Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I believe my power steering pump is going south

This is a discussion on I believe my power steering pump is going south within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Danger731 Remove the altenator, don't cover it. You need to get a 13mm gear/ratchet wrench, stubby perfered ...

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Remove the altenator, don't cover it.

You need to get a 13mm gear/ratchet wrench, stubby perfered or you will be there a while.

Take the pump to a reputable shop for removal or make sure what you rent fits. The new pump comes with an installer, usually, but it is a bitch.

Rebuilds last up to one year.

Remove as much fluid as you can

The rest are basic tools..
    one more ? on PS pump install. you say "The new pump comes with an installer, usually, but it is a bitch.

is this installer used to press on the pulley?

and if I get a Billit pulley will it have to be pressed on also or just bolted on?
    http://www.turnone-steering.com/pulleys.html

silver
    99 ws6

couple more ?s

couple more ?s

1.this part # from GM26086074 (brand new PS pump kit) I'm assumming since they call it a kit that it will include O rings?

2.where is the eletrical connector for variable assist steering actuater located?

3.will this brand new pump allready have control valve assembly installed ( which includes spring, control valve, O ring ect.)?

4.will this new pump kit include the variable assist steering assemble allready installed?

5.I'm also assumming the kit will have a tool to press on the old pulley if I decided on obtaining a more strudie billet pulley would I still need to press it on?

6.I attached a image of the (I believe preferred pully puller) I'm assumming I must have an impact wrench (which I don't ). also since the pully installer has said to be a PITA can this pictured puller be used to press on the new pully?

7.I'm assumming the PS pump bracket stays on?

sorry to so long and so many ?s the more research I do the more interest I lose.

I have a few more ?s will post later.

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 05-22-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

PS removal, install directions

So you got a Power Steering Leak

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

I've got a turnone pulley. Quality product ,great service,and knoledgable staff presses on with the pulley install tools,i bought one in the self help section at auto parts store . it presses on with loctite 609 green NOT PERMETEX two different animals 609 is for pressing on bearing races and pemetex green is for filling voids and adherring to al ready assembled parts. turnone also comes with a bolt for added integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    one more ? on PS pump install. you say "The new pump comes with an installer, usually, but it is a bitch.

is this installer used to press on the pulley?

and if I get a Billit pulley will it have to be pressed on also or just bolted on?
    http://www.turnone-steering.com/pulleys.html
    yeah to press it on ...

silver
    99 ws6

recieved GM Parts direct PSP it appears to be new.

the back section is questionable to me, looks like someone dropped this PSP.

the back has a small dent, (it's hard to see in this image but there diffinatly has an imperfection).
    I'm thinking the back is bolted directly to the block and this back section doe'snt seal any fuild so it will be OK to use?

I emailed these folks at GM Parts direct about ten times asking if I would recieve O ring seals for the lines w/ this PSP they refer to as a kit. if not please add this to my order, after ten emails never got an answer untill today (when I recieve this beatup PSP) they did include new resorvior clips, I did'nt ask for them.

Guess I'll try to get some line Oring seals from local dealership.

Last edited by qwik219d9; 06-17-2011 at 05:52 AM.

that sux, oh well hope it lasts for ya !

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

recieved GM Parts direct PSP it appears to be new.

the back section is questionable to me, looks like someone dropped this PSP.

the back has a small dent, (it's hard to see in this image but there diffinatly has an imperfection).
    I'm thinking the back is bolted directly to the block and this back section doe'snt seal any fuild so it will be OK to use?

I emailed these folks at GM Parts direct about ten times asking if I would recieve O ring seals for the lines w/ this PSP they refer to as a kit. if not please add this to my order, after ten emails never got an answer untill today (when I recieve this beatup PSP) they did include new resorvior clips, I did'nt ask for them.

Guess I'll try to get some line Oring seals from local dealership.

Click for full size
    If you have the old o ring you can go the autoparts and check at the oring kits they sell. I did that with mine and found a kit that had them. I think i paid like $5 for the kit. Just an option if the dealer tells you they don't sell them and want you to buy the hose. That's what they tried doing to me...
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-11-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

OP I can tell you that they do sell an O ring kit for the pump. It cost me about $6 and it comes with all of the rings for the pump. I know you probably are done dealing with them but if you want the part number I can dig it up.

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    If you have the old o ring you can go the autoparts and check at the oring kits they sell. I did that with mine and found a kit that had them. I think i padi like $5 for the kit. Just an option if the dealer tells you they don't sell them and want you to buy the hose. That's what they tried doing to me...
    this car is my only transportation so I would preferr to have all parts on hand before I take it apart. also I would prefer to have the exact GM O ring not something close.

I know the LS1 oil pump O ring had thickness issuses on none GM O rings which caused low oil preasure, don't want to take a chance on such a cheap part.
    good suggestion though. Thanks

that sux, oh well hope it lasts for ya !
    I have sent GM parts direct a email about this not first quaility part, yhey responded that they could send a call tag, ( replyed asking if a call tag was a prepaid return shipping lable? waiting for there response) they allready gashed me once for shipping a 6LB small box $43. N.carolina to GA less than 200 miles.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    OP I can tell you that they do sell an O ring kit for the pump. It cost me about $6 and it comes with all of the rings for the pump. I know you probably are done dealing with them but if you want the part number I can dig it up.
    yes the PN would be helpfull.

How many O rings are there I'm thinking just 2 one for each of the PSP hoses or maybe 4 for both ends of the hose's.

I would'nt say I'm done w/ GMParts direct I have bought in the past and recieved first quaility at a substanale saving.
    Thanks

PS I wonder why I don't always just sometimes get email notifications that someone has responded to my thread I allways have the instant email notification clicked?
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 06-22-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

part # 26053277 cost $6.03

I believed it came with just 2 for the hoses. I know when you get the high pressure hose it comes with 2.

