Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

how to get rid of the ''muscle car'' sound

This is a discussion on how to get rid of the ''muscle car'' sound within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Smittro They sound distinctively different to me especially with less restrictive exhausts.. A good example would be ...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    They sound distinctively different to me especially with less restrictive exhausts..

A good example would be a Harley.. Many companies try to duplicate the sound many get close..

To the unfamilier ear they do sound like a Harley, but every real Biker or someone whom spends a lot of time around Harleys knows the difference and hears the difference..

Spending lots of time around DOHC engines has given me the same kind of ear for the difference..

Weather it's a NorthStar, or Modular Ford I can hear the difference between a DOHC and a 2-valve no matter what exhaust they may run..

But this is all an arguement for another day..
    Interesting. I know exactly what you mean about Harleys. I expect it would be the same for different builds of engines, as well. I know I can normally even tell big block from small block, and Hemi and wedge motors, all apart.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You are only going to get one type of sound from a V-style, pushrod, two valve, OHV American V-8. You can play with different exhausts and cat back systems but the tone will always be the same because that is the fingerprint of an American V8 engine. Go buy some Euro-crap and have some fun. Alfa Romeo is a good place to start.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 10-16-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    Yep you read that right, I hate how American cars sound. I want to make it sound more European and sporty is it possible?
    I live in Europe and there's nothing here that compares with my Camaro.

Euro cars don't sound sporty, they sound like a tin can full of angry wasps.

If you genuinely want to get rid of the muscle car sound, just get rid of the muscle car. I seriously can't think of any good reason to do this though.

Red
    99 SS

^^^this man is right

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I just don't understand why you would buy a LS1 muscle car if you hate the sound of LS1s and muscle cars. I am not trying to insult anyone or start a fight, I just don't understand that.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Honestly, I think it's a matter of exhaust systems. Some have a loud growl like Flowmaster and others that have a subtle growl like SLP or Magnaflow. My car, with the SLP LM-1 has a nice, low burble at idle yet has a nice growl at accel. Time to start looking at your options OP. You can't change the engine, but you CAN experiment with catbacks.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    others that have a subtle growl like SLP or Magnaflow.
    I wouldn't say those two are anything alike.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I wouldn't say those two are anything alike.
    Agreed. Two completely different exhaust tones

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Red
    99 SS

Which is louder lmI or lmII

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

LM1 is louder.
    I has to cut mine off with a cam and longtubes though. Sounded like total shit....nothing but rasp.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well...mine sounds like this:

I guess I am just used to my car. Plus I don't have longtubes. Just factory manifolds and mids. But I don't think mine is louder than a GTO with a Magnaflow catback. Hell, LSCyal8r's Firehawk is probably the same tone with his Magnaflow catback.

LPM
    2000 Z28

May try to get a video of mine tomorrow. Been wanting to take one with the cutout open and closed anyways

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I guess I am just used to my car. Plus I don't have longtubes. Just factory manifolds and mids. But I don't think mine is louder than a GTO with a Magnaflow catback. Hell, LSCyal8r's Firehawk is probably the same tone with his Magnaflow catback.
    Mr. Luos probably assumed you had a F-body. That SLP exhaust sounds pretty decent on a GTO

SLP has (or had) different systems. Not only the LM1 and LM2 but they also sold a transverse muffler system with a 3" I pipe and 2 1/2" tailpipes that was optional on the SS camaros and Firehawks.
    That particular system is no longer made, but it's relatively quiet as well, I have it on both of our SS's.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass:2711677

Mr. Luos probably assumed you had a F-body. That SLP exhaust sounds pretty decent on a GTO
    I do have a f- body and I think my LM1 sounds pretty good but I have catted y and LTs with it. I think it's probably if you don't have cats that it sounds like crap. Here's mine from when the exhaust was just put on:

Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Mine had cats.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RedSuperSport View Post
    The pushrod motor sound is a love or hate relationship, either you love it or hate it, but nothing in my opinion sounds better than a cammed pushrod motor with open cutouts, it just screams American muscle

I used to think this too until my last mod

pewter
    2001 Z-28

sorry ,but im takin away ur man card,go buy a honda if u want a weak non muscle car sound

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by eatin mustangs View Post
    sorry ,but im takin away ur man card,go buy a honda if u want a weak non muscle car sound
    Do you even realize what his last mod is? It is a procharger and in my opinion the procharger makes our engines sound totally different. There is no need to act like a jerk. Also it may serve you better to figure out what people are talking about before you scream "go buy a honda". In this case it leaves you looking like an ass.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Do you even realize what his last mod is? It is a procharger and in my opinion the procharger makes our engines sound totally different. There is no need to act like a jerk. Also it may serve you better to figure out what people are talking about before you scream "go buy a honda". In this case it leaves you looking like an ass.
    He could have been referring to the OP

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information