Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installed LS6 intake and Shaner TB Sunday

This is a discussion on Installed LS6 intake and Shaner TB Sunday within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Finished the install in about 3 hours. I asked on a previous thread about what problems I am going to ...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Installed LS6 intake and Shaner TB Sunday

Finished the install in about 3 hours. I asked on a previous thread about what problems I am going to run into, and NOBODY told me that the coolant lines that ran under the intake were going to be a problem. The stock 99 LS1 intake is bowed on two sides in the middle and is obviously smaller (volume wise) than the LS6. This bow helps accomodate a thick ass coolant line that is way bigger than it needs to be really. I ended up clipping off some of the plastic ribs under the LS6 intake so it would provide enough clearance to tighten it down. I also installed a P&P Throttle Body from Shaner, awesome work! Nice and shiny, plus, excellent port work! Highly recommend! I want him the port and polish the heads on my car too. Results: The car makes seat of the pants power from 3500 all the way to redline now, without running out of breath. I can tell I picked up HP, which is usually only reserved for the most expensive mods. Now, I just need to install the comp cam, 918 springs, and the titanium valve spring retainers, and get it chassis tuned. 6800 rpm, here I come! Oh yeah, wassup with the sharp edges under the cowl, they cut my hands and arms to shreds!
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Oh yeah, for some reason it idles perfectly now! Go figure!

You didn't use a new front coolant pipe and plugs for the rear? When I helped my friend do his we used that ls1howto.com article, thought somebody posted posted it for you. They didn't come with his intake so he got them from the stealership. I used side cutters and cut the bottom of those sharp plastic cowl fasteners off on his - I know, too late now. Glad you're up and running and everything's fine.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Yeah, I didn't print out the article, and I just wanted to get it over with and I didn't have internet access, or the pipes for that matter when I was at home. I clipped some of those ribs level on the intake (about 5 min), and I was able to get it on there without damaging the intake. It was tight though, but it worked! Next time I have the intake off, I am gonna put the new pipe setup on it. I am going to have a side grinder handy next time I am under that cowl though, for sure!

solidsnakecsm101
    hi i was wondering if you could help me out. I recently purchased a set of long tube headers for my 2000 camaro LS1. The thing is they are not going to work on my car because they are actually for the 01 and 02 Camaros with only one EGR hook up on either side of the headers. I got a good deal on the headers and i really wanna try and make them work. So was thinking about upgrading the intake manifold to the LS6 one because thats the only change that GM did to the vehicle in 01 and 02. Could you tell me or give me a link to see exactly whats involved in this conversion. Did you guys have to relocate the EGR located ontop of the manifold? I would greatlly appreciate any advice.
    thanks.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

SLP LS6 manifolds come with an EGR hookup, I think. Mine didn't. My SLP headers have the EGR provisions, but they were blocked off by the previous owner. The EGR is not even hooked up now, and I don't see any engine codes. I think they were tuned out of the car on the dyno. If I were you, I would just get rid of that useless crap and have the codes tuned out of it. Don't take my advice as gospel though, there are a lot more LS1 proficient people on this board!

Quote Originally Posted by solidsnakecsm101
    hi i was wondering if you could help me out. I recently purchased a set of long tube headers for my 2000 camaro LS1. The thing is they are not going to work on my car because they are actually for the 01 and 02 Camaros with only one EGR hook up on either side of the headers. I got a good deal on the headers and i really wanna try and make them work. So was thinking about upgrading the intake manifold to the LS6 one because thats the only change that GM did to the vehicle in 01 and 02. Could you tell me or give me a link to see exactly whats involved in this conversion. Did you guys have to relocate the EGR located ontop of the manifold? I would greatlly appreciate any advice.
    thanks.
    Are you talking about the AIR tubes on top of each side of the headers? 01/02 don't have EGR - might just be blocked off depending on the brand of headers (connection is on the underside on the passenger side). You can remove the EGR and block off where the tube goes into the intake. If you're in CA don't know if removing this stuff, or even LT's are legal for emissions? Here's a couple links to look at:
    www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
    Last edited by 2001NBMZ28; 01-31-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I would change to the LS6 intake anyway, whether I needed it for EGR or not.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

My ls6 manifold will finally be here on the 8th....ordered the slp version with egr(cali blows). Hopefully I get the S2 Tb around the same time...ordered the satin one the other day..

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Nice, definitely tell a difference, keeps on pullin' hard with the LS6.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

just got my slp ls6 intake, putting it on on monday, hopefully!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Righteous, should only take about 2 or 3 hours. Make sure you got those coolant plugs!

05 Wrangler

WooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooo UPS just delivered my SLP ls6 manifold...I know what i'm doin this weekend It came with everything I need also...the pipe,plugs, map sensor and all gaskets

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 02-07-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Cool, be patient, take your time and have fun.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Congrats man! Great way to spend your weekend! Just take your time w/ it man!

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

where do u get the coolant plugs?

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Formula
    where do u get the coolant plugs?
    It came with the manifold...but the dealer probably has them..I know they have the pipe.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Shaner is the man for TB's.....
    and I bet he smoked three packs of Marlboro's doing your TB.....
    you should check out his billet TB's....fricking work of art....

21k posts ;)
    Former holder of over

Thumbs up

I have an LS6 intake and a Jantzer ported/polished TB, great combo as well.
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4, black - 11.86@113.62
    2006 Corvette, 6 speed automatic, Velocity Yellow - 12.21@115.45 (best MPH - 115.91)
    World's quickest bone stock Corvette LS2 and quickest bone stock automatic Corvette ever?
    Now after some bolt ons and Cartek tuning - 10.9@125.4mph

05 Wrangler

Oh man...just installed the ls6 intake....man that as more of a pita then I thought it was gonna be. Every complication you could have...I had it, except for breaking the oil sensor...got lucky with that one. Still have about an hour worth of work in the morning...gotta torque the 10 bolts holding the intake down, and hack off part of the egr tube to fit the bass fitting that slp has on the intake. It took about 5 hours...half of that was tryin to get the ass of the intake out from under the cowl. So simple yet not...even with my medium/small hands there were times when I could only get 2 fingers back there....I have no idea how some of you guys with ogre hands get back there. All in all it wasn't bad....just wasn't as easy as I thought it was gonna be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information