Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

HOW IS SLP LS6 INTAKE compared to others?

Has anyone installed a SLP LS6 intake? What is the difference between SLPs and other LS6 intakes (if any).

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The weildan and BBK are know to heat soak, NOT GOOD. The FAST will only work well on a H/C turbo etc... car. On a basically stock or bolt on car, you wont see much hp increase. Your best bet is an LS6 intake and ported TB. Not as expensive and works great. I know some guys who have H/C and are still on the LS6 and still going strong.

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I just bought the SLP LS6 intake today. on sale. $370. seems like a good price. Ive done all my bolt ons except for the intake. Im hoping for a noticable difference

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Great Price!!

Great price on the manifold. I put the same on my 2000 Z28 about a month ago and a 78mm TB. I can definitely feel the difference. Don't know the gain as I don't have a base line. You will be pleased. Thanks for your service. MSgt USMC (ret 1982, Viet Nam Vet)
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Semper Fi! I havent changed my throttle body. One of the top GM tuners in the country told me the stock flows almost 1000 CFM. how long did it take you to change the intake?

Lets look at it this way, this months GMHTP magazine has a section that compares force induction vs. force induction. Almost all the cars were running under 11s. Some of them were sporting a non-fooled around with stock LS6 manifold.

Pretty good proof right there.

Awaiting Activation
    put my SLP LS6 on a few months ago and it was definately worth it. Made the car sound more aggressive and i could definately feel the extra power.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

3 Day Install

It took me 3 Days to install. I started engine on the 3rd. I only worked in the afternoon hours (too cold here at the time). I was slow, deliberate and still forgot to connect the two rear injector elect leads. No big deal just slowed the process and shows my QA efforts were slipping. HooRah

Did you have a noticeable difference? Id assume you wouldnt, but what about you?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Did you have a noticeable difference? Id assume you wouldnt, but what about you?
    ls6 intake w/ a PP TB is good for 15-20 rwhp

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

good info to know. anything you guys learned from your install that I should know as to make my process smoother?

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Oil Sensor

The oil sensor (sending unit) sits in a recess on the very rear of the manifold on the drivers side. You should lift the rear up as far as possible while siding the manifold forward to clear it and if you don't it will break (very weak affair). Only a few inches then you can sit it back down for the most part and continue on out. I took a blanket and laid across the engine. You have to hold the rear four manifold bolts up with your fingers while pulling forward. They won't clear the lower windshield fairing far enough to let you fully remove them at the beginning. Same routine going back. Hold the rear of the manifold up until you feel certain you have cleared the sensor. When the manifold is removed you can see the sensor to better have an idea what your dealing with. It is possible to see with an inspection mirror prior to removal to get a sense what your trying to clear. I got a fuel coupling disconnect tool from Auto Zone for about $5 to remove the fuel connection to the fuel rail on the drivers side. Some people remove the fuel rails and pull them off to the side. I did not as there is enough assemblies laying there already and didn't want any extra. I pulled it as a unit with fuel rails and TB and took it to the bench, switched out parts and started back. I think it makes the whole operation easier. I've seen it done both ways. SLP has some good instructions on their web site. Go to LS6 manifold and on the left of the screen is an "instructions" section. I down loaded that and it went pretty well. I didn't have any help but an extra set of hands would have been great on the manifold remove and install handling portion. Good luck

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Instructions

This site is for a FAST Manifold but has some good hints and great pictures.
    http://www.fuelairspark.com/Base/Ins...nFiles/147.pdf

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TRY ME GT View Post
    good info to know. anything you guys learned from your install that I should know as to make my process smoother?
    Make sure u got all the tools and take ur time. Watch out for the oil sending unit in the back. Be XTREMELY carefull not to hit it.

Awaiting Activation
    also i would make sure that once you get the manifold off you are careful that nothing falls in the intake ports for the heads. I put a towel over mine when i was working near them.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I used a glove to cover my intake ports, a towel is a good idea too.

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Good stuff to know. thanks

black
    2000 pontiac TA vert

put my SLP LS6 on a few months ago and it was definately worth it. Made the car sound more aggressive and i could definately feel the extra power.

how does an intake manifold make your car sound more aggresive?????

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Seems to be a differnce

Didn't see a change in the exhaust but seems to be a differnce in the air sound (being sucked in) if standing at the front of the engine and using the throttle at the TB. I have a 78mm FAST also so that might make a change also.

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I dont want to spend alot more money now because I already purchased alot of crap for my car this month...however, should I spend the money on a TB to change it when I change the intake? or is the throttle body a quick item to change later? If i should get one now, what kind of money? around 2-300?

Thread Information