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    part # 26053277 cost $6.03

I believed it came with just 2 for the hoses. I know when you get the high pressure hose it comes with 2.
    ?1.did you order from GM parts direct?

?2.did you reuse the old resovoir clips? I'm wondering why they sent me clips?

?3. $6, for 2 tiny Orings sounds about right for a local dealership not GMP direct.

Thanks for the PN. and for the writeup very cool.

Navy Blue Metallic

?1.did you order from GM parts direct?

?2.did you reuse the old resovoir clips? I'm wondering why they sent me clips?

?3. $6, for 2 tiny Orings sounds about right for a local dealership not GMP direct.

Thanks for the PN. and for the writeup very cool.
    1. Yes
    2. Yes, maybe a misunderstanding in both of your emails?
    3. It comes with all of the internal rings and stuff besides the 2 O rings. I think I got like 8 different things.

Also....

I'm sorry I didn't see you post this in the PS rebuild thread. I posted an answer there and I copied it her for you too.

Excellent writeup better than any shop manuel
    thanks for taking the time an sharing the knowlegde.

I feel much more comfortable doing my first PSP swap.

I searched and searched I think I may need to improve the
    way I search.

couple ?s
    ? I have a power streeing cooler looks like I'll have to remove the
    rad. hose to connect that pulley puller?

?1. I've read in other (not as detailed as you'r thread)
    that the drive belt should stay no this helps loosen the pulley bolt?

?2.with this new pump is the control valve assembly
    and the variable steering assit included?
    it's the stuff inside where the high presure hose connects.

?3. this puller you used is this the prefered puller?
    I have read that folks have been bending there pulleys w/
    a prumg type pulley puller that hooks around the back of pulley
    looks like there is no chance of bending the pulley w/ this tool?

?4 lastly the resovior clips are they flimsy I'm concerned I my bend one, maybe I should add the clips along w/ the oring gaskets.

I'm assumming the Oring gaskets are not included w/ the new PSP kit from GM parts direct?

Thanks
    1. That would be a preference thing, I had no problems removing it with the belt off.
    2. This was the OEM pump for a 98'
    3. Yes, this is a standard tool for every PS pulley puller I always used.
    4. Hell no, they are a PITA to get off. You almost need 2 ppl, one to hold the unit and another to handle the screw drivers. I imagine that there is a tool made for it, but I didn't look for one either. 2 flat tip screw drivers worked fine for me.

No they are not.

silver
    99 ws6

got Boned from GM Parts direct I was actualley able to send this damaged power steering pump back 10 days later I recieve the exact same damaged part if I ask for a refund on this obviously none first quaility part (GM Parts direct response was we apologize however we don't sell show quaility parts showed that GMP direct being a smartass answer) if I ask for a refund I'll get boned again no refund on the $43. ship charge for a small 6LB box 200 miles away. plus a 35% restock charge.

I think a 15% restock charge is a tad high however when a big co. like GMP direct deliverys junk they should do the right thing. either replace the part w/ a undamaged part or give a full refund.
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

silver
    99 ws6

update the PSP on the left was what I initially recieved then rerecieved.

I am a little concerned w/ the rust on the shaft will I have problems forceing the pulley back on?

They give me 2 choices recieve this same PSP or it's replacement which even worst one on right or a refund

not sure yet if I'll recieve the $42. for the shipping.

what should I do get refund then purchase the turn one?

How do I attach images nowadays here on LS1.com?

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 07-30-2011 at 05:08 PM.

silver
    99 ws6

Remove the altenator, don't cover it.

You need to get a 13mm gear/ratchet wrench, stubby perfered or you will be there a while.

Take the pump to a reputable shop for removal or make sure what you rent fits. The new pump comes with an installer, usually, but it is a bitch.

Rebuilds last up to one year.

Remove as much fluid as you can

The rest are basic tools..
    I looked for a 13mm sbubbie wrench kindof hard to find individaullaely?

I have a regular sized gear wrench 13mm and a 1/4 gearwrench socket. which bolt are you referring to about being there awhile?
    do you have a suggestion on where to obtain a single wrench Sears was asking $25. plus tax.

Thanks

?1. before I start to replace the PS pump should I replenish the fuild?

?2. I'm planning on not bleeding the intire PS sys. thought the flush metod. was planning on the turkey baster method. over a couple weekends. maybe suck out the resovorior 3 times?

?3.I'm also wanting to replensish the brake fuild do the auto stores that rent tools have a mity vac. so I could bleed the brakes porperly?

Thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Buy a cheapo wrench and cut it in half..

silver
    99 ws6

yea I was thinking about cutting a cheap wrench however Danger731 suggests a gear wrench.

also waiting on feedback on ?s 1-3.
    Thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

yea I was thinking about cutting a cheap wrench however Danger731 suggests a gear wrench.

also waiting on feedback on ?s 1-3.
    Thanks
    Answer to (1) is no as you're bound to lose some fluid or alot, no need to fill it till everything is back together imho..

To number (3) many auto parts rent tools, but I have never rented tools so I can't quote you any specific tools..

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

question 1&2

walmart has a syringe device in its auto section thats good for sucking out fluids you have to search for it but its there . used on master cylinders etc. made in usa h ow about that!! sucking out a few times till it runs clear is perfect. thats what i do. power steering puller tool is in self help section of auto parts stores in a red package and the parts are black anodized its a universal kit for alot of diferent pullys cheap. party on good luck to all your ford friends: MUSTANG: Mostly Used Shit That Ain't No Good!! LOL ....... oldman......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information