Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Hooker Exhaust Review After 2 Weeks

Ok, I just installed my Hooker Super-Comp exhaust 2 weeks ago, and I'd like to give my 2 cents on it. The night before I put my car up on ramps and sprayed everything that's coming off with a lot of Liquid Wrench and let it soak. The stock exhaust was a bitch to get off (expected), and the first problem was the bolt stripped off the band clamp on the downpipe. Hooker does not give a band clamp and tells you to re-use your stock clamp. So that was the first trip to a hardware store. Cut the clamp and downpipe off. Then the pipe right before it bends was cut.The carbide blade me and my Dad used with a sawzall wound up warping and broke from the heat. Second trip to the hardware store. After that was done, the exhaust clamps were taken off and my Dad suggested to go out and buy new exhaust hangars because those were rusted. Third trip to the hardware store. After the stock exhaust was on, here comes the easy part (we thought). Put on the downpipe. Slid right into place. Then the curved pipe around the axle. Another easy slip in. I bolted the muffler on while my Dad was bench-pressing it. Then to the tailpipes. The driver's side was easy, but the damn universal hangars were not universal. Then the passengers side. Whoever designed those tailpipes should find a new job, because the chasis where the jack and donut sits is very low, and the pipe fits as if that mound of the chasis isn't there. So here comes cutting brand new pipe. When my Dad took it off I noticed there was a small dent from him trying to hammer the pipe in out of frustration. He then took off the muffler and ported it out a little bit because the clamp closed it up a bit and he said it wasn't a good weild. The passenger tailpipe was cut on the wrong side also, so I lost 2 inches off the length. Then it was cut AGAIN another 3 inches. So after that mess, the tips slid on and every clamp and bolt were tightened. Turns out because the axle was suspended, the pipes sat differently and the passenger side was still farther out than the driver's side. When I get the chance I'll have a weilder adjust and weild the tailpipes on. Second issue was after a week of driving I was hearing a lot of rattling from the rear. I got under my car today and noticed the rubber hangar slipped off the support bar on the driver's side tailpipe. That looks like its gonna be a bitch to slide on and I'm not driving till monday so it's gonna sit. Anybody else have these issues with their exhausts???

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Holy Cr@p!

I was just about to order one of those! I am a little surprised as I haven't read any similar horror stories about fit up. The old system removal challenge is pretty common though.

I've used 3 of these systems and have NEVER had an issue.

THe only 'problem' I've EVER had is with the last one, the tip squeaked. All I had to do was put some 'dimples' in the sides and it stopped.

The trick is to not tighten any bolts until the entire system is up. Also try and keep it as far up under the car as possible.

And they make the tail pipes long on purpose, so if you have some wierd rear bumper or different tips or a different set-up, you won't be short.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Well it was definitely off by a lot. i'd expect a bolt-on kit to do just that; bolt on. It's not a huge deal though, I'll have a weilder fix the length of the pipes cuz it's still off. I think I might get ahold of Holley too and see if I can get a replacement tailpipe, cuz like I said the wrong side was accidentally cut and my tailpipes don't stick out to show off the stainless tips. I'm still happy with the purchase, just a little disappointed about the tailpipe, that they didn't supply hangars and I can't find them, didn't design the hook for the hangar well, and didn't have the tailpipes properly measured. Here are pics

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Installed Mine Today

I ordered it anyway, even after the original post. We put it up on a lift and started hacking on the old system. The old stuff was off in 15 minutes, plus another 10 to remove the stock band clamp per the instructions. It was spot welded, so we had to vice/chisel it free. No sawzall issues whatsoever - it cut like the pipe was butter.

The new system went in no sweat. The spare tire well was really close to the passenger side pipe, so we bent the lip down which provided plenty of clearance. The tail pipes are loooong and we went through a few adjustments to get everything right. It is pretty quiet at responsible cruising speeds and idle, but gets throaty when you step on it. A total of 1.5 hours work to install.

