the nail on the head between power and a good running set up for the car. a mail order tune will get it alot closer than a handheld aswell, but wont be a perfect setup like a hands on, up close and personal dyno tune. the mail order tune will still be great for driving still though. i just personally prefer having my car known by the tuner so they can get absolutely everything right. stainless headers is preferred for regular driving and the catback is more of how you like the sound than what brand is best. if you want strictly power though go for a true dual set up. intake will be lid. not much else to add on to intake aside from free mods. a pair of cutouts or one well placed one if money allows also. here is a site to hear some exhaust set ups though.http://www.ls1sounds.com/
    i would do free mods and then y2kpewterss' list.
    2000 white z28, t-tops, free mods, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, repro c5 z06 wheels, and some elbow grease here and there.

  6. #6
    Member nillam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    392

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_03.html
    free mods link here. go for a dyno tune if possible. handhelds do more harm than good. they usually just play with the air to fuel ratio to make more power but its not to a point to where it is running clean. a dyno tune will hit the nail on the head between power and a good running set up for the car. a mail order tune will get it alot closer than a handheld aswell, but wont be a perfect setup like a hands on, up close and personal dyno tune. the mail order tune will still be great for driving still though. i just personally prefer having my car known by the tuner so they can get absolutely everything right. stainless headers is preferred for regular driving and the catback is more of how you like the sound than what brand is best. if you want strictly power though go for a true dual set up. intake will be lid. not much else to add on to intake aside from free mods. a pair of cutouts or one well placed one if money allows also. here is a site to hear some exhaust set ups though.http://www.ls1sounds.com/
    i would do free mods and then y2kpewterss' list.
    Handhelds do more harm than good? I have had mine for 2 yrs. without harm. What kind of harm are you talking about? I agree that dyno tune is better but if handhelds caused such harm then why did GMHTP do huge write up story about them with most adding at least 10-15 HP. Although expensive it is handy to have the handheld around for code reading and future changes. 10-15 HP in 10 minutes aint bad.

  7. #7
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    Handhelds do more harm than good? I have had mine for 2 yrs. without harm. What kind of harm are you talking about? I agree that dyno tune is better but if handhelds caused such harm then why did GMHTP do huge write up story about them with most adding at least 10-15 HP. Although expensive it is handy to have the handheld around for code reading and future changes. 10-15 HP in 10 minutes aint bad.
    They way those handhelds achieve any kind of HP gain is by leaning your motor out. Leaning out the motor is not healthy. Its safer for the motor to run rich as opposed to lean. You are flirting with fire by using those handheld tunes.

  8. #8
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    As for the flowmaster catback, I have a friend who has one and for one it sounds ok. But I think a resonator broke in there because after every high rev there seems to be a bad cough/whistle-I laugh my ass off everytime he tries to rev at me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    Handhelds do more harm than good? I have had mine for 2 yrs. without harm. What kind of harm are you talking about? I agree that dyno tune is better but if handhelds caused such harm then why did GMHTP do huge write up story about them with most adding at least 10-15 HP. Although expensive it is handy to have the handheld around for code reading and future changes. 10-15 HP in 10 minutes aint bad.
    thank you y2k for the explanation. and as for the code reader autozone does them for free and a my tuner will take care of them if it is a computer problem. and i have a mechanic(whom i will never stray from unless he or i move far away) if the job is too big for my lack of time and skills.

  10. #10
    Member nillam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    392

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    thank you y2k for the explanation. and as for the code reader autozone does them for free and a my tuner will take care of them if it is a computer problem. and i have a mechanic(whom i will never stray from unless he or i move far away) if the job is too big for my lack of time and skills.
    How about future changes? Will autozone help you recalibrate your speedo for diff. tire sizes and gear ratios? or change your fan temps? or turn on or off your skip shift in manual cars? or change shift points for automatics? raising your top speed limiter or rev limiter? Where is auto zone then? It's very convenient to do it myself on my driveway.

  11. #11
    Member nillam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    392

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    They way those handhelds achieve any kind of HP gain is by leaning your motor out. Leaning out the motor is not healthy. Its safer for the motor to run rich as opposed to lean. You are flirting with fire by using those handheld tunes.
    I have had my SUPERCHIPS for over 2 years and have not had any problems. If they were bad I would know it buy now, dont you think? Obviously I agree that a proper tune would be best, but these are not bad.

  12. #12
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    I have had my SUPERCHIPS for over 2 years and have not had any problems. If they were bad I would know it buy now, dont you think? Obviously I agree that a proper tune would be best, but these are not bad.
    Have you ever had your air/fuel ratio tested?

  13. #13
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    How about future changes? Will autozone help you recalibrate your speedo for diff. tire sizes and gear ratios? or change your fan temps? or turn on or off your skip shift in manual cars? or change shift points for automatics? raising your top speed limiter or rev limiter? Where is auto zone then? It's very convenient to do it myself on my driveway.
    that is why i have my tuner. when you become a reg or spend quite a bit of money they dont mind minor details like that.

  14. #14
    Member nillam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    392

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Have you ever had your air/fuel ratio tested?
    No, my car runs very good though. Will it run better if I get it tested? Where should it be at?

  15. #15
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    No, my car runs very good though. Will it run better if I get it tested? Where should it be at?

    12.7:1 to 13:1 ratio is ideal range. I can almost guarantee you are running lean, around 14:1 or 15:1 range and shortening the lifespan of your engine.

  16. #16
    Member nillam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    392

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    12.7:1 to 13:1 ratio is ideal range. I can almost guarantee you are running lean, around 14:1 or 15:1 range and shortening the lifespan of your engine.
    point taken! Thanks.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    7
    2001 camaro Z28

    ok, i think im going to get the pacesetter cat-back exhaust. how is this exhaust? and an SLP lid for now.

  18. #18
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1curt View Post
    ok, i think im going to get the pacesetter cat-back exhaust. how is this exhaust? and an SLP lid for now.
    Solid choice to begin with. Exhaust mods are more of how you want the car to sound. Most flow very well, pacesetters included

  19. #19
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I agree with 00z28bubba & Y2KPewterSS, ive had 5 camaro's and know these cars very well. Hell on my 95 Auto the HPP3 ruined my computer and tranny not to mention my friends T/A after using the programmer ran worse meaning slower. There are many examples of Good and bads with handhelds but i have to admit ive had nothing but good things to say about getting mail order tunes and especially dyno tunes.

    Ive had tunes from Alvin from PCMforLESS, MadZ28 and now Steve Frost. All have been good experiences but of them all i have to admit Steve is the best and doing any type of adjustments as your modifying the car you can always send your computer back to Steve basically someone who knows what he is doing which is priceless then you sitting at the drivers seat guessing what might work or not or just as bad letting the handheld do it for you which is a very basic and general tune. Also if your looking to put on a exhuast cut out which i would recommend i know some wont, then you dont need to worry soo much as to what catback gives you the best HP but how you like the sound. Even so they dont vary by a whole lot between one catback to another as far as HP. With the cutout open it doesnt matter much just preference of how loud you want it and how it sounds. Either way GL OP.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: 99 C5 intake and exhaust build
    By raysz28 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 09:16 AM
  2. Question: Intake, exhaust, and programer
    By dishout26 in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
  3. Oil in Intake, Exhaust, Air filter
    By az gt eater in forum General Help
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM
  4. Question: Doing full exhaust/intake -- LS6 PCV and p&p TB?
    By phoenixXIV in forum External Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 09:14 AM
  5. LM exhaust and LS6 intake
    By Twigs in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •