Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Headers & ORY Installed

This is a discussion on Headers & ORY Installed within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by donman Shady, I am hoping mine sounds just like you described. I was happy with the sound ...

  1. #21
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by donman View Post
    Shady,

    I am hoping mine sounds just like you described. I was happy with the sound of the stock exhaust and magnaflow catback. It could be a tad bit louder at idle, but I have no problem with that.

    I went the header and ORY pipe now for future upgrades. I have a cam install in the future...already have the cam and some of the other parts...just need to build back up the funds :-)

    Thanks for the info

    Don
    im sure it will sound awesome with the cam....i too am happy with the sound..pre headers and post headers..just cant wait for cam and heads

  2. #22
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Anyone on here had Magnaflow and Flowmaster Mufflers in the past? Which one gives the less raspy sound? I am not concerned about building a track car just want a car that has a great low growl, not concerned with having the loudest exhaust. I want it to sound like a tight rolling sound. I have posted questions about my potential exhaust upgrades before and decided on one of these two for muffler. Just never asked if anyone had a preference that had used both in the past.

    Thanks.

  3. #23
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Anyone on here had Magnaflow and Flowmaster Mufflers in the past? Which one gives the less raspy sound? I am not concerned about building a track car just want a car that has a great low growl, not concerned with having the loudest exhaust. I want it to sound like a tight rolling sound. I have posted questions about my potential exhaust upgrades before and decided on one of these two for muffler. Just never asked if anyone had a preference that had used both in the past.

    Thanks.
    Peoples preferences differ just like if you asked what's your favorite color. You'll really have to decide what sound you like for yourself. You can go to LS1sounds.com or go out to a local car meet and listen to what people have. Most are happy with magnaflow and say no to flowmaster, but everybody I know who has flowmaster loves the sound. endrant.

  4. #24
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Anyone on here had Magnaflow and Flowmaster Mufflers in the past? Which one gives the less raspy sound? I am not concerned about building a track car just want a car that has a great low growl, not concerned with having the loudest exhaust. I want it to sound like a tight rolling sound. I have posted questions about my potential exhaust upgrades before and decided on one of these two for muffler. Just never asked if anyone had a preference that had used both in the past.

    Thanks.

    Never had Flowmaster on anything I have owned so I really can not compare. I posted before and after vids of my Magnaflow catback in this thread: Catback install with pics and vid

  5. #25
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Thank you. I know it's all based on personal preference. I was just curious if anyone on here had used both flowmaster and magnoflow in the past and if one tended to sound smoother. Like I said, don't care to be the loudest. Obviously I want to make a little noise but care more that its a low rolling sound of noise (hate to say it but almost like alot of Mustangs GTs sound, I know this is blasphemy on this website haha) rather than a raspy slappy sound.

    That being said I do appreciate the feedback about people saying they have liked magnoflow better. I think I may be one of the people though who just loves the flowmaster sound. My cousin had it on his 96 LT1 with headers, duals, and H-pipe and I absolutely loved it. Maybe that's my answer huh?

  6. #26
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Thanks for the clip pajeff02. Sounds good!

  7. #27
    Member RedSmokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA (sacramento)
    Posts
    226

    Black
    F250

    What Y did you use and where did you get it? I found a set of used Pacesetter LT that im thinking of picking up. And where is the write up you used?

  8. #28
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
    What Y did you use and where did you get it? I found a set of used Pacesetter LT that im thinking of picking up. And where is the write up you used?

    It's in the stickies above, but here is a direct link:

    Header Install

    I have Texas Speed & Performance ORY. I got the Pacesetter Ceramic Coatted LT Headers with NO EGR and TSP ORY combo with extensions and new GM Performance Gaskets. Shipped $585.86 (Thats everything, cost, taxes, 2 day ground shipping)


    01BlackWS6

    Here's what Pacesetter LT with 3" ORY and Flowmasters sound like without a tune.

    http://www.fquick.com/videos/Headers..._pre_tune/8969

    As for sound goes when I cruise it has a low rumble. Just enough to know it's not stock. When I get up to the 3000 rpm range it starts to sound off. In the video I only went up to 4500 rpm. I haven't done a full WOT, not until I get a tune.

  9. #29
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Do you have a tune? Sounded like you may have had a leak somewhere from the raspy sound on the way down

  10. #30
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Whoops, I see now you said this is pre-tune. Does tune increase or decrease sound? Smooth it out or make it more of a "cammy" sound?

