Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

how about Mac headers

hey guys, I am new here and neded some help. I just bought a 1999 z28 (M6) and planing on getting some bolt ons. I just bought a volant cold air and planing on getting Mac headers with off road y's. does anyone knows how is clearance with this set, and how good or bad they are. I have search but there is almost no info on this set. any info will be helpfull, thanks

are they macs shorties?

you might as well buy a set of decently priced long tubes.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

mids.

witch headers have the best clearance. I am planing on installing them my self

10's N/A

My brother runs Mac full exhaust (ceramic-coated mids,Y-pipe and Cat-back) on his '98 Formula. The headers are great and weren't to bad on the install, and plenty of clearance ofcourse with them being mids. I don't necessarily like the cat-back but the headers are great.

i have a set of pacesetting LTs and they were pretty cheap, i havent' installed them yet but from what i read they're easy to install. just like installing LTs on any v8

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

did he noticed a big diference after installing the headers or was it just a little? sorry to bother, I just whant to know what to expect.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gomez View Post
    did he noticed a big diference after installing the headers or was it just a little? sorry to bother, I just whant to know what to expect.
    Headers will definitely give you a nice gain. We did the headers back @ the same time on his car so we couldn't tell how much the headers helped on their own. But yeah, you won't be dissapointed.

Black
    2005 GTO

Theres nothing wrong with mac's they just need some work. You can pick macs up in any of the forum for sale sections for $100 or less. Then cut the damn ball flange off and they do some porting work on the primaries(the primaries have some terrible welds in them that need cleaning up). You will need some welding done to get the y-pipe to match up if you get rid of the flanges but its well worth it in my opinion. They are also very easy to install once the flange is gone, they will slide right in from the top. They are capable of making damn good power. I put down 358hp and 369ft lbs with my macs, catback with cutout lid, underdrive, and home ported tb, custom tune and I have cats.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

thanks for the info guys, it has being very helpfull. I have another question you guys could help me with. My car came with a flowmaster muffler but i have read that this muffler does not flow good. My goal is to reach 400rwhp with bolt ons. Is this muffler good or should I change it?

10's N/A

My LS1 had a TSP Rumbler on it, but I have heard from many LS1 guys that Flowmaster is no good. While I cannot verify this, many guys have said it lacks flow and there are much better cat-backs out there for LS motors. Now the LT1 is a different story as Flowmasters work just fine.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    My LS1 had a TSP Rumbler on it, but I have heard from many LS1 guys that Flowmaster is no good. While I cannot verify this, many guys have said it lacks flow and there are much better cat-backs out there for LS motors. Now the LT1 is a different story as Flowmasters work just fine.
    What cat-back would be the best?

should I get Mac cat-backs to have all Mac exhoust sistem

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539033

mac cat back for 175. but you'll have to do some adjustments for the i pipe to match up to the y.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

and he's been trying to sell it for a while. so you may even be able to get it cheaper...

i have a flowmaster muffler on my z28. i seems to be fine, and it sounds pretty good

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539033

mac cat back for 175. but you'll have to do some adjustments for the i pipe to match up to the y.
    Thanks

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_b View Post
    i have a flowmaster muffler on my z28. i seems to be fine, and it sounds pretty good
    I've never had a problem with Flowmasters on my LTx's, they've always flowed very good and have one of the best notes in my opinions. I run a 3" in/dual 3" out American Thunder system and it is excellent all around. But, like I said, many LS1 guys have bad things to say about them for some reason.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_b View Post
    I like the sound of it too , but I am willing to spend a little more money to get better flow

M3 SMG 350HP

I picked up 22rwhp taking my Flowmaster 3" catback off and replacing it with a SLP loudmouth.

I also have the Mac Mid-length headers and I also cut the ball off the ends and put 2.5" flange. I did a custom 2.5" y-pipe and make over 440rwhp.

Just my o2

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 94 Formula View Post
    I picked up 22rwhp taking my Flowmaster 3" catback off and replacing it with a SLP loudmouth.

I also have the Mac Mid-length headers and I also cut the ball off the ends and put 2.5" flange. I did a custom 2.5" y-pipe and make over 440rwhp.

Just my o2
    nice, how does is sound? have you take it to the 1/4 mile?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Mac headers were popular years ago when the only long tubes availible costed a small fortune. Nowadays with Pacesetters and Hookers and such, there's not much point to em.I switched from Macs myself a couple years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information