M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Hooker vs. Hedman?

Which would you guys recomend, Hooker headers or Hedman? The hookers are mid-length and the hedmans are full length, is there a difference in the lengths as far as performance? Oh and does anyone know were i could get those cutouts? Thanks

Black
    1999 T/A

Yes there is a difference in performance an length. Mid length with get you and average of about 10HP untuned and Full length or LONG-Tube headers will get you about 15-20hp untuned. I would recommend getting LT's like pacesetters. I have Flowtech which are a budget header that performs well but install like shit. If you go with a mid-length I would go with MAC pricey but very nice.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Hooker makes LT's for our cars - I run the JetHot Hooker LT's, JetHot Y-Pipe, no cats, and GMMG catback.

If you plan to do any more engine mods in the future then definitely go with the LT's - you won't be sorry. Midlengths are fine if you're staying mild with your mods.

-Jay-

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks for the advice guys. I was looking at hookers long tubes with their ceramic coating but its like 600 something bucks. But pacesetter has longtubes for like 429 and with ceramic coating. Also some headers say for "race use only" and that they dont have AIR or EGR sensors? What are those, im in florida so i dont want to run cats, but if i dont have those other sensors will the ses light turn on?

LS1 is the only one...

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

don't mid-lengths helpw/ground clearance?

BlackHawk T/A
    Not really...people with good longtubes need to worry more about their pipes and not the header...

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Hey buddy why dont you start your own thread. I dont want to sound like an asswhole or a jerk but im trying to get some information here cause im planning on getting these things pretty soon, and when i go to order i want to know exactly what im getting.

Blue SS
    I have 1 3/4 Jet Hot's now, but I just bought a set of SS 1 7/8 Kook's with offroad Y-pipe.
    Last edited by Blue SS; 10-31-2005 at 06:03 AM.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

What that mean, 3/4 and 7/8? Is that the thickness of the flange? Oh, and another question to anyone who has done this before, was it difficult to install the headers? I mean do you have to remove anything in order to get to them like the coils or something? My dad took a look at it and said it would be hard and that all that stuff was in the way especially on the passenger side. But even though its a tight fit, i think i can unbolt them from the top, slip the manifolds out from the bottom and slide the new ones in from the bottom too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

i think i can unbolt them from the top, slip the manifolds out from the bottom and slide the new ones in from the bottom too
    That would be exactly how I did it. Just make sure you have the car up on jackstands (or a hoist if you're that lucky) that can go up at least 24"high if you're installing LT's.

Actually I had more trouble getting the DS header in because you have to snake it between the steering shaft and the block.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks alot, thats how i figured id have to do it, and like i said you dont have to remove anything to get to'em right i can see all the bolts i have to remove its just a tight fit. Oh yeah, i also wanted to know, i have a flowmaster muffler( i know they dont do much for performance but it sounds good) i wanted to know if with the headers and a y-pipe if it would sound any louder? And soes anybody know bout those sensors. Thanks in advance.

Blue SS
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
    What that mean, 3/4 and 7/8? Is that the thickness of the flange? Oh, and another question to anyone who has done this before, was it difficult to install the headers? I mean do you have to remove anything in order to get to them like the coils or something? My dad took a look at it and said it would be hard and that all that stuff was in the way especially on the passenger side. But even though its a tight fit, i think i can unbolt them from the top, slip the manifolds out from the bottom and slide the new ones in from the bottom too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    The 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 is the diameter of the header pipes, 1 7/8 will flow more, better for H/C, Nitrous, ect...

I haven't heard to much about Headman, I'd go with Jet Hot's or Pacesetter's.

(Sorry edited)
    Last edited by Blue SS; 10-31-2005 at 06:02 AM.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Ill probably be going with the pacesetters. So the pipe steps down from the 1 3/4 inch primaries to 7/8?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

i wanted to know if with the headers and a y-pipe if it would sound any louder?
    Go to LS1sounds.com - they have sound clips of various exhaust setups - may be one there that is what you're looking for...

Thread Information