  11. #31
    Senior Member Ramairgod84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    peoria, az
    Posts
    1,017

    Black
    2001 WS6

    I just did my headers too, and used the write up from this site and what a help it was. When I started, my garage looked like a surgical room because everything was so organized (tools, parts). Now it looks like an atom bomb went off lol. Another thing, I put on hooker 1 3/4 headers. They sent me bolts that were shorter and wider, so I had to re use my stock bolts with lock washers. weird. Still waiting on the y pipe from hooker too....they said the y wouldnt ship out till oct 15th..wtf

  12. #32
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Whoops, I see now you said this is pre-tune. Does tune increase or decrease sound? Smooth it out or make it more of a "cammy" sound?
    I went back after a couple of runs down the street. I found one leak at the coupling that conects the Y pipe to the muffler tubing. I tighten it up no more leaks. Not sure if after a tune will it increase or decrease the rasp sound. I know that at idol my caris running rich and at WOT it is running a little lean. I was told to expect this. A tune will fix it. I think it has something to do with the removal of the rear O2 sensors. I'll ask Frost when I send him my computer.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    I just did my headers too, and used the write up from this site and what a help it was. When I started, my garage looked like a surgical room because everything was so organized (tools, parts). Now it looks like an atom bomb went off lol. Another thing, I put on hooker 1 3/4 headers. They sent me bolts that were shorter and wider, so I had to re use my stock bolts with lock washers. weird. Still waiting on the y pipe from hooker too....they said the y wouldnt ship out till oct 15th..wtf

    I know how you feel, took a day to clean up my garage to. It sucks to have to wait on something you want real bad. I had to wait a week for my Y pipe. But the just held my order so they could send everything at once.

  13. #33
    Junior Member donman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    91

    Yellow
    2002 CETA

    I had to wait almost 3 weeks for headers and Y-pipe. They must be a popular at right now.

    My garage is a mess to.. Thing that sucks is I finished my motor mounts Tuesday evening (yes they were a bitch). So I was all ready for the header install last night and yesterday morning I hurt my freaking back..So my car is on jack stands waiting for my back to not hurt as much for me to finish the job..

    I took a look at the bolts I received with my pacesetters and if I line up washer to washer, the bolts I got with the pace setters are actually shorter, not longer than the stock bolts. They are not tapered like the stock bolts, I wonder if that is what the issue is.

    Once I can get the headers in I will see if mine will tighten up..

    Don

  14. #34
    Senior Member Ramairgod84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    peoria, az
    Posts
    1,017

    Black
    2001 WS6

    I can understand bolts being shorter, because the headers are thinner where they mount, but they should be the size. I went to checker and got some..m8X1.25 i believe they were, and used a few of them..worked fine. And the y pipe.I've been waiting for since july.............

  15. #35
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Ok, thanks for the feedback, SMWS6TA.

    Have you ever ran true duals with a H pipe? Just curious if you had a preference when compared to the Y set up.
    Last edited by SactownHuskers; 09-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.

  16. #36
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the feedback, SMWS6TA.

    Have you ever ran true duals with a H pipe? Just curious if you had a preference when compared to the Y set up.


    I have not run a H-pipe set up.

    The only other vehicle I had headers on was an 84' Chevy Custom Deluxe Pick Up. With that I had true duals. One pipe from header to muffler to tail. No X or H pipe. Was one mean SOB.


    X-pipe IMO are for track. Not sure just what was told one time to me. I haven't run on a track with a car, just bikes so no idea. Some of the others on here might be able to answer that.

  17. #37
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Ok, what did your ORY run you pricewise?

    I'm considering doing my exhaust in two portions. Maybe starting with muffler and then working to the headers and exhaust back. I don't want to make a wholesale change and be unhappy after i'm done. Do you see any problems with doing it in two parts? Only thing I can think of is maybe the stock tubing being smaller than after-market and having to use adapters to fit the tubing into the muffler.

  18. #38
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Ok, what did your ORY run you pricewise?

    I'm considering doing my exhaust in two portions. Maybe starting with muffler and then working to the headers and exhaust back. I don't want to make a wholesale change and be unhappy after i'm done. Do you see any problems with doing it in two parts? Only thing I can think of is maybe the stock tubing being smaller than after-market and having to use adapters to fit the tubing into the muffler.
    I got mine as a combo from Texas Speed & Performance. I would recommend that. I talked with the guys and I know that the headers and ORY fit with no
    problems

  19. #39
    Member RedSmokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA (sacramento)
    Posts
    226

    Black
    F250

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I got mine as a combo from Texas Speed & Performance. I would recommend that. I talked with the guys and I know that the headers and ORY fit with no
    problems
    I found a deal on a set of pacesetters that i will hopefully be getting in the next couple days. Thanks for the thread and the info. I will be contacting texas speed for their high-flo catted Y for the headers. You got texas speed brand ORY correct? I am sure that the catted would fit the same since its for teh same application.

  20. #40
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
    I found a deal on a set of pacesetters that i will hopefully be getting in the next couple days. Thanks for the thread and the info. I will be contacting texas speed for their high-flo catted Y for the headers. You got texas speed brand ORY correct? I am sure that the catted would fit the same since its for teh same application.
    I believe so. Also check the site sponsors for deals too. I shopped everywhere. I mean everywhere looking for what I wanted. This time it was TSP that had the better deal for what I want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. installed headers
    By Siciliano15 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 05:38 AM
  2. Headers Installed!!!!!
    By Y2KArcticSS in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 07:38 AM
  3. headers installed...
    By Spaz in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 07:43 PM
  4. who's installed their own headers?
    By GottaHaveLS1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 07:11 AM
  5. just installed headers
    By adham in forum External Engine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 11:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •