Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Arrow Headers,ORY,MotorMounts,Plugs,Wires install tips

Ok in the morning I am starting the install of all these mods. Ive done reserch on the installs but it would be sweet if you guys left tips about the problems and salutions you came up against while installing your Headers, ORY, Motor Mounts, Plugs, or Wires any help would be awesome. I will be posting problems I had. I know that the mounts are going to be a bear to get in but Ive read a bunch of good tips on that install. So any help??? Thanks alot Guys

On another note is there anything else that I should go ahead and nock out while im dug in. I mean anything from another bolt on that would compliment these all the way to something that should be painted while im in there. Im going to document all these mods including any that you guys think is a good idea and also take pics and vids. This is the start of my build my car is pretty much stock other than some suspention mods, 160 Thermo, And the free mods.

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by jsremmos View Post
    Ok in the morning I am starting the install of all these mods. Ive done reserch on the installs but it would be sweet if you guys left tips about the problems and salutions you came up against while installing your Headers, ORY, Motor Mounts, Plugs, or Wires any help would be awesome. I will be posting problems I had. I know that the mounts are going to be a bear to get in but Ive read a bunch of good tips on that install. So any help??? Thanks alot Guys

On another note is there anything else that I should go ahead and nock out while im dug in. I mean anything from another bolt on that would compliment these all the way to something that should be painted while im in there. Im going to document all these mods including any that you guys think is a good idea and also take pics and vids. This is the start of my build my car is pretty much stock other than some suspention mods, 160 Thermo, And the free mods.
    If you could wait a few more days I would driver over and help

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Which headers? Why motor mounts?

General:
    Be sure that the wires have heat shields and that they click on firmly.
    Use the GM header gasket - they are the best.
    Take your time getting the bolts started - do not cross thread
    Do not overtighten the header bolts - the stock bolts are just fine and I have not heard of any instances of them backing out.
    If you have a set of old or bad 02 sensors run those in the headers for start up - the oil from the manufacturing process will often ruin sensors
    You will need 02 simulators for the rear or tune them out
    make sure you have 02 extensions
    Remove the coil packs - it will make the whole job easier
    The last bolt on the pass side coil pack is a bear - be prepared to be patient (and don't put it back)
    Put a little anti sieze on the plug threads and don't overtighten them either.
    You will need plenty of clearance if not using a lift - Jack it up has high as possible.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Top it off with a mail order calibration. It will get you some real HP, let you take advantage of the cooler stat, get rid of your SES light, and more. It's a lot of bang for your buck at $125 + S/H.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

I planned on it frost.... Do I need to Send in my computer or how does it work.

Im installing longtubes and a Y pipe from texas speed... im only going to use it for about a month and then im selling it... Im going to start fabricating my true duals.

Supercopone that would be awesome... I delayed my build till tomorrow morning because I wanted to make shure I had all the info I could get.. Thanks everyone. Im putting it up on jacks as we speak

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

just let me know

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by supercopone View Post
    just let me know
    I really appreciate it bro I just cant ask ya to drive five hours to help me with a easy install.. Thats pretty awesome of ya to offer something like that... If you know how to do heads and cam I will def be calling on ya for that I think im going to ned some help with that. I should be starting that within the next month also, I just cant figure out which package to go with I know I want some serious gains from It and dont care much about drivability. Anyway THANKS AGAIN BRO

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post

General:
    Do not overtighten the header bolts - the stock bolts are just fine and I have not heard of any instances of them backing out.
    If you have a set of old or bad 02 sensors run those in the headers for start up - the oil from the manufacturing process will often ruin sensors
    The last bolt on the pass side coil pack is a bear - be prepared to be patient (and don't put it back)
    You will need plenty of clearance if not using a lift - Jack it up has high as possible.

