Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

How do you identify an LS6 from an LS1 intake?

This is a discussion on How do you identify an LS6 from an LS1 intake? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just like it says, how do you identify the difference? I'd like to purchase a used one, but I could've ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    How do you identify an LS6 from an LS1 intake?

    Just like it says, how do you identify the difference? I'd like to purchase a used one, but I could've sworn the runners looked to be the same with a black casting? Or am I just an idiot? Ok, I AM an idiot, but how do you tell the difference?

  2. #2
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    The bottom of the ls-6 is flat while the bottom of the ls-1 has two valley's with a hill in the middle.
    ls-6 on left, and ls-1 on right the fins in this picture have been ground down on the ls-6 so the 98-00 coolant lines will not hit the bottom of the ls-6.


  3. #3
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    635

    SOM
    1998 T.A.

    http://www.c5help.com/partnumbers.htm

    I post this about once a week on some forum. Yes on the flat bottom if it is in your hands.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    Right on, thanks for the help! C5Z28 - Thanks alot for the picture!

  5. #5
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Also, look at the part number on the driver side front. I am gonna make this a sticky since it comes up frequently.

  6. #6
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Also, here is a link with instructions on how to go about swapping your intake:

    http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

  7. #7
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Well then in that case here is a pic of the opsu they don't mention. You have to unplug the damn thing and make sure you pull the brake booster over the sensor, this can only be done after you disconnect it. Get the fuel rail out of the way first so you can get in there to unplug it.


  8. #8
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    And to save you $50 something on a kit you don't need here is where you grind the fins so the 98-00 coolant lines work.


  9. #9
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    LS6 intake manifold (01-02 F-body) = 88894339 (formerly 88890524, 88890523, 12561184)
    LS6 intake manifold (from Corvette Z06) = ? (formerly 12573572)
    LS6 intake manifold gasket set (contains 8 gaskets) = 12533587
    LS6 intake manifold bolt = 12552344
    LS6 intake manifold seal = 12560251

    hope this helps.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    145

    Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Does anyone know if a kit is still made to plug the EGR hole in the exhaust manifold? I might be buying a LS-6 intake in the near future but won't be buying headers anytime soon. Thanks.

    Scott

  11. #11
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    Does anyone know if a kit is still made to plug the EGR hole in the exhaust manifold? I might be buying a LS-6 intake in the near future but won't be buying headers anytime soon. Thanks.

    Scott
    thin metal and punch out two holes for the bolts, or go to a car parts place.

  12. #12
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    Does anyone know if a kit is still made to plug the EGR hole in the exhaust manifold? I might be buying a LS-6 intake in the near future but won't be buying headers anytime soon. Thanks.

    Scott
    i can have some stainless ones made. i just got them done for mine.

  13. #13
    Member lsgunner28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Johnstown Pa.
    Posts
    237

    Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

    stupid question probably, where can one find the #s on the intake? I looked quick, but my camaro is in storage without much light. its a 2000 Z28, any chance it has an ls6 intake on it?

  14. #14
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    LS6 intake manifold (01-02 F-body) = 88894339 (formerly 88890524, 88890523, 12561184)
    LS6 intake manifold (from Corvette Z06) = ? (formerly 12573572)
    LS6 intake manifold gasket set (contains 8 gaskets) = 12533587
    LS6 intake manifold bolt = 12552344
    LS6 intake manifold seal = 12560251

    hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    stupid question probably, where can one find the #s on the intake? I looked quick, but my camaro is in storage without much light. its a 2000 Z28, any chance it has an ls6 intake on it?
    i few posts above yours. and on the drivers side.

  15. #15
    Junior Member tznutts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Piedmont, OK
    Posts
    23

    Midnight Blue
    1999 Trans Am M6

    I have a stock 99 LS1 TA. So from what I understand here all I need to convert is the LS6 manifold and some coolant port plugs... or do I need other items to get the performance, i.e throtle body, injectors etc? Will all of my components fit off of my old LS1 intake?

    Maybe I missed it in the read somewhere?

    I am a total newbe at this but have heard about the low $$$ performance the swap creates and am seriously considering it.

    Thanks!

  16. #16
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by tznutts View Post
    I have a stock 99 LS1 TA. So from what I understand here all I need to convert is the LS6 manifold and some coolant port plugs... or do I need other items to get the performance, i.e throtle body, injectors etc? Will all of my components fit off of my old LS1 intake?

    Maybe I missed it in the read somewhere?

    I am a total newbe at this but have heard about the low $$$ performance the swap creates and am seriously considering it.

    Thanks!
    Start a new thread

  17. #17
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Also, look at the part number on the driver side front. I am gonna make this a sticky since it comes up frequently.
    I know this is an old thread, but for anyone that is doing a search and comes upon this, I found the serial # on the passenger side, near the back. I have a 98 Camaro; the serial number checked out to a LS1 with EGR.

  18. #18
    Junior Member black2kSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    cheektowaga, ny
    Posts
    96

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    pretty sure no ls6 intake has EGR hole in it so that's one of the easy ways to identify it from ls1 which would have EGR hole. that and flat bottom as mentioned on the ls6

  19. #19
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by black2kSS View Post
    pretty sure no ls6 intake has EGR hole in it so that's one of the easy ways to identify it from ls1 which would have EGR hole. that and flat bottom as mentioned on the ls6
    Slp provides one with egr

  20. #20
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by black2kSS View Post
    pretty sure no ls6 intake has EGR hole in it so that's one of the easy ways to identify it from ls1 which would have EGR hole. that and flat bottom as mentioned on the ls6
    not true on egr.

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Slp provides one with egr
    correct.
    i have had 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help identify these
    By Larry in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
  2. Help: Help identify this car!!!
    By Spikito in forum General Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
  3. Can someone identify this?
    By 1999slpss in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 05:30 AM
  4. Question: How to identify a LS6 intake?
    By SMWS6TA in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
  5. Identify this intake
    By Luey357 in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •