Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Induction Upgrades and then a tune?

This is a discussion on Induction Upgrades and then a tune? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My car Dyno'd 330rwhp/342rwtq on a Mustang DYNO after my LT's, exhaust, lid, and tune. That was also through a ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My car Dyno'd 330rwhp/342rwtq on a Mustang DYNO after my LT's, exhaust, lid, and tune. That was also through a 9" rear end, which is the least efficient. I'm a M6.

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

I would think that your intake mods will only go so far before they hit the restrictive exhaust and limiting power. Keep hunting thru the on-line auctions for used parts. Other guys are constantly changing and upgrading. I get all my mods second hand. Chrome or aluminum is better than no coating. Ceramic protects the steel AND keeps heat flowing thru the exhaust. Stainless is better but is high cost. Stainless with ceramic is best (very costly).

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

What about short or mid-length headers? I know they don't yield as much gain, but certain things about long tubes put me off. I would like to be able to pass emissions and would also like to avoid ground clearance issues, especially since I'm considering lowering my springs about an inch or so.

My last induction mod is coming up soon and then it will be time to move on to exhaust.

Is the only reason to get LTs because they make more power? Are the benefits of short vs. medium vs. long just a tradeoff between performance and price, or is there more to it than that?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

shorties and mids are really only good to give you a little better then stock but also allow you to pass emissions in some states.

States like Cali and NY are hard asses when it comes to LTs.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    shorties and mids are really only good to give you a little better then stock but also allow you to pass emissions in some states.

States like Cali and NY are hard asses when it comes to LTs.

Yeah... that's something that I would prefer not to have to worry about... I want my car to retain practicality... I haven't written off LTs yet, but I do like to weigh my options.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

not to derail thread, but just don't forget about your suspension and drivetrain, as you're adding power your putting more stress on them and some pieces should be upgraded no matter what. Also be sure to check out the "free mods".

GL with your build

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    not to derail thread, but just don't forget about your suspension and drivetrain, as you're adding power your putting more stress on them and some pieces should be upgraded no matter what. Also be sure to check out the "free mods".

GL with your build
    Oh, for sure. I have Bilstiens up front, Koni's out back, SFCs, and LCAs so far. In the unforeseeable future I plan to get a STB, K-member, a 12-bolt, a carbon fiber driveshaft, a tunnel brace/DSL and a panhard bar.... STB or tunnel brace will probably be the first of those...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Oh, for sure. I have Bilstiens up front, Koni's out back, SFCs, and LCAs so far. In the unforeseeable future I plan to get a STB, K-member, a 12-bolt, a carbon fiber driveshaft, a tunnel brace/DSL and a panhard bar.... STB or tunnel brace will probably be the first of those...
    I would get the torque arm before the STB. It might be different for verts (unlikely though), but most people (like 90%+) say that the STB does nothing for improvement, it's more for cosmetics.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Torque arm... same as panhard bar? I understand that the STB is kinda dubious, however, I'm thinking that maybe since I have a vert, it will actually reduce flex that coupes don't experience... After all, it sits right over the motor, which is where I would imagine flex is greatest...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You mentioned tunnel brace. That to me meant torque arm since the torque arm comes in a tunnel brace fashion or a full-length version.

The tunnel in the car is in the middle going from front to back.

A pan hard bar goes from left to right.

A pan hard bar controls the cars motion from side to side.

A torque arm is a metal arm attached between the rear end axle assembly and the vehicle's frame. It's purpose is to prevent the driving wheels from trying to rotate the axle assembly relative to the vehicle's frame under acceleration, or in the opposite direction under braking. Thus the torque is "neutralized" so far as trying to rotate the drive axles, and the torque is all applied to the job of accelerating the vehicle in a linear direction, or translating braking force to a force that slows the vehicle.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by planemech2 View Post
    "Yeah, that's why I ordered the FTP ram-air with block off. It can be put on when it's wet outside to prevent the induction of water."

I did the free ram air mod right after I bought my SS in Wa. Never have had a water injestion problem.
    Im a Insurance adjsuter and have seen many a Hydrolocked cars due to cold are intakes, but I have one and Im not worried about this happening with the slp style cold air intake. Hydrolocking only seems to happen to the idiots who make thier own kits and run them straight down to the ground so hit a puddle and suck up water. kinda like this icon, if the kit goes underwater then yes it will suck up water and suck for you!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You mentioned tunnel brace. That to me meant torque arm since the torque arm comes in a tunnel brace fashion or a full-length version.

The tunnel in the car is in the middle going from front to back.

A pan hard bar goes from left to right.

A pan hard bar controls the cars motion from side to side.

A torque arm is a metal arm attached between the rear end axle assembly and the vehicle's frame. It's purpose is to prevent the driving wheels from trying to rotate the axle assembly relative to the vehicle's frame under acceleration, or in the opposite direction under braking. Thus the torque is "neutralized" so far as trying to rotate the drive axles, and the torque is all applied to the job of accelerating the vehicle in a linear direction, or translating braking force to a force that slows the vehicle.
    Wait... does that mean it helps prevent fishtailing, or that it reduces wheel spin?

I was under the impression that a tunnel brace bolted up across the driveshaft, and has a safety loop.

Quote Originally Posted by st_cspeer View Post
    Im a Insurance adjsuter and have seen many a Hydrolocked cars due to cold are intakes, but I have one and Im not worried about this happening with the slp style cold air intake. Hydrolocking only seems to happen to the idiots who make thier own kits and run them straight down to the ground so hit a puddle and suck up water. kinda like this icon, if the kit goes underwater then yes it will suck up water and suck for you!
    I was thinking the same. It seems like the SLP cold air intake doesn't even change the path of the air relative to a stock config.
    Last edited by Naaman; 05-23-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A torque arm will help prevent the rear end (axle assembly) from trying to rotate under hard acceleration, thus keeping the tires planted more firmly against the ground. This in term helps with traction and keep HP where it belongs...at the ground.

Hope that helps clarify.

The torque arm (in stock form) mounts to the rear end assembly and the tailshaft of the transmission. Aftermarket torque arms usually remove the front mounting off the tailshaft and onto the actual frame of the car via cross-member. This reduces the chances of you breaking your tailshaft housing of the transmission (which many have).

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Okay, so it mitigates parasitic loss, then? Rather than the rotational forces of the crank twisting the whole car and rattling things around, it directs the force straight (or... perpendicular, as the case may be) to the axle. Right?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Correct. It controls your pinion angle, which is the angle of the rear differential pinion with respect to your drive shaft.

It usually starts off or is set to -2 degrees (pinion is nose down in relation to the drive shaft) and as the car is accelerated, ideally it would be at exactly 0 degrees, or a straight line. This straight driveline transmits the most power to the wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information