I never thought of the oil burning off good piont man.... I have stainless headers that have no oil on them and i have cleand them with parts cleaner. Thats a good point. The lift just broke I could of But i dont have time to screw with it I want to get my headers in so I have 16 1/2 inch jack stands so thats what I got to work with this time

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Man that sucked. I hate jacking up my car it poppin and a swayin all the way up... and I could only get 13 inches out of it.. This is going to be fun

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

motor mounts, hah, i spent hours and hours on mine. Take the O2 sensors off. You can't get those mount stands out if you don't, . I tried playing tetris for hours on mine before i said screw it, the O2s have to some out. Be prepared for a fight on the bolts too. The mount bolts on my block sucked. I was lubing them constantly to get them to break free. Make sure you have a secure way to hoist/hold your engine. I was doing one side at a time and noticed the Prothane mounts were not 100% at the same height as the GM mounts. This meant I needed both mounts in before I could bolt back to the K-member. Just that every so little tiny bit off in height meant you couldn't do one at a time. I ended up fowling the k-member holes and had to take it into a shop, oops. In the end the mounts were fine, never had a single problem. i miss them even though i spent my whole life getting them installed, lol...all my fault though. if i had to do it all over again, i would.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Oh shit that sucks... I am still working on getting the manifolds removed, There was nothing I could do to get the cats off the %#&*@& bolts are all galled up. I tried everything and it took me forever. I only have the drivers side out so far. In the morning I have to start on the passenger side and im not looking forward to it. I have to take alot of stuff off. I hope i dont have to take the compresser off but its def a tight fit. But thank god for my set of neumatics I think my arms would have broken off and I am not even half way Gotta give GM props for this even being possible in such a tight spot

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Oh shit that sucks... I am still working on getting the manifolds removed, There was nothing I could do to get the cats off the %#&*@& bolts are all galled up. I tried everything and it took me forever. I only have the drivers side out so far. In the morning I have to start on the passenger side and im not looking forward to it. I have to take alot of stuff off. I hope i dont have to take the compresser off but its def a tight fit. But thank god for my set of neumatics I think my arms would have broken off and I am not even half way Gotta give GM props for this even being possible in such a tight spot
    Sawzall works great at getting the CATS off, took 2 min for both sides

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

I broke the last bolt under the dash on the passenger side off in the head. Son of a bitch I cant believe this freakin happend!!!!!! I dont know what im going to do. I could pull it and have it machined or I could weld a rod on the bolt and try and twist it out but that doesnt always work or I could just upgrade my heads and get a cam. I dont want to drop the money on new heads. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!. I think it will leak but what do you guys think I just want to run it through the winter and then fix it. Is there any thing you can think of to do

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You have to get it out; you can't bolt up the headers missing a piece of hardware. The air leak will cause big problems. It will fool your O2 on that side into thinking that that side of the engine is lean and cause heavy overfueling on that side of the engine.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You have to get it out; you can't bolt up the headers missing a piece of hardware. The air leak will cause big problems. It will fool your O2 on that side into thinking that that side of the engine is lean and cause heavy overfueling on that side of the engine.
    Holy #%^ That sounds bad LOL... Thanks frost! Well there is a small piece of the bolt sticking out just enough ( I HOPE ) to get my tig torch in there and weld a small rod on it with a nut on the end of it.. Ive had to do it a million times in my line of work. The cool thing is the damn bolt is broke off in aluminum which melts at a lot higher temp so as Im puting a small bead on the bolt it wont melt the aluminum. Ill be using dc to do the welding and alum is welded with ac 8... If it dosnt work Im going to have to pull the head and grind the alum back a little to get a better penatrating weld... Thanks for the info frost right after i posted that I thought about it and my headers are stainless, and believe me I know stainless warps really bad and the first heat cycle I put them trough the plate would peal back like old paint so needless to say that went out the window. Two day install just became a horror story! could have been worse I guess

Red
    98 Trans Am

that sux, i hope i dont have that problem. im about to get my first pair of headers, (still trying to pick one though so it could take longer) and im researching on how to do it myself. Man i hope i dont get a bolt broke into my head. I think id cry. I had a guy bring a head into the shop i work at and he had his head with a bolt stuck in it. its been 3 months now and the heads still sitting at the shop. I think hes scared to touch it.
    Turbo build 99.9% complete

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

LOL its pretty easy if you have the head out there are alot of different ways to get it out... easyouts work and plug welding a nut on the end works great and you can use a mig which anyone can run a weld with. If it broke of down in the head its either a easyout or get it machined out cause drilling through hardend bolts sucks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post

General:
    Real good advice^

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Real good advice^
    +1... It helped me alot

Thread Information