I know I know, cutouts..again

This is a discussion on I know I know, cutouts..again within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just one question though. How do they hold up to the elements? I would think that since they're MADE to ...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I know I know, cutouts..again

Just one question though. How do they hold up to the elements? I would think that since they're MADE to go UNDER a car where the elements exist, I would think they would build them to hold up. Anyone got any input on that? I would consider an E-cutout if it'll last, main reason being I am sick of my quiet exhaust, and i wanna be L.A.F. and make people mad when i need to. Also, how quick are they to open/close, and would there be any way to control how far they open (like say have it half-open to decrease the volume but still maintain the sound?)
    Last edited by Zapper2003; 06-22-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: It's really not just one question! :-P

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Just one question though. How do they hold up to the elements? I would think that since they're MADE to go UNDER a car where the elements exist, I would think they would build them to hold up. Anyone got any input on that? I would consider an E-cutout if it'll last, main reason being I am sick of my quiet exhaust, and i wanna be L.A.F. and make people mad when i need to. Also, how quick are they to open/close, and would there be any way to control how far they open (like say have it half-open to decrease the volume but still maintain the sound?)
    This is Basics 101 Bud, but that's alright. We've all been there. I've ran a cutout on every last F-body i've owned except 1, and despite what some people say, they "DO" work. But, there are a few variables though. First off, there's no reason for doing a cutout if you don't have a cold air intake to pull air in. If you don't already, it's going to hurt your performance - trust me. Second, are you running a cat-back system? Believe it or not, during part throttle and even WOT some air is still pushing past the cutout and through the muffler, and the improved airflow mixed with back pressure helps to balance everything out. A stock muffler will do a sorry job of it. As far as the elements, don't worry about it. Guys have been running systems under the car (ie: turn-down/"dumps" ) for years - it won't hurt anything. Other than that, enjoy the best $50 you've ever spent.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Well, as far as CAI goes, all i have is the K&N filter. I bought a dynomax 'catback' (just mufler, tailpipes and tips) and stock I-pipe, stock manfolds, cats and y. I've been thinking electric cutout, not just a screw-on deal.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Well, as far as CAI goes, all i have is the K&N filter. I bought a dynomax 'catback' (just mufler, tailpipes and tips) and stock I-pipe, stock manfolds, cats and y. I've been thinking electric cutout, not just a screw-on deal.
    You should be fine.

Thread Information