Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hooker Cat-back!!

This is a discussion on Hooker Cat-back!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am debating on which exhaust to get and looking at the price difference between Hooker and others after reading ...

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I am debating on which exhaust to get and looking at the price difference between Hooker and others after reading these posts it seems like you can't go wrong. Corsa is the other brand I am thinking about because after having a flowmaster for 2 years the drone at 75mph has gotten annoying and they advertise the Corsa to be quiet at cruise. I have friends that won't even ride with me anymore because of it. How is it like with the Hooker system? I have an A4 with 3.42's and run about 3500 rpm's at 75.

Hey Roastem, you wouldn't happen to work at the NIEHS center? I am on one of the NIEHS training grants.

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    When I got my car it already has SLP LT's, offroad Y, and the Hooker setup. The tips are awesome, and it sounds like a Cobra with full offroad exhaust, as far as smoothness and deep tone. The only thing I don't like about the Hooker is that I wish it was Stainless Steel. The Magnaflow has the look I want (polished SS), but I don't want to get rid of the sound of the Hooker. That mothaf*cka sounds RAW.

I got a cam in it too, and when I go to work in the morning I let it warm up, leave the front door open, I can hear it counting off and choppin outside like it's ready to RUMBLE!!!

The tone changes at about 4000 rpm on my car. It is real smooth and mustang like up until 4K, then it morphes into full-on big block power mode and it will make the hair stand up on your neck from 4000 to 6500 rpm. Gotdamn that b*tch is RAW!

LS1, GOTTA HAVE IT!!!
    I had that exact setup on my camaro, but t he ground clearence was horrible, this time around i went all out hooker and ceramic coated

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist
    I am debating on which exhaust to get and looking at the price difference between Hooker and others after reading these posts it seems like you can't go wrong. Corsa is the other brand I am thinking about because after having a flowmaster for 2 years the drone at 75mph has gotten annoying and they advertise the Corsa to be quiet at cruise. I have friends that won't even ride with me anymore because of it. How is it like with the Hooker system? I have an A4 with 3.42's and run about 3500 rpm's at 75.

Hey Roastem, you wouldn't happen to work at the NIEHS center? I am on one of the NIEHS training grants.
    I work at DuPont Electronic Technologies, about 5 miles from NIEHS. Our softball league used to play on NIEHS's field. To add to your comment, the Hooker system does not drone under 4000 rpm. So, that catback should not be annoying. If you are ever around this area, you can take a listen to my car, that is the best way to hear a setup, in person. Of course, mine does sound better after putting the cam in it, but it sounded damn good with the stock cam too.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    I had that exact setup on my camaro, but t he ground clearence was horrible, this time around i went all out hooker and ceramic coated
    Yeah, the ground clearance SUCKS!!! It doesn't help that my driveway has a hill then a steep downward angle. I think I am gonna eventually scrub a hole in those damn low ass SLP headers. You can see them hanging 2 or 3 inches below the subframe connectors from the side!!! Why in the hell did SLP design those headers like that? Forget about drop springs, that would be even worse.

They make good power and sound SWEET though. That is the only upside.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    How much was the ceramic hooker headers and Y-pipe?

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    How much was the ceramic hooker headers and Y-pipe?
    I'll have to go check my reciepts, it might be the same price as it was before but I know I shopped around, I got it at ls1speed.com

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
    i know its a great catback..especially for the price..but i want my car to be loud... all catbacks can scream at WOT!! i want one thats loud at start up, and deep rumble at idle..

That's the exact reason I'm trading my GMMG for a hooker. The GMMG sounds great! Deep, loud and throaty. 2 things I love about it, are that it sounds like an explosion everytime I start my car, and has a loud intoxicating idle. It is very loud around town, with my heads/cam and longtubes(w/cats). I was pulled over last weekend and almost had my car impounded for illegal mods. CA is so strict now, it's forcing me to go into stealth mode. Today, I put my car side by side with a car that had a 233/239 cam, longtubes(w/cats) and hooker muffler. I have a smaller cam then him, but my car was WAY louder! His car almost sounded like it wasn't turned on. It had a VERY quiet idle and did not get loud until over ~ 3500-4000 rpm. The hooker sounded pretty good at high rpm, and was stock-like quiet at idle and low rpm's. IMO the GMMG is by far the best sounding catback made for the LS1, but living in CA with all their CARB smog crap, it just isn't worth having a loud car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information