Black
    2005 GTO

Which insulates better, Stainless steel or Ceramic.

Hi guys, I am looking at some new headers for my '01 Z28. Looking at some stainless ones on Ebay, but a little aprehesive as i will be using on the street as a dailey driver. Live in the snow belt and we use salt on roads. the corrosion resistance of stainless interest me, but I also want to keep under hood temps down. any thoughts on which is better, stainless or ceramic.
    thanks.

Black
    2004 Mustang GT

get ceramic. they are better in every possible way.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 40thgtfl View Post
    get ceramic. they are better in every possible way.
    how do you figure? over time they will flake and rust. stianless steel never will. so for him and me both, why would ceramic coated headers be better in every way possible?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

S.S all the way. however it doesnt insulate as well as ceramic i believe.

Black
    2005 GTO

If I could, I'd pop for both both my budget (read: wife) will only allow for one or the other. I'm just worried about melting stuff. thanks for the help guys.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    If I could, I'd pop for both both my budget (read: wife) will only allow for one or the other. I'm just worried about melting stuff. thanks for the help guys.
    you wont melt shit with any of the headers as long as nothing is laying on them. so go SS becuase for long run there is no better.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Depending on what brand you go with they all tuck away nicely, Shouldnt melt anything but keep an eye on your plug wires for the first few hundred miles, Also your 02 wires. Ceramic insulates better than SS but SS will hold up against the elements better, but in the end they will both break down. I would reccomend gettin some ceramic coated bc there about half the price and you can buy two sets for the price of one SS.
    Your call thou, both are a good choice just try and stay away from painted.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    04 silverado

Who, Who, Who, you can buy SS ceramic coated headers, if you can afford them, or you can go SS all the way for the whole exhaust and then get the whole thing coated by a performance shop $$$ but this is pricey$$$

Black
    2005 GTO

Thanks guys.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

I skipped to the bottom here, stainless steel is not an insulator at all, in fact it is a major heat conductor. You would want SS for its non-corrosive properties.

Ceramic is an insulator. That is why tops of pistons are coated with ceramic, as well as, exhaust headers.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

as far as ceramic coatings rusting, that depends on what cheap brand you buy. pacesetters are known for rusting. my bassani headers haven't since i bought them over two years ago.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

whs
    Quote Originally Posted by shabysurf View Post
    Who, Who, Who, you can buy SS ceramic coated headers, if you can afford them, or you can go SS all the way for the whole exhaust and then get the whole thing coated by a performance shop $$$ but this is pricey$$$
    Would there be a noticeable performance gain from having the exhaust coated all the way back? Obviously it would look good, and the exhaust gas temperature should stay higher longer than in untreated exhaust pipe.

I've been thinking of having the y-pipe that came with my Pacesetter headers coated to match them. If I have that done I might as well have the rather plain looking tips of the SLP dual dual exhaust done as well. I think that it would dress them up rather nicely.

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

no, exhaust velocity would benefit...y-pipe wouldnt be a bad idea, having the tips done would do nothing....

White
    98 Trans AM

I have Kooks SS headers and love 'em. For a DD though you probably would prefer ceramic coated but they as many have said are prone to scratches and will rust. The one plus though is if you are really concerned about how your headers look the SS will start to show signs of color change due to heat. Again, I am all for SS headers but just from what it sounds like you are after I would say coated but be aware any scratches on 'em with that salt and they will rust. Just my 2 cents.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

whs
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange SS View Post
    no, exhaust velocity would benefit...y-pipe wouldnt be a bad idea, having the tips done would do nothing....
    I was thinking of having the tips done as a purely cosmetic thing. For some reason the tips are rusted on the top and look like crap. Do you know of any chrome or stainless tips that would look good?

Thread Information