Black
    2001 Z28 M6 SS Clone

Help! Possible water pump failure on 01 z28 need help!

I have a 2001 Z28 LS1 M6 camaro that has around 130K miles on it. This morning as I am leaving for work at 6AM I start my car and hear a weird noise coming from wngine bay, I decided to ignore it and just go to work, I am driving about to get on the highway when my check gauges light came on, I look down and notice my engine temp is almost in the red, I immediately pull over and shut the car off. I let it cool using the electric fans back to 160ish. I checked coolant levels and noticed I was low, Went to the gas station and bought some coolant (dex cool approved) and added it in there. Car dropped down to a normal op temperature and I was able to make it to work going 100 or so on the highway running at a normal temp. I got to work and all was fine (I am a paramedic and work at a fire station) I had the mechan. come out to look at it and as soon as I started it and pospped the hood it started to get hot. There was antifreeze all over the engine. It was even on top of my manifold, looks like it is leaking on the belt and that is throwing it everywhere. I am guessing it is a Water Pump leak as I have checked hoses. I am trying to get a pressure tester and see what it is but I have a friend down here who will sell me the pump off his 02 WS6 for 30 bucks that he pulled off at 65K miles. Anyone have any other ideas as to what could be going on? Let me know please. Thanks.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Yep

Mine let go at 110 000miles it's an easy job and cheap enough I guess I think I paid $367 installed For 30 bucks it's really cheap get er done now You really don't want to drive it that way

Black
    2001 Z28 M6 SS Clone

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Mine let go at 110 000miles it's an easy job and cheap enough I guess I think I paid $367 installed
    I mean its 6 bolts no big deal I do all my own work so I can get out with buying my friends and installing myself in less than a hour, I just wanna know any other opinions on to if this is gonna be the reason for the antifreeze spray all over my car.

silver
    2000 formula

pep boys has a new bosch WP for around 100$......pull off the throttle body and you pull the pump straight up and off.....its not a hard job at all

Black
    2001 Z28 M6 SS Clone

I understand that. But is there any other opitions on what else or were I could be spraying antifreeze from?

Black
    2001 Z28 M6 SS Clone

I got that part, I understand how much and where to get but is this going to be the only thing that is causing my problem?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by driftr319 View Post
    I got that part, I understand how much and where to get but is this going to be the only thing that is causing my problem?
    If you don't have a bust hose or a failed seal somewhere.
    Most likely the waterpump.
    Quick way to check:
    Rinse the engine well with some water to remove the coolant mix and refill the radiator. Fire it up and watch for the leak.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

I agree

If you don't have a bad hose it's the pump garanted

Thread Information