Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How much HP will Long tubes make with or w/o Cats?

This is a discussion on How much HP will Long tubes make with or w/o Cats? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Z28_Driver what is the EGR, and how do you remove it? i see pacesetter offers race and ...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    what is the EGR, and how do you remove it?
    i see pacesetter offers race and headers with pollutin fittings.
    if i remove the egr would i need race headers? i haven't done much on pollution controlled cars.
    yes if your getting rid of the A.I.R. and egr you want the race headers. it really cleans up the looks of the engine bay and makes it easier to change plugs.
    then get a tune to turn your SES light off

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

what is the EGR, and how do you remove it?
    i see pacesetter offers race and headers with pollutin fittings.
    if i remove the egr would i need race headers? i haven't done much on pollution controlled cars.
    EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, it recirculates exhaust into the intake charge in the cylinder when the engine is at low-med loads at normal operating temperature. It is there to reduce NOX emissions. EGR does not flow under wide open throttle. You remove it by removing the tubing going to the front of the intake, getting a plug to plug the hole, and take the EGR valve itself off which is on the front of the right cylinder head. Also you remove the tube coming from the exhaust manifold going to the EGR valve. Simple, really.

And, what Mark said.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have QTP race headers and you van get a block off plate for the EGR and tune it out but sounds like you should get a LS6 intake used off a newer model like I did. No EGR and nmore HP than the LS1 intake.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I have QTP race headers and you van get a block off plate for the EGR and tune it out but sounds like you should get a LS6 intake used off a newer model like I did. No EGR and nmore HP than the LS1 intake.
    i have an 02. they already have the ls6 intake from what i hear on this site.
    didn't realize the 02 didn't have the EGR. not familiar with the pollution controls.
    thanks for the info
    Last edited by Z28_Driver; 06-21-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: correction

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, it recirculates exhaust into the intake charge in the cylinder when the engine is at low-med loads at normal operating temperature. It is there to reduce NOX emissions. EGR does not flow under wide open throttle. You remove it by removing the tubing going to the front of the intake, getting a plug to plug the hole, and take the EGR valve itself off which is on the front of the right cylinder head. Also you remove the tube coming from the exhaust manifold going to the EGR valve. Simple, really.

And, what Mark said.
    thanks for the explanation. sounds like i need to wait until i get headers cause i hear i'll need a tune after that too.

hugger orange

thanks for the explanation. sounds like i need to wait until i get headers cause i hear i'll need a tune after that too.
    if you delete the AIR and EGR and don't get a tune your ceck engine light will stay on......if you can deal with that you don't Need a tune right away.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

thanks. i'll just do it all at the same time if i go that route.
    AIR, EGR, cats, and add headers.
    not sure if i want to go that way.
    anybody running LTs and the cats?
    does this actually help with power and mileage?
    there is no testing in ohio for pollution currently, but our governor is looking to make money and obama concerns me too.
    don't want to take off everything and have to put it back on

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I put down 334rwhp and 340rwtq with just headers, 3" ORY, and a magnaflow catback. Not bad for an automatic.

You will gain hp, and not hurt gas mileage, so what you waiting for?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Here's where I am stuck. Picked up a great deal on a Corsa exhaust which was the only option for me since On the vette they are phenomenal and have no drone on the highway.

As for headers i want the LPP with the merge collectors but 60 day back order. like wtf...

May consider pacesetters now but am wondering about wether or not to go with high flow cats or no cats at all. How loud will it be without cats ?? I don't care how loud under wot just when I'm putting around town I want it as quiet as possible.

Also what gains are we looking at with longtubes and a cat back vs stock manifolds and cats w/catback ? If it's not noticeable or huge I may just bolt on the corsa and call it a day and be emissions friendly too.
    Don't get pacesetters if you where thinking lpp they are stainless steel and will last. if you have a expensive corsa exhaust mite as well get nice stainless steel headers that will last

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information