Thread: Improvements?

Navy Blue

Improvements?

Greetings from sunny Sydney...

98 Firebird Formula, auto - it's got an MTI intake (it's pretty much the same as the SLP) and after market filter, it's had a tune and has high flow cats, after market muffler.

On a freeway run, good roads, I get as good as 303 Miles to a tank, city driving, if I drive like granny, 230 miles to a tank. That's good, right? Can it be better?

Not that MPG is my priority - it's about getting it as efficient as possible, I like to know that it's running the best it can. So please, no responses about MPG is not what V8's are about, for me, I love being able to drive it, so the more I save on fuel, the more I get to drive it.

There where two things suggested on the superchev web site - the ERG shortening and the throttle body by pass, anyone have any comments on these?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on maximising it's efficiency?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

Ditching the EGR and bypassing the T/B coolant loop are both simple and time tested changes that you can do. If you delete the EGR, you will need to update your tune, otherwise the SES light will be on all the time. Lots of other easy things to do -- for example, the bump stop mod. Chances are your throttle blade is not 100% open from the factory with the pedal to the floor. You can grind on the throttle blade stop to achieve complete opening - just don't overdo it!

Navy Blue

Sound like shortening the ERG valve pipe might be a better option, I don't want to have to get the tuner to change anything...
    I hope shortening it won't stuff the reading up!

Is the throttle body by pass really going to make a difference...? I've heard that it makes no difference anyway?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Certainly nothing that you will feel -- but it is designed for cars that operate in colder climates than what you have. No need to warm the throttle body with hot engine coolant imo.

Thread Information