I'm going to hack 1.5" off the ends of the tail pipe to set the tips further under the car and adjust the system so the tips are a little higher. Also, after 1/2 hour of driving, something loosened up enough such that the inlet pipe will make intermittent contact with a heat shield on the passenger side. If I had it to do over, I'd get a new band clamp for the front and another bolt (vs. reusing the factory one) on the passenger side hanger.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Not bad...good luck pulling off the tailpipes after they've been clamped on. I tried to contact Holley to see if I can purchase a new passenger tailpipe since it has a little ding and got cut on the exit side accidentally, but they won't give me a price and keep on telling me to contact the person who I bought it from.

How did you get it on the stock hangar on the driver's side without having it slip off every day? Take pics plz...

I'm not saying I wouldn't have bought this system, I just think it would've saved me a huge headache by having a shop install it so I can bitch at them when something goes wrong. I'm disappointed at Holley's customer service though, because they're just brushing me off.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I want to complain about my license plate cover too. The ebay seller said it was stainless...1 year later look at the rust. The seller is not on ebay anymore (or just changed his user), wonder why.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I think you have two problems. First, you are hugging the passenger side wayy too tight. Second, the tail pipes aren't spread out enough.

You can adjust the "width" of the system where the tailpipes mount to the the muffler. We started by rotating the main inlet pipe (the one that connects to the Y-pipe) clockwise until we had the muffler inlet pipe (the one that bolts to the muffler) until its hanger was centered on the factory hanger. This is a two-bolt arrangement with some slop in it, so use it as necessary. Everything is still loose at this point. We placed the tailpipes in the muffler as far as they would go to see how close we were. We ended up moving them out 1/2" or so on either side (out of the mufller). After that, we started snugging the system, front to back, and checked everything with a level along the way. Basically, go front to back, left to right, and it should go together relatively well. I'd also grab a strap wrench to allow you to wiggle the pipes without damaging them.

The rattling/banging is likely the inlet pipe that goes over the axle hitting the heat shield located in that area. Weirdly enough, mine stopped today. I'm hoping I can just chop the tailpipes on the car.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

believe it or not, that tailpipe only hits the frame during start-up...and i don't want my pipes pointing downward.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

oh yea, if it were misaligned, then why did it bolt directly into place on the passenger hangar?

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Only Minor Problems Here

I have had mine on since April and love the sound. My only problems were the passenger side wouldn't snug up as high as the left. Pipe will hit the spare tire wheel well cavity. I kept a clearance and leveled the drivers side to match and think they look pretty good (not too low). I also thought they were too long for my taste with the dual extensions. I ordered 8 inch single slash and now like the way it looks.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    oh yea, if it were misaligned, then why did it bolt directly into place on the passenger hangar?
    I wasn't saying you should bend your pipes down, just the lip of the spare tire well. The passenger side pipe hanger has some slop you can use, along with how much you insert each tailpipe - to keep everything centered. It should slide right in pretty much anywhere in its range of adjustment.

I just noticed something else - and probably the biggest source of your misery. I think you have the incorrect end of the drivers side pipe in the muffler. The end of the barstock mount on the passenger side points toward the front, not side of the car. That is how the factory one was mounted, so I just duplicated it. Flip it around and follow other's advice and I think you will get where you need to with the system.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    I got under my car today and noticed the rubber hangar slipped off the support bar on the driver's side tailpipe.
    That's funny man. I got a Flowmaster 40series I'm gonna soon change out. Everyday I'm looking on the backside of my car to make sure that same hanger doesn't slip off. So far the driverside hanger fell off twice, one time right before a carshow and I had the embarrassment of fixing it right then and there. I hangout in Edison alot by Menlo and I don't think I've ever seen your ride man. Funny how there's tons of Fbodies waiting to be discovered everyday right in your own town! LoL.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I just trimmed about 1.75 in off each of the tailpipes today. Much better look. I saw another car with a body kit and you would definitely need the length with shorter tips and/or a body kit.

Thread Information