Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Help me pick an exhaust setup.

This is a discussion on Help me pick an exhaust setup. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Vertibird54 I've listened to the videos and to be honest, I don't think the recording device is ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    I've listened to the videos and to be honest, I don't think the recording device is doing the tru system justice. Can you describe the sound it gives off at: Idle, Cruise, Low revs, WOT?

    idle, cruise, low revs - nice deep, no tinny, sound with virtually no interior resonance.

    WOT - again, interior noise is pretty decent. out the back, you'll know it's there.

  2. #22
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    There are a couple more sound clips here: http://www.ls1sounds.com/bassani.htm

    the prototype tru-dual system is my car.

  3. #23
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Sounds amazing even tho the recorder sucks. Any trouble with emissions on the stock manifolds and cats (I know your in FL thats why im asking anyone else who has the system)? Any chance that you know where I can find the install guide for the dual system? I want to see if this would be something be and my buddy with a lift can do.

  4. #24
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Sounds amazing even tho the recorder sucks. Any trouble with emissions on the stock manifolds and cats (I know your in FL thats why im asking anyone else who has the system)? Any chance that you know where I can find the install guide for the dual system? I want to see if this would be something be and my buddy with a lift can do.
    emissions will be affected slightly. a tune can fix that. the system comes with instructions. it took me 1.5 hours to install it on my car from start to finish.

  5. #25
    Member jag42420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    43
    Posts
    525

    Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    Took me about 2 hours and a few beers . I had no lift, just jack stands and ramps. Fit was great. No emissions in KY.

  6. #26
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    emissions will be affected slightly. a tune can fix that. the system comes with instructions. it took me 1.5 hours to install it on my car from start to finish.
    Im assuming by slightly you mean it won't be great but ill pass, right?

  7. #27
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    passing is up to your motor and cats. if the plugs are worn, o2, not reading correctly, bad plug wire, etc... then it will affect the emissions. the exhaust system itself, won't cause you to fail.

  8. #28
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    k good thats all i needed to know. thank you for being so helpful

  9. #29
    JUISSED Midnight02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    37
    Posts
    663

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    We have seen a big gain in power with Kooks over the Pacesetters. Yes the Kooks are more expensive but I must say the fittment and constuction is much better.I would look at the Kooks as being a investment. You could sell them used VERY quickly for good money. Don't get the BIG 1 7/8" primarys unless you are going to add a supercharger very soon. I've been in the speedshop industry for 8+ years now and I've learned with headers you get what you pay for.I'll spend a extra $350 to get great fitment. It a real bit_h when you get some that are poorly designed and hard to install and even harder to get to the spark plugs. And the worst is a poor quality flange that warps and gives you leaks.
    And on the X pipe or H pipe just make sure if you go with a X get a straight blow through style and NOT a chambered muffler. The H pipe design sounds MUCH better with a chamber syle muffler. For a quick example is the classic 5.0 sound with 2 Chamber Flowmasters. They have a stock H pipe. You put a X on them and the sound is night and day.
    I don't like resonatting at all!! That sh_t is like putting glasspacks on your car.All that popping is for the birds in my eyes.
    The Spintechs have a good sound that is not too agressive and the Hooker Aero's are also on the mild side for db level.

    Hope I helped. I would also recommend going to your local track and just listening to different F bodys and asking them what they have if you like the sound.Just remember if there motor is not stock compression plays a big role on exhaust volume and muffler tone.

    Not to hijack the thread or anything, however is there a system for the LS1 where you could use an h-pipe and a chambered muffler to get the classic 5.0 sound. Before you guys jump on top of me for saying that, I know that the LS1 is a bad mo-fo and will rip apart any stock or lightly modded N/A 5.0, however I absolutely LOVE the sound of a 5.0 with an offroad H-pipe and 2-chamber flowmasters. Anyone know how to get a similar sound from our exhaust?

