BlackTA00

headers with x-pipe or y-pipe?

i originally wanted to get headers with a true dual setup and have the exhaust exit from the rear, but i realized that this can get quite expensive and complicated. So, i was thinking of just using a y pipe with my headers so that i can have the exhaust exit from the rear. How much of a hp difference is there by using a y-pipe instead of an x-pipe? thanks

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Depends on the size of piping you use. You can fit a 4" single exhaust under an F-body, and it'll flow as well as dual 3". Folks on here will tell you to steer clear of that, though, because it reduces exhaust velocity and backpressure, killing your low-end torque. I say bull$#!t though, because I managed to get almost 600 hp to the wheels of a T/A with a 4" single pipe. Low-end torque loss wasn't even an issue. Now, are you gonna need that big a single? Not unless you're looking to hit 10s sometime soon.

Far as duals go, yes it's complicated if youre running over the axle, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Just pool all your resources... can you weld? Got a friend who can? Do you have the time to do it yourself? Got a place/tools to do it at/with? Stuff like that, bro. With that in mind, I'm currently gathering parts for an "OEM" dual exhaust... basically taking another stock single pipe(or I-pipe, as some folks on here call it), routing it beside the stock pipe already on the car, over the axle and into a GMMG-type muffler configuration. I'll cut the Y-pipe upstream of where it comes together and install an H-pipe that I made(for $12), and tie the H-pipe into the two I-pipes.

Sounds like a bowl of Alpha Bits, don't it?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

a ddual system will make more power under the curve compared to a catback.
    its not that big of a difference.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

delinquent543
    duals sound a lot nicer...y not get something pre-fabricated like the true duals from texas speed, leave it so that it dumps before the axle. then wait until you have the money and go to a muffler shop and have them make something for you so it exits from the back

Thread Information