pewter
    99 Trans Am

Is headers tune and gears worth the money.

I have plans to install pacesetter headers, get a custom tune and get 373 gears.Is the Hp gain from the headers and the tune worth the $1000 dallors I'll be out of? I don't go to the track, but that don't mean that I want from time to time just for the fun of going. I don't plan on doing anything else to the car but these three things.I also here alot about banging of the Ypipe under the floor board of the cars that gets headers,I don't need that headace,my car runs great no rattles or banging,so is this something I"ll have to deal with after header install? and will the rear hold if no slicks is used ? The car is almost stock .I have a lid.Ws6 air box,lower control arms.Strut tower brace,k&n air filter,A Ws6 hood, and all the free mods.What do you think about the money for the HP I'll gain.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 02-10-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

is your car an auto?
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

My pacesetter Y-Pipe used to bang the shit outa the floorboard under my feet. I jammed some heater hose between the pipe and the floor and haven't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Selride View Post
    My pacesetter Y-Pipe used to bang the shit outa the floorboard under my feet. I jammed some heater hose between the pipe and the floor and haven't had a problem since.
    And that isn't melting or stinking at all?? Sounds like a fire hazzard or at the very least a very temporary fix.

I had to cut and reweld the driver side Y-pipe for clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have plans to install pacesetter headers, get a custom tune and get 373 gears.Is the Hp gain from the headers and the tune worth the $1000 dallors I'll be out of? I don't go to the track, but that don't mean that I want from time to time just for the fun of going. I don't plan on doing anything else to the car but these three things.I also here alot about banging of the Ypipe under the floor board of the cars that gets headers,I don't need that headace,my car runs great no rattles or banging,so is this something I"ll have to deal with after header install? and will the rear hold if no slicks is used ? The car is almost stock .I have a lid.Ws6 air box,lower control arms.Strut tower brace,k&n air filter,A Ws6 hood, and all the free mods.What do you think about the money for the HP I'll gain.
    If thats all you have planned I would go through with it personally. I benefitted temendously from just a tune on a bone stock car. Then later did headers and a stall. I'm happy with the car but have more plans later.

As for the header/y-pipe issue. Some people install Pacesetter stuff and have no problems. It's just one of those things you may or may not have to deal with. I installed the Pacesetter setup on both of our 4th gens and had to cut and reweld both Y-pipes on both cars to get the added floor clearance I wanted. After that they have been trouble free.

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And that isn't melting or stinking at all?? Sounds like a fire hazzard or at the very least a very temporary fix.
    I forgot to mention I wrapped the hose in header tape too. But yeah, it's been on the car for over a year now, with multiple 6 hour highway drives up and down Florida..

Thread Information