Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I finally bought Long Tubes

Hell yeah!! It feels great to drop 600.00. I finally made myself order my headers. I got Pacesetter long tubes and the TSP ory-pipe. Both are ceramic coated. I also purchased the two O2 extentions. I think I got a pretty good deal. What everyone think?

NBM
    1999 Pontiac Formula

Congrats on the new purchase!!! Headers really bring the car to life both performance wise and sound wise. What muffler are you going to run with the headers?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I currently have the adjustable Borla but I hear that they can sound a little raspy with LT's and ory-pipe. I will have to see how I like the sound of the Borla before I make any muffler decisions. I also run with the open plate so I can put the other plates in if needed to try to calm the rasp down. Do you think 600.00 was a decent deal for the headers, y-pipe, and O2 extentions?
    99 pewter Z28 M6, SS hood, 10 spokes, Brembo rotors, lid, K&N, Ripper, CAGS, Pacesetter LT's, Borla, TSP ORY-pipe, O2 simulators, STB, SFC's, free mods. Cant forget about my hot fiance in the passenger seat!

NBM
    1999 Pontiac Formula

I think I paid about that for my jet hot long tubes and ORY. You might want to think about replacing plugs and get some OTVC wires too while you are in there. You will also prob need some o2 sims for the two back o2s that you won't be using (unless you are tuning those out)

wish i didn't have to worry about emission, congrats ...

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I already have O2 sims in the rear for my Mac ORY-pipe and I am planning on changing the spark plugs. I have a set of NGK TR55's but I am not too sure of the gap setting I need.

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by sszapper
    ....You will also prob need some o2 sims for the two back o2s that you won't be using (unless you are tuning those out)...
    Ditto on the sims...

As far as your other questions, I'm going to cheat and copy a post I made earlier... I'm lazy . I have Pace Setter LT's, ORY, and Borla with an electric cutout in place of the adjustable plate.

"I like my setup. The installation took 6-8 hours in my garage with a buddy's help. You lose a little low end torque (1K - 2.5K rpm range), but with the LS1 it's not like you're going to miss it. You really feel the power come on about 3.5k or so... there's a huge seat of the pants difference there!

As for sound, I have a QTP electric cutout installed in place of the removable plate... so with a switch mounted in the ashtray I can go from closed plate to open plate, and anywhere in between. Closed, it sounds damn near stock until you really get on it. With it open, it sounds like a NASCAR. It's raspy as hell and doesn't sound good unless you're racing, and get really high in the RPM's. Then it sounds mean as hell!"

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

That sounds great!! Can't wait for them to get here. Any tips on the install?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I will be doing the install at a shop with a lift and all the tool I could ever ask for.

BLACK
    2002 SS

where did you buy the pacesetter headers from? I'm currently looking for some good set of headers that won't hurt my pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by sszapper
    I think I paid about that for my jet hot long tubes and ORY. You might want to think about replacing plugs and get some OTVC wires too while you are in there. You will also prob need some o2 sims for the two back o2s that you won't be using (unless you are tuning those out)
    I take it that you like the jet hot. I am looking at them or the dynamaxx .
    Stainless vs coated ??? Did you get the jethot cats also.

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 99M6Z28
    That sounds great!! Can't wait for them to get here. Any tips on the install?
    I can think of a couple:

1. Spray some lubricant on the header bolts a few minutes before trying to loosen them. If you bread a bolt in the head, you'll have to figure out a way to get it out. This happened to my friend when we were doing his install. Also, when you put the new bolts in place, use some anti-seize on the bolts.

2. Don't worry when you break the bolts connecting the stock manifolds to the Y pipe. It's just one of those things.

3. Remove the spark plugs before pulling the headers. That way you don't snag one and break it.

Let us know how it goes!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

What did you do after you broke a bolt off in the head? This is my biggest fear!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I purchased the headers and y pipe from Texas Speed and Performance. They are a sponsor I think.

NBM
    1999 Pontiac Formula

skar - I had jet hots on my lt1 and they did just fine so I decided to use them on my ls1. As for the y-pipe i found a new used tsp y-pipe w/o cats and it worked just fine

99m6z28 - Tips? Sure, bring beer, band aids maybe and a friend to help, take your time and have a enjoy the learning process.

sszapper
    Thanks.
    I have a loudmouth it may be to loud with out cats ? or I can get a new muffler.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

Oh there will be plenty of beer and my father will probably help me since he is the one that works at the shop where I will be doing it. My brother will probably help also.

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 99M6Z28
    What did you do after you broke a bolt off in the head? This is my biggest fear!
    We fought it for a few hours, but finally put it on a trailer and took it to a local shop. $65 later the bolt was out and we finished the install right there in the guys parking lot.

Honestly I don't know what the guy did to get it out... I'll have to ask my buddy and see if he remembers.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

Oh, Also, I have the SLP sub frame connectors. Will the headers hit these or will I be ok. I may just remove them if I have problems and get a diffrent design.

black
    2002 TA WS7

r lt headers emissions legal? and what is the difference between lt's and shorties? i have the gmmg cat back, what would work best with that so i can complete my exhaust system

Thread Information