Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Installed Random Technology Cats Y Pipe

So they came,,and there on,,

Random Technology Ho Flow Cats and Y-Pipe...

Now I have to get is smogged,,california smog,,,but I can say that the flow from stock cats and stock y-pipe (wish LM1 exhaust) compared to know is more,,,Better sound,,and I can feel the power,,I still need a tune and once that is done a smog check,,

The over all install went well,,,I still have to bang the shiit on the loud mouth end to get it to go more into the y-pipe main tube,,that was the only issue,,,the random tech ypipe did not slip easily into the LM tube,,but thats because I could not get enough leverage to wiggle the pipes back and forth,,
    So its all bolted up and in a day or so I need to make some final adjustments,,something is hitting over my axle area,,,

All after market exhaust additions come with the standard (smack it and test if for vibs) work out of bugs,,,etc,,,

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

did you just install the hi flow cats??
    you feel diference i it louder?
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I installed there hi flow cats and y-pipe package,,
    U see there hi flow cats have larger diameters,,so they have a larger diameter y pipe that makes them go hanb in hand,,

SO no I did not just install cats to a stock ypipe...over all the new larger ypipe and cats are louder and I can feel a power increase,and decrease too,

and as with larger ypipes,,,that tunnel brace (stock stamped crud) is in the way,,So its time to smash it flatter and bend it into shape to allow room to fit,,But its real time to buy a Spohn Tunnel brace member,,,there goes 80 bucks,,,

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 conv'

Can you post pics of the y pipe and the cats I'm going with this setup soon and would like to see how much clearance they leave under the car. Also what kind of power loss did you experience after the installation? Thanks.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

So the scoop....
    I have a clearance issue on the left side pipe on this system,,its real close to the tranny housing and it does hit when I first take off from a stand still.
    Also-with my stock tunnel brace in its a close fit. Time for an aftermarket Spohn Tunner Brace piece which will take care of this issue. The other fitment issue I am not so sure of yet how to remedy. Could be that the Y-Pipe is pulling in the cats to much and this is the cause of it or its just poor fitment due to manufacturing,,not sure yet.

To the one that wants data on power loss after install,,,I cant tell you of a power loss,,,I only know it sounds way better and I feel the midrange al the way on up to be better then it was.....

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 conv'

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Hey All,,,Please disregard my Fitment issues I had with my system.,..
    I forgot to adjust it correctly,,,,

Basically the golden rule I ignored,,,that being loosen up all exhaust nuts and bolt and stuff,,then start alignment & tightening from the cats on back,,,

this system fits fine,,,

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
    Hey All,,,Please disregard my Fitment issues I had with my system.,..
    I forgot to adjust it correctly,,,,

Basically the golden rule I ignored,,,that being loosen up all exhaust nuts and bolt and stuff,,then start alignment & tightening from the cats on back,,,

this system fits fine,,,
    those cats will only pass if they come with a carb#. if not you better be real cool with your smog guy, otherwise it's not going to pass the visual.

when I had LT's and ORY on my LT1 I cut and clamped in some cats (expensive as hell!!!) when it was smog time, and fortunately I have a good smog guy who disregarded that the cats were in the wrong place and didn't have carb #'s

black
    1999 camaro SS

this straight from randoms website:

Direct Fit Catalytic converters - Note that it is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter and that aftermarket catalytic converters are not legal for use on OBD2 vehicles in California (some 1994 and 1995 and all 1996 and later vehicles).

you should of bought an ORY and then just swapped your stock Y back in at smog time. if your in Cali, hi flo cats are a huge waste of money because nothing is legal w/o a carb # and NO HI FLOW CATS HAVE CARB #'S

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Your wso wrong,,,so wrong

So my random tech cats are in and they passed smog,,
    Your so wrong,,hiflow cats in CA are not a waste of money,,not all smog stations look for carb data on the cats,,not unless your so modded that they know it cant be smog legal,,

With me they pluged in the sniffer it passed and thats it,,my hi flow random technology cats worked great,.,in fact the data on my print out shows them doing a better job then the print out I had of my stock cats at 25k...

So hiflo cats are not a waste of money just because your in california,,,

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    this straight from randoms website:

Direct Fit Catalytic converters - Note that it is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter and that aftermarket catalytic converters are not legal for use on OBD2 vehicles in California (some 1994 and 1995 and all 1996 and later vehicles).

you should of bought an ORY and then just swapped your stock Y back in at smog time. if your in Cali, hi flo cats are a huge waste of money because nothing is legal w/o a carb # and NO HI FLOW CATS HAVE CARB #'S

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Ha, I love it! Glad you passed!

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I passed with the same set-up in Oct. 2009

IMO, what's a huge waste or not, is strictly a personal opinion.
    Last edited by Blue28; 12-13-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Isn't this thing like $500+. I would have gone with the off road Y idea and just swapped back at smog time. Also that Spohn tunnel brace is a waste. Doesn't really "brace" anything. Why not go with their drive shaft loop?

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

WOW.,,,

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Isn't this thing like $500+. I would have gone with the off road Y idea and just swapped back at smog time. Also that Spohn tunnel brace is a waste. Doesn't really "brace" anything. Why not go with their drive shaft loop?

SO check this out,,
    My original stock cats were fouled and did not work well enough to pass CA Smog levels. So to spend major bucks for 2 replacement cats that are CA smog legal with CARB numbers as compared to installing a Random Tech HiFlow cat and ypipe,,,,you would see that I went with a better system that was cheaper. These cats dont have a Carb number,,true,,,but what are the chances that in the near future that they will look for a carb numbers on these cats is minimal. Should they wish t see numbers on them,,,I can scribe into these unmarked cats the proper data--then they and all nay sayers can eat my SMOG legal after market cats. But IMHO-if the car is not to F-ing loud and it passes the sniffer test-then the chance they do a visual and look for carb data on the cats is slim,,,,

So the random technology hiflow cats and larger y-pipe combination have been on awhile and still work great and will stay on-since the car is loving them. So to those that keep saying should have gone with an ORY pipe,,,I had to get replacement cats to begin with since mine were dusted. So if you want cats that are CA smog legal plan on spending major bucks (as compared to the 600 I spent) that now passes CA smog and sounds better and flows much better.
    Last edited by TerribleTed; 12-30-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Thread Information