Results 1 to 8 of 8

I'm buying a Borla cat back!! But...

This is a discussion on I'm buying a Borla cat back!! But... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've decided that Borla catbacks are basically sex on wheels. I'd like to get an ORY pipe to go with ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    28

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    I'm buying a Borla cat back!! But...

    I've decided that Borla catbacks are basically sex on wheels.

    I'd like to get an ORY pipe to go with it. Is there much of a difference between them all? The install looks pretty straight forward, even if done on jack stands like I'll have to. Just unbolt the old, bolt in the new, right?

    I have a '99 Trans Am, A4.

  2. #2
    Member silverz28camaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington MO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    796

    sebring silver
    2000 z28

    the old exhaust can be a pain , dont get fustrated take you time, drink a 40 lay it out before you install it, to make sure you have all the parts

  3. #3
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    unbolt the clamps and unbolt as much as possible, but just save yourself the head ache and cut the section of the pipe that goes over the axle. its a real son of a bitch. it can be pulled out, but the car needs to be pretty damn high in the air to be able to manuever it out. good luck

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    28

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    unbolt the clamps and unbolt as much as possible, but just save yourself the head ache and cut the section of the pipe that goes over the axle. its a real son of a bitch. it can be pulled out, but the car needs to be pretty damn high in the air to be able to manuever it out. good luck

    But other than that, installing the nre y-pipe and exhaust should be relatively easy?

  5. #5
    Senior Member rajiv1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,489

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    iv done them before. One time with my friend in the driveway. Didnt have a lift but we had jackstands. It was a pain in the ass to get the passanger side manifolds off but eventually after a few tucks and curses it came off. Take your time and do not rush. If u can get a lift for a few hrs, i suggest u do itll be so much easier. other than that, its a peice of cake. Iv helped out with H/C swaps to, really not that bad as it looks

  6. #6
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    iv done them before. One time with my friend in the driveway. Didnt have a lift but we had jackstands. It was a pain in the ass to get the passanger side manifolds off but eventually after a few tucks and curses it came off. Take your time and do not rush. If u can get a lift for a few hrs, i suggest u do itll be so much easier. other than that, its a peice of cake. Iv helped out with H/C swaps to, really not that bad as it looks
    I don't think he is doing headers, just the catback.

    To the original post, I wouldn't bother with a new y-pipe, unless you already have headers and just want to go with an ORY. If you have factory manifolds and y-pipe, just do the borla catback and don't spend the money on the y-pipe. Its not worth it and won't do much for you. Plus, if you get mids or longtubes later, you'll just have to get rid of that y-pipe anyways. But to remove the old exhaust, a sawzall cuts like butter.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    28

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I don't think he is doing headers, just the catback.

    To the original post, I wouldn't bother with a new y-pipe, unless you already have headers and just want to go with an ORY. If you have factory manifolds and y-pipe, just do the borla catback and don't spend the money on the y-pipe. Its not worth it and won't do much for you. Plus, if you get mids or longtubes later, you'll just have to get rid of that y-pipe anyways. But to remove the old exhaust, a sawzall cuts like butter.
    Sounds like a plan, you just saved me a few hundred bucks on a Y-pipe.

  8. #8
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    You're gonna need to get the pipes on the catback spot welded together or the tips will never stay centered/level.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wtb borla adjustable cat back
    By fast droptop in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
  2. WTB Borla Back Cat Exaust
    By tznutts in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 06:26 AM
  3. Borla cat-back for sale
    By KIXASS in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 12:16 AM
  4. Looking for borla or magnaflow cat back 01
    By qtrmile in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 03:43 PM
  5. Does anyone have this borla cat-back?
    By justinlandis in forum External Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 06:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •