white
    2000 firebird formula

im new and need some ideas

ok guys look im new to the site and im new to the site i have a few ?s about my car. ive only had it for about a month and ive noticed a few things and one of them is the car has its times it feels like the car bogs down and then picks up all the sudden so i put new plugs and wires on it itcleared up for a few days and then the check engine light came on its throwin some emission codes so i was wondering if its something i should worry about or wat should i do? also ive noticed every once in a while i hear a whinning noise it only makes it when i give the car gas going up hills could it be the rearend or what do yawthink the car has 20s on it i dont personally like them but i bought the car that way but could the wheels be causing this? i think that im just parinoid due to i bought the car from a dealer and ive never owned a trans am so ill really apreciate your help

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

The codes I'd get diagnosed as soon as you can, the whining may be the power steering pump but since it only makes the noise uphill I'm not sure.

Don't keep the noises as a habit. get it fixed to save future problems

white
    2000 firebird formula

thanks

thanks man ive hAd the codes checked they are for emisson pump and something else to do with emissions so i was wondering if on these cars if it affects how they run also the whining noise is comming from the back of the car and one of my buddys has a ws6 and he said he thinks the wheels are to big and their messing up the rearend

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In addition to the plugs and wires -- here's a few other things to do:

1. Clean the MAF. Get some CRC spray MAF cleaner at your local parts store and follow the instructions.

2. Replace your air filter. Highly recommend the Amsoil EA filter for this.

3. If you car has high miles, replace the front O2 sensors. Bosch 13111's are a nice choice and have a lengthy harness that accomodates long tube headers quite well.

4. Run a fuel system cleaner. Chevron Techron is readily available and works well. After running it through the system, replace your fuel filter.

You may have emissions issues with certain components. The stock cats can be troublesome and will result in performance issues as they deteriorate. Let us know what you find and the results.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by 1badassformula View Post
    thanks man ive hAd the codes checked they are for emisson pump and something else to do with emissions so i was wondering if on these cars if it affects how they run also the whining noise is comming from the back of the car and one of my buddys has a ws6 and he said he thinks the wheels are to big and their messing up the rearend
    Does the car have headers? if not I read somewhere that the catalytic converters were going out on our cars so it might be that. I have no Idea why the whine would be coming out from the rear end. Just throwing an Idea out there maybe the fluid might be low....

white
    2000 firebird formula

thanks again

ok thanks ill check that out like i said im kinda paranoid iv never bought eneything from a dealer also i got the car dirt cheap so i figured its too good to be true. while im thinking about it how can i turn traction controll off cause the car doesent have a switch like my buddys ws6 and no the car has stock mani on it also my buddy told me that our year model cars have heating issues should i buy a 160 thermo and the fan controll switch from summit

white
    2000 firebird formula

thanks ive run fuel system cleaner threw the car also added new air filter on it to did it the first day i got the car ill clean the mass airflow and go get a o2 sensor i might also go have the cats removed from the car this weekend
    Last edited by 1badassformula; 05-04-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Change your fuel filter as well.

*Edit, I see Jeff mentioned it already.

red
    99 camaro

look under the hood and follow the throttle cable from the tb back to its origin, if it goes to a black round thing with what looks like a small motor and some other cables on it then you have tc. I havent heard of cars that have it and dont have a switch to turn it off??? The motor for tc is on pass fenderwell near the engine.

Thread Information