Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

I need some Advice

Hello to all in the Forums,

I have a Question regarding Headers,

I want to buy a pair of 1 7/8" stainless Headers and I'm not familiar with Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems.

I am concerned about adding heat in the engine bay thus I wish to do alot of research before I put a pair on.

Question#1 Do you recommend me having them ceramic coated before I install them,

Question#2 Do you notice more heat in the engine since you have installed headers ?

Also I wish to install a heat sheild around my starter and any other recommendations you all have,

The reason I am being so cautious is that my last car had a pair of Steel Headers and they added alot of heat in the engine bay and were a pain in the neck as far as heating the O2 wires , re-tightening the bolts' et cetera

Thanks to all for your replies ! Bon

Black
    1998 Trans Am

ceramic coating is to keep down on corrision and help keep heat in. Stainless headers you should have no worries with any that

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No need for ceramic coating on ss headers. Just keep the plug wires and clutch line (if M6) off of them.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Stainless headers do a much better job at holding heat in over mild steel.
    Even though i had my kooks coated.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

I need some Advice

Thanks for the input

I am thinking about having my longtubes JetHot coated because I want them to remain sterling silver where as stainless steel tends to turn a bronzee like brown after the finish burns off.
    Also I want to keep engine bay heat to a Min

Bon

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Jethot would probably do it for you. I am a firm believer in SS headers though. You can't go wrong with Hookers or QTP headers. They are built with the highest quality.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm running Pacesetter Ceramic LTs on my 98'T/A. I have to say IMHO, since the install my engine temp seems to be running 10 degrees cooler then when I had stock exhaust. I also did a radiator flush @ same time I did the install.

The LT's and The 3" ORY increasing the exhaust flow might be why it's having better temp.

I've been told that the 98's are they only year that have truly functional gauges not something the computer reads and sends to the cluster and gives you an approximate reading. I'm not 100% convince that's true, maybe some of the other guys here can clarify for me on this.

Whatever you get do not get painted headers. Paint burns off and then the rust comes. Stainless is a must if your building a show car.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

I need some Advice

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm running Pacesetter Ceramic LTs on my 98'T/A. I have to say IMHO, since the install my engine temp seems to be running 10 degrees cooler then when I had stock exhaust. I also did a radiator flush @ same time I did the install.

The LT's and The 3" ORY increasing the exhaust flow might be why it's having better temp.

I've been told that the 98's are they only year that have truly functional gauges not something the computer reads and sends to the cluster and gives you an approximate reading. I'm not 100% convince that's true, maybe some of the other guys here can clarify for me on this.

Whatever you get do not get painted headers. Paint burns off and then the rust comes. Stainless is a must if your building a show car.

Good point and something I'd like to avoid is my headers becomming rusted.

I am going to have them JetHot coated sterling silver so they remain shiney it should dress up the engine bay alot

The reason I am going american racing or Kooks is primary because of the Fit

my car is a tough fit according to all the articles I've been reading on the net and I want to eleviate any problems down the road

Bon

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

go stainless and you do not need to coat them to keep the mirror finish... they make a polish to remove the blueing from heating up stainless. The ceramic coating will never look as stuning and show car as the stainless... just my .02

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

FTW get the jet hot coating.. i got them on my iroc-z lol and they were the best things on the car even before i crashed it haha looked great.
    2001 Camaro SS M6 SLP LMII, Lid
    1987 iroc-z RIP 5.7 TPI Full exhaust, lingenfelter intake runners (gone but not forgotten)
    1991 bmw 325i DD

Thread Information