Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

How do I clean the MAF ?

My mechanic told me today that my MAF needs cleaned. He said that when running 40 mph that it is only getting 7 lbs of air flow and that it should be around 23.

How/what do you do to clean it ?

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

I use "throttle body and air intake cleaner" I think it is made by stp. It can be bought at autozone. This stuf works pretty good and is not too much money. by the way it is an areosol spray can. All you have to do is remove the sensor and spray it down good, let it dry and reinstall.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yup. That should do it. There is also specific MAF cleaner, should be next to the other carb cleaner spray. (I know you are old enough to remember carb cleaner LOL) has your car been running different lately? With your MAF that skewed it should have been running way lean, hesitating, maybe backfiring too.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yup. That should do it. There is also specific MAF cleaner, should be next to the other carb cleaner spray. (I know you are old enough to remember carb cleaner LOL) has your car been running different lately? With your MAF that skewed it should have been running way lean, hesitating, maybe backfiring too.
    it idles low and a little hesitation on take off, I think I got used to it and didnt notice. The mechanic who is not a big fan of K&N filters said that all the ones he has seen like that is because of the oil in the filter. I cleaned my filter a few months back and was careful to only lightly spray the filter. So I dont know ???

When I clean it is it okay to take a cotton swab and rub over the sensor ?

yes I am old enough to remember carb cleaner dang it

after I get it cleaned how much better should the car perform ?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Dont rub anything on the sensors or wires, they very very fragile, Trust me i know, Anywho, you can pick up some Maf cleaner made by Crc, most local parts store's sell it, just follow the directions, In short ya just remove the maf, then spray the maf over and over until its clean. Also if you have a k&n filter just ditch it, you dont gain anything over a stock type paper filter and you dont have to worry about the oil getting on your maf and sending your car haywire..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

crc maf cleaner is sold at most auto stores and is safe for electronics.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Dont rub anything on the sensors or wires, they very very fragile, Trust me i know, Anywho, you can pick up some Maf cleaner made by Crc, most local parts store's sell it, just follow the directions, In short ya just remove the maf, then spray the maf over and over until its clean. Also if you have a k&n filter just ditch it, you dont gain anything over a stock type paper filter and you dont have to worry about the oil getting on your maf and sending your car haywire..
    J
    the mechanic said if he cleaned it it would be like $30-40 (I was thinking na I will save that $$ and do it myself) but he said he takes a cotton swab and rubs over it to clean it. I remembered what people said on here about not touching it. He told me the same thing to ditch the K&N and go with paper. Which paper filter is a good one ?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Just get a delco replacement.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I did an experiment at the track one night, between a K&N, new AC Delco, and no air filter. There was no difference in MPH for any of this.

And yeah, do not touch the wires with anything besides the spray.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I did an experiment at the track one night, between a K&N, new AC Delco, and no air filter. There was no difference in MPH for any of this.

And yeah, do not touch the wires with anything besides the spray.
    good experiment

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    the mechanic said if he cleaned it it would be like $30-40 (I was thinking na I will save that $$ and do it myself) but he said he takes a cotton swab and rubs over it to clean it. I remembered what people said on here about not touching it. He told me the same thing to ditch the K&N and go with paper. Which paper filter is a good one ?
    I used a cotton swap to clean mine with rubbing alcohol it can be done just have to be real gentle and it works fine now. Got the info from a friend who has been tunning ls1's for the past 4 years. He has a badass 2000 SS that he actually got collector status for it from the goverment this car is clean from top to bottom and has about 25k in mods done to it so I trusted his opnion he said he does that to his.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I would just buy the stuff in a can at an auto parts store Randy. I wouldn't touch the maf sensors with ANYTHING! KN filters are good as long as you don't over oil them. It happens. yeah, and save your $40 and clean it your self. I took mine off today and took it apart and I did the screen delete. Taking it apart was easy. Those coils are FINE I mean I couldn't even see through them(probably need to clean mine). Also, just to let you know on the screen thing... I was hesitant about taking it out for years. I've been researching it the whole time. Lingenfelter doesn't use one in their cars so it can't be all that bad. so I kept looking around and on the gm high tech performance website they did it, so I finally gave in. Can't really tell a difference so far but it sure does look cool looking through the clear lid to see my ported and polished throttle body opening up.

some say dont take it out because it blocks trash from getting into your engine like feathers and rocks... I once read if that stuff is getting that far, then you've got problems with your air filter/sealing with the lid. Mine is sealing TIGHT my lid did fit poorly on the maf when I first got it but I improvise. I got some of that clear silicone stuff and ever since I did that I never saw trash on it. Today I knocked out the screen. Seems cool.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ons/index.html

If these guys did it, I can live with that.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

all I was saying was I did it and it worked fine if you dont have steady hands then ya I would prob not try it but hey why buy anything when you prob have swabs and rubbing alcohol around the house.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    Just pick up a fram.
    J

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you want a good air filter go with a amsoil but really-theres nothing wrong with a K@N.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

ive heard paper is just as good. no worries about the oil getting on the maf elements. if your not using the maf anymore, then use whatever.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    He has a badass 2000 SS that he actually got collector status for it from the goverment
    Huh? Collector status from the government? Huh?
    Never heard of this.................please explain.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    Huh? Collector status from the government? Huh?
    Never heard of this.................please explain.
    government, d.o.t not sure which it is he went through but you can only do it for the cars that are "special" for f-bodies it would be the cars like ws.6 firehawk and ss couldn't do it for a z or t/a which sucks, but he had to prove he had over 15k in mods and didn't drive more than 5,000mi a year. He said it took a long time to get done and it was a bitch but it was worth it to makes his car emission exempt plus special plates. if you go to custom ls1 tuning com you can see his car it's the orange ss send him an e-mail and ask how he went about it his name is bill
    Last edited by LS1buckey; 03-23-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

well I used it and wow what a difference ! My mechanic was right..........took it for a test drive and your could tell a SOYP difference

Thread Information