Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help with bolt ons

This is a discussion on Help with bolt ons within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; RedLS1 there is a group of guys that regular get together in your area as well if you haven't already ...

2002 WS6 TranAm

RedLS1 there is a group of guys that regular get together in your area as well if you haven't already found them. I have an office in Lexington off 378 that I'm in once or twice a week. Check out scfbaonlilne.com.

red
    2002 camaro ss

hey would porting the stock heads be better cost wise instead of buying brand new ones? could i still get to my 420/390 with that?

Red

Maybe. Depends on the cam you are planning to run, and who does the porting. Be careful with the 241's. A silly question, but what brand of dyno are you planning to hit? That 420 will be hard to hit with stock heads and a mild cam...
    We chose teh VRX3 (226/228 581) with milled and ported 243's (59cc chamber) and got 350/325 on a Mustang dyno. I think you are going to have to go way wilder on the cam, and accept a bit more noise to hit your goal.

Red

Oh, and a lot of people going to the higher compresion of the stock 5.3L heads on their swaps and saving a ton of money.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

you can still go a higher C/R on Ls6 ported heads and and produce more power than 5.3L heads. people dont seem to understand this to be true as well. either get them milled down or in most cases you can order them with a lower 'cc' size that bumps up the C/R.

so for the money spent, go ls6 heads with a small 'cc' size, than 5.3L heads. results speak for themselves...

Red

I do realize. I have ported 243's (LS6 heads) that have been milled to 59cc. He asked about using his stock 241's and having them ported to save money. I mentioned that a set of stock 5.3L heads would give him a cheap bump in compresion.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Oh, haha...I missed that post, my bad...

I have the stock heads with upgraded valvetrain saved incase I decide to pull the heads I have on, off. I think spending the money to redo the stocks heads isn't worth it. Plus if something happens you have a spare set to fall back on

red
    2002 camaro ss

oh ok that makes sense yea the ls6 heads sound better bc ur right if something does go wrong i have a backup. that seems to be the smartest thing to do i will look into those a lot more now. well ive been tryin to find a dyno around here thats not a mustang dyno... im really just tryin to do my research first and get a set list of solid parts before i begin modding. i don't want to spend any more money than i have to in the long run. thanks for the help il come back if i have any more questions.(which i probly will haha)

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by redLss1 View Post
    Hey guys I'm brand new to the Ls1 world and was just wondering what are some of the best bolt ons to do first? I'm looking to start off with the basic bolt ons then work my way up. I just bought my 2002 camaro ss the other day and it is the slp version...any advice would help out alot. I need help! haha
    ZEX Wet Nitrous
    Best bang for the buck
    $550 for 75-175 HP shot
    do your research and it is possible to run it safely
    include a window switch, fuel pressure switch and retard timing according to power boost.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Bolt on a supercharger

Red

Quote Originally Posted by redLss1 View Post
    well ive been tryin to find a dyno around here thats not a mustang dyno...
    Why? You have a problem with real numbers? A loaded dyno may not give you hero numbers, but it will give you realistic numbers. Once you find a dyno to use, keep using the same one, after all, the percent difference is more important than a peak number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information