Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How do I rid the raspy sound of Loudmouth around 2200 RPM?

This is a discussion on How do I rid the raspy sound of Loudmouth around 2200 RPM? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; That makes sense then, the only codes I threw when I got the car were from the stock 02 sensors ...

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

That makes sense then, the only codes I threw when I got the car were from the stock 02 sensors on both sides. I'm guessing longtubes really wear out sensors fast. Replaced those and been perfect ever since. Gotta love Texas then! (Except for all the speed traps)
    2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition
    Vert M6
    SLP CAI
    Hooker Super Comp Ceramic Coated LT's
    3" Ebay Catted Hooker Y-Pipe
    SLP Loudmouth I Center Mount with SLP tips

Quote Originally Posted by 02SS35th View Post
    I"m just trying to figure out how I passed inspection twice with longtubes, and no cats. Either Texas is relaxed on emissions, or they really like my car.
    Do you guys have just the plug in test?

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

Yeah, pretty sure. I watched them do my inspection last time and saw no tube in my exhaust, or no one look underneath for cats. Literally takes them 10 minutes for a state inspection.

That's why you passed without cats then. They do the same process in other states, including here in AZ.

When I lived in Ohio though that wasn't the case, they did the sniffer on everything, without the cats on the newer cars, you were in trouble.
    Thankfully Ohio got rid of e-testing all together a few years ago in the SW region where I lived.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

After further driving today with my top down, I can say that my system is much quieter than it was before, but not at WOT. The high-flow cats really quieten down the headers, but they still roar when you gas it. Hope this thread helps Loudmouth users/potential buyers out when choosing headers or not.

Couple pictures of the $38 high flow cats I used.

Last edited by 02SS35th; 03-01-2011 at 03:06 PM.

I def plan on keeping the cats. Then I can be somewhat quiet at idle when I need to be.

now greybat66

navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

where did you purchase the cats, what company i am thinking of getting cats to go with my hooker lts.Thank you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    where did you purchase the cats, what company i am thinking of getting cats to go with my hooker lts.Thank you.
    He tells you this in the very first post and even has a link to them

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Bringing back this tread. I went through the very same issues. I have QTP long tubes w a 3" catted ory w magnaflow highigh flow cats, into a GMMG catback. With the cats my rasp was very very minimal, however my car is lowered and I kept bottoming out on our wonderful NE Ohio roads and the cats kept coming apart on the inside, rattling and wedging in the y merge. Put 4 cats on it and decided enough was enough. Left the cats on for visual inspection, but gutted them so if I bottom out it wont matter. The drone and rasp is unbearable!! I really dont want a super loud car, but at least w the cats it sounded nice. Now it's terrible. I went to summit racing and bought a moroso spiral flow bullet muffler to but in the section between the y and the catback. Hopefully should clean it up alot. I'll let you guys know after the install and hopefully those going through this same issue can find an easier fix than either going through countless cats and/or cutting into their ory.
    Last edited by mpfranks; 09-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Could you even drive a heads/cammed loudmouth car around? haha I like how they sound with LT's and simple bolt ons but I cant imagine one with engine work.
    im running true duals with lm1's on my car (mods are in sig)
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

Black
    2000 WS6

Here's another way.
    Resonance is caused by vibration.
    At 2200 rpm, the LM hits a peak vibration that is caused by it's physical design.
    Try this 1st, have a pipe welder tack on some SS bar stock in two places along the length of the LM.
    The stock should be no more than 1/8 inch thick.
    This will change the peak resonance point much higher, which is what you want.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    Bringing back this tread. I went through the very same issues. I have QTP long tubes w a 3" catted ory w magnaflow highigh flow cats, into a GMMG catback. With the cats my rasp was very very minimal, however my car is lowered and I kept bottoming out on our wonderful NE Ohio roads and the cats kept coming apart on the inside, rattling and wedging in the y merge. Put 4 cats on it and decided enough was enough. Left the cats on for visual inspection, but gutted them so if I bottom out it wont matter. The drone and rasp is unbearable!! I really dont want a super loud car, but at least w the cats it sounded nice. Now it's terrible. I went to summit racing and bought a moroso spiral flow bullet muffler to but in the section between the y and the catback. Hopefully should clean it up alot. I'll let you guys know after the install and hopefully those going through this same issue can find an easier fix than either going through countless cats and/or cutting into their ory.
    I have the morosos on my true dual setup right before the tips. I also have no cats. There's next to 0 internal noise, just deep and smooth. Outside though the car sounds completely different. I don't know how it'll sound on a y-pipe setup but I think you'll like it.

I had this problem with my camaro when I had Lt's. I got a set of those exact same ebay cats. It helped a bit. With my ws6 though I just said screw it and got true duals. Will never go back to a single pipe, no rasp or drone, and the quality of sound is X10000 times better. Doesn't even compare to before.
    M6, MS3 Cam, FAST 92/92, LS7 Clutch, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, Lid, K&N, OBX LT's, 3in ORX True Duals, KYB AGX shocks, BMR 3-Point SFCs, BMR springs, BMR Adj. PHR, LCA Relos, STB, 315 NT555Rs, DeepDish C5Z06s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information