  10. #30
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, however is there a system for the LS1 where you could use an h-pipe and a chambered muffler to get the classic 5.0 sound. Before you guys jump on top of me for saying that, I know that the LS1 is a bad mo-fo and will rip apart any stock or lightly modded N/A 5.0, however I absolutely LOVE the sound of a 5.0 with an offroad H-pipe and 2-chamber flowmasters. Anyone know how to get a similar sound from our exhaust?
    Honestly I've only heard one ever and it was some Hooker headers into a Flowmaster Y pipe into 3" split into another Flowmaster universal Y split into to 2 2 1/2" pipes going into 2 OLD ORIGINAL FlaoMaster. and ending with a short pair of tail pipes with NO goofy ass tips..... They help generate resonating which in my view is gay and you might as well put some glasspack on and get all the popping you can.....
    The key is to keep your eye out on Ebay or spread the word your looking for some Old Scholl FlowMasters. They redesigned them "To make more power" and lost half of the (what we used to call "TINGY") sound that made FlowMaster what it is today.
    I have two pairs that I'll NEVER part with. Sorry but I'll take a 8-15 horsepower loss to have that AWSOME sound everbody feel in love with.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  11. #31
    Member jag42420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    43
    Posts
    525

    Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, however is there a system for the LS1 where you could use an h-pipe and a chambered muffler to get the classic 5.0 sound. Before you guys jump on top of me for saying that, I know that the LS1 is a bad mo-fo and will rip apart any stock or lightly modded N/A 5.0, however I absolutely LOVE the sound of a 5.0 with an offroad H-pipe and 2-chamber flowmasters. Anyone know how to get a similar sound from our exhaust?
    I assume you're talking Mustang 5.0, not Chevy 305 5.0. The sound is different because the firing order and head designs are different. What sounds good on one doesn't always sound as good on another.

    Everyone has their own opinions about what sounds best. I'm a true duals person. Not that I have anything against y-pipe setups, they can make decent power too, and they can sound pretty good. Y-pipe setups just don't make the power of true duals, and the tone is different.

    If you like the old 5.0 sound, you'd probably love the sound of my true duals on my SS Monte Carlo. It has the old style Hooker Headers with 2.5" straight pipes out the back and the old school Flowmasters with slash tips. Classic sound. I used Bassani true duals on my WS6 and although it's a similar setup to the SS exhaust, the heads, engine displacement, and cam variances make them as different as night and day. I love them both.

  12. #32
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    I assume you're talking Mustang 5.0, not Chevy 305 5.0. The sound is different because the firing order and head designs are different. What sounds good on one doesn't always sound as good on another.

    Everyone has their own opinions about what sounds best. I'm a true duals person. Not that I have anything against y-pipe setups, they can make decent power too, and they can sound pretty good. Y-pipe setups just don't make the power of true duals, and the tone is different.

    If you like the old 5.0 sound, you'd probably love the sound of my true duals on my SS Monte Carlo. It has the old style Hooker Headers with 2.5" straight pipes out the back and the old school Flowmasters with slash tips. Classic sound. I used Bassani true duals on my WS6 and although it's a similar setup to the SS exhaust, the heads, engine displacement, and cam variances make them as different as night and day. I love them both.

    True dual sound is WAY DIFFERENT THAN ANY DUAL SYSTEM WITH ANY X OR H PIPE!!!
    It takes away from the old school drummer effect!!
    But just because of the firing order doesn't mean you can't see the same sound at RPM!!
    Idle yes I can see but they are just referring to the classic tingy pop an sound ALL the 5.0 Mustang had........ A 5.0 H.O. Camareo come on now it had a 185hp at the flywheel!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Exhaust setup 99 ws6
    By Mcmacsten in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 04:40 PM
  2. New Exhaust Setup!!
    By Benner in forum External Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 12:07 PM
  3. New exhaust setup
    By buswwa in forum External Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 09:05 AM
  4. exhaust setup
    By Svt killa in forum V6
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
  5. How will I like this Exhaust Setup????
    By 79Cutlass in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •