Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Help me pick an exhaust setup.

I'm looking to upgrade my whole exhaust setup in the next few months, I'm talking headers, xpipes, mufflers, and tips. I want it to sound mean at full throttle but be docile enough at idle to be able to carry on a conversation. I don't want to dump at the axle or anything like that, just a good old fashioned exhaust system. I'm not sure whether to go with 2.5" or 3", I still need as much clearance as possible (I live in BFE and see dirt roads quite often). I've heard the Pacesetter Long headers are good, but I'm not sure where to go to get all these parts and where to go to get the work done. Any help is appreciated. And if any of my fellow Coloradoans can point me in the right direction that would be great, I live near Aurora/Denver.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i use the dynatech headers and bassani tru-duals. goes all the way out the back.

http://www.stealthram.com/2000pontiacformula.html
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

98T/Aformula
    I would also post this in the rockie mountian section im sure there are plenty of ppl here who can point you in the right direction of where to get your exhaust done, I go to a guy in Golden to a place called Mountian Muffler the guys name is Steve if you want his number just PM me but idk how far you want to drive...Just let me know.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I second Bassani true duals. Best purchase I've made so far. Excellent gains and sound, without the interior resonance. I added Pacesetter LTs about a week after the Bassanis. Did not get the gains I expected from the headers. Hopefully the gains are there and I just need to get them tuned in...

Red

I've actually been looking at the Bassani's since you guys suggested them. They are expensive, but I think they might be worth the $1500. Thanks for all the help guys, now to post in the rocky mountain forum to see who can work on them.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

$1500.00 for the bassani?? where did you get that price? vinci sells it for $949.00 in stainless steel and $779.00 for aluminized.

http://vincihighperformance.com/fbod...t.html#EXHAUST

Red

Well I was figuring in the $600 headers also.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

http://ls1sounds.com/gmmg.htm click on the first one
    How do u not like the way that sounds. I dont know wuts the LSA, but throw in a 112 or 111LSA and

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my whole exhaust setup in the next few months, I'm talking headers, xpipes, mufflers, and tips. I want it to sound mean at full throttle but be docile enough at idle to be able to carry on a conversation. I don't want to dump at the axle or anything like that, just a good old fashioned exhaust system. I'm not sure whether to go with 2.5" or 3", I still need as much clearance as possible (I live in BFE and see dirt roads quite often). I've heard the Pacesetter Long headers are good, but I'm not sure where to go to get all these parts and where to go to get the work done. Any help is appreciated. And if any of my fellow Coloradoans can point me in the right direction that would be great, I live near Aurora/Denver.
    If you only have minor mods I would stay with the 2.5" for sure!! It will give you a much better power curve. The 3" you'll loose much of the bottom end torque curve which is where the drivability is at.
    Is cost a big issue...... cause it will make a BIG difference in my recommended syaytem.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Red

Cost is somewhat of an issue, but I'm willing to wait and save up for a nice set if its going to last longer than a cheap one.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

You might try local exhaust shops. There weren't any around me that could do catback duals over axle. They all wanted to go under axle, telling me there was plenty of clearance. I've seen posts where people had them done for about $400. A true duals setup will definitely make more power though. I like the Bassani because it's mandrell bent, less restrictive.

Red

Yeah, I've been looking at the Bassani's, but I don't really know what they mean by "aluminized". The aluminized are $780 and the stainless are $950, would it better to spend more and get the stainless? If I went that route I would probably go ahead and get the bassani headers also, as long as they would fit correctly with the exhaust (I don't see any reason why they wouldn't). But thats $1650, not counting shipping, thats a little more than I wanted to spend, but if it's worth it I might try to save up and go for it. Anyone know of a different set that's similar but cheaper?

And thanks for all the help so far.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I searched everywhere and couldn't beat the Bassanis on price. I got the $779 kit. Stainless is nice looking and will last longer, but the aluminized should last 10 years or better. You can always go exhaust first and add headers later. That's what I intended to do, but added the headers a week later anyway. The Bassani made a lot bigger difference than the headers did. The stock manifolds flow pretty well.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

We have seen a big gain in power with Kooks over the Pacesetters. Yes the Kooks are more expensive but I must say the fittment and constuction is much better.I would look at the Kooks as being a investment. You could sell them used VERY quickly for good money. Don't get the BIG 1 7/8" primarys unless you are going to add a supercharger very soon. I've been in the speedshop industry for 8+ years now and I've learned with headers you get what you pay for.I'll spend a extra $350 to get great fitment. It a real bit_h when you get some that are poorly designed and hard to install and even harder to get to the spark plugs. And the worst is a poor quality flange that warps and gives you leaks.
    And on the X pipe or H pipe just make sure if you go with a X get a straight blow through style and NOT a chambered muffler. The H pipe design sounds MUCH better with a chamber syle muffler. For a quick example is the classic 5.0 sound with 2 Chamber Flowmasters. They have a stock H pipe. You put a X on them and the sound is night and day.
    I don't like resonatting at all!! That sh_t is like putting glasspacks on your car.All that popping is for the birds in my eyes.
    The Spintechs have a good sound that is not too agressive and the Hooker Aero's are also on the mild side for db level.

Hope I helped. I would also recommend going to your local track and just listening to different F bodys and asking them what they have if you like the sound.Just remember if there motor is not stock compression plays a big role on exhaust volume and muffler tone.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post
    Yeah, I've been looking at the Bassani's, but I don't really know what they mean by "aluminized". The aluminized are $780 and the stainless are $950, would it better to spend more and get the stainless? If I went that route I would probably go ahead and get the bassani headers also, as long as they would fit correctly with the exhaust (I don't see any reason why they wouldn't).
    instead of using T439 stainless steel, they use mild steel pipe and put an aluminum type of coating. i have the bassani headers, metallicats, and tru-duals on the wife's car.

http://www.stealthram.com/1999pontiacformula.html

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 camaro Z28

i have the slp loudmouth and i like the way it looks and sounds

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

About the Bassani TruDual after cat system, whats the difference in sound with it and the regular street competition version? I want that mean Muscular growl and just curious if spending almost $1000 for an after cat system is worth it.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the street competition is a single 3" catback. the tru-dual is a dual 2.5" system. sound, i couldn't tell you, as i haven't heard the street competition.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I've listened to the videos and to be honest, I don't think the recording device is doing the tru system justice. Can you describe the sound it gives off at: Idle, Cruise, Low revs, WOT?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

There are a couple more sound clips here: http://www.ls1sounds.com/bassani.htm

Thread Information