Intake cleaning

This is a discussion on Intake cleaning within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; One of my buddies had an LSX motor in his race car. After a catastrophic failure he pulled the motor ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Intake cleaning

One of my buddies had an LSX motor in his race car. After a catastrophic failure he pulled the motor and swapped it for a carbed motor laying around in the shop. I took the LS6 intake because it looked ok. When I got home with it, I went to put it up and noticed some rattling. I got a light and checked it out and there are some metal pieces inside. I got most of them out and they look kinda like pieces of an exploded piston.

The question is, is there a good way to clean composite intakes and check them for internal damage? If it can be cleaned in a vat, I'll take it to a machine shop but I don't know if there's be an issue with chemicals in the cleaning process.

Black
    99 Silverado

Man, make sure you get that thing clean! Way back when I first got my Trans Am, the dealer had to put an engine in it under warranty because it had a knock at 21k miles - they put an intake full of the same kind of stuff on the new engine - when the peices of metal took out the new one a while later, they wouldn't touch it saying it was my fault... said there is no way it got in there from them. I knew better, but couldn't prove it...

I put it in a parts cleaner to get all the oil out, then used a good light and a scope to looked it over really good inside before using it on the new engine I had to get...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

A amchine shop will clean it for you - they won't boil it in a vat like they blocks, but will dunk it in a mild solution.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    One of my buddies had an LSX motor in his race car. After a catastrophic failure he pulled the motor and swapped it for a carbed motor laying around in the shop. I took the LS6 intake because it looked ok. When I got home with it, I went to put it up and noticed some rattling. I got a light and checked it out and there are some metal pieces inside. I got most of them out and they look kinda like pieces of an exploded piston.

The question is, is there a good way to clean composite intakes and check them for internal damage? If it can be cleaned in a vat, I'll take it to a machine shop but I don't know if there's be an issue with chemicals in the cleaning process.
    Man thats a tough one. Id look at it like this... If a $300 intake is worth a $3000 engine then give it a try but be ready to replace the engine if there is a piece stuck somewhere you dont see. Not trying to be a smartass but thats how Id have to look at it, as I dont have $3000 laying around...

Thread Information