Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Im an exhaust rookie :-)

As the title says, I dont have much experience with exhaust, mainly headers, y pipes and cats. I have full intentions of buying a set of headers for my 98 TA this summer, but anytime I buy new parts I always get as much info as I can, so I have some q's:

1. What is the difference (save for price) between shorties and long tubes?
    2. If the only aftermarket exhaust part I have is a magnaflow muffler, can I
    install headers and still keep the factory y pipe and factory cats?
    3. I've been reading up some posts here and I keep hearing about issues with
    the O2 sensors, Im hoping someone can shed some light on exactly what
    the deal is with them?
    4. Referring to q # 2, is it a good idea to install headers using factory y pipe
    and cats? Will I rob myself of sound or performance by keeping them, or
    do, say, an offroad y pipe and/or high flow cats simply give even bigger
    gains?

Two things I also need to consider are purchasing parts that are 50 state legal so I can always pass emissions tests. I dont have any 'hook ups' so to speak where I could pass inspection. I also dont have a gigantic wallet, so whats a good..not necessarily 'budget' header, but ones that are good bang for the buck? I read a lot of posts about Pacesetters, but they usually are accompanied by "$500-$600", which really is out of my range unfortunately. Are there decent headers for LS1's by Hooker or Headman? Thanks!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You're in cali so the only smog legal headers are shorties...which you can keep the stock cats and y-pipe for. You can get coated pacesetter shorties from summit and thunderracing for $429(don't buy them from pacesetter directly, they want 650 for them). I'm in cali also and am going with coated shorties and random tech y-pipe with high-flow cats from thunderracing.com

Long tubes have the best power gain but you can't use your stock y-pipe or cats,longs move the cats way back which isn't smog legal...and depending on the brand there can be clearance issues. If smog isn't a issue then definatly get longs

EDIT: The issues with the o2's are with long tubes...you need o2 extensions and simms if you don't have cats...or just tune the codes out. Shorties don't have o2 issues that I know of...but they also don't have anywhere near the gains either.

A off road y-pipe won't have cats..that's why it's off road....that's what i've always thought anyway. I would get high-flow cats but they are expensive...even the stock replacements are expensive.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 01-29-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Okay I see. So I'll go with shorties, any idea what kinda gains they make, if I get pacesetter? Also, even if the gains arent as big, is the sound still as good as long tubes? If not, how much better over factory manifolds is the sound?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

In 00 gm redesigned the exhaust manifolds to flow better....but you have a 98 so if you get shorties you'll have a better gain then a 00-02 would. As far as sound...it might be a little louder with shorties but not much...longs are definatly louder though. If you're looking for loud or a better tone...change your catback system.

Thread Information