Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Headers: To wrap or not to wrap...

This is a discussion on Headers: To wrap or not to wrap... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Back in the day when headers were cast iron/steel (untreated) folks knew about the advantages of 1) reducing under hood ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Back in the day when headers were cast iron/steel (untreated) folks knew about the advantages of 1) reducing under hood temps ie. cooler engine b) heated exhaust gases scavenged exhaust gases from the chamber much quicker thus allowing more fuel on the intake stroke to enter the chamber thus allowing more horsepower c) better exhaust flow
    So we all wrapped our headers with asbestos ( yes we ate paint chips and red M&M's also.)......the cast iron and steel headers would rust fairly quickly......
    So fast forward 30 years and we have stainless headers and folks still keep the myth alive of rusting headers.....just aint so...stainless don't rust....wrapped/coated or nothing. The Goat has had the same set of Stainless Works headers for over 3 years now....The new Silverado has wrapped JBA Shorties......no issues at all....

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Back in the day when headers were cast iron/steel (untreated) folks knew about the advantages of 1) reducing under hood temps ie. cooler engine b) heated exhaust gases scavenged exhaust gases from the chamber much quicker thus allowing more fuel on the intake stroke to enter the chamber thus allowing more horsepower c) better exhaust flow
    So we all wrapped our headers with asbestos ( yes we ate paint chips and red M&M's also.)......the cast iron and steel headers would rust fairly quickly......
    So fast forward 30 years and we have stainless headers and folks still keep the myth alive of rusting headers.....just aint so...stainless don't rust....wrapped/coated or nothing. The Goat has had the same set of Stainless Works headers for over 3 years now....The new Silverado has wrapped JBA Shorties......no issues at all....
    Click for full size

always gives me a semi loookin under sarges hood

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    post your dyno sheet when you get it, im interested to know what you end up at too. do you have anything else done to your car?
    here it is.I'm a little disappointed about the total gains for the amount of money spent.
    Last edited by crazy dave ls1; 11-25-2008 at 05:36 AM.

pewter

what were the before and after mods to that dyno run?
    looks VERY good for just headers

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

that looks pretty good. 327 isnt bad coming from 305. what have you done to the exhaust (catback)? if you do true duels or good catback you may gain another 10-15.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    that looks pretty good. 327 isnt bad coming from 305. what have you done to the exhaust (catback)? if you do true duels or good catback you may gain another 10-15.
    327 from 305??? whered u read that....lol.....says 327 rwhp vs 295 rwhp before hand

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    what were the before and after mods to that dyno run?
    looks VERY good for just headers
    before was bone stock after was kooks headers,cat delete,4" mufflex exhaust,160 tstat,K&N filter,tune.What other bolt ons should I do?
    Last edited by crazy dave ls1; 11-25-2008 at 06:32 PM.

blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

are you having any problems with the pacesetters leking between the header and the y pipe with the band clamps?? i cant get mine to quit leaking.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

i don't have my headers yet...and im going to make my own true duals setup this winter. so hopefully nothing will leak when im done

blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

they dont have collectors, pipe slips over the end of the header probally for ground clearance, but i cant get those band clamps to quit leaking and its right behind the front 02,s thunder racing told me not to bring my car and waist my time or theirs because the cant tune it with leaks there. maby youll have better luck than me..

Silver
    2004 Pontiac GTO/Monaro

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    before was bone stock after was kooks headers,cat delete,4" mufflex exhaust,160 tstat,K&N filter,tune.What other bolt ons should I do?
    I thought 30+/- RWHP was expected out of a set of long-tubes (it's just about what I got - different car, same engine). I'd say the others you have are "supporting", and maybe good for only a couple out of the 32 HP you got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information