Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

headers for ls1

This is a discussion on headers for ls1 within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by basballny2 thank you for providing those sheets, but with what were trying to figure out dont think ...

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    thank you for providing those sheets, but with what were trying to figure out dont think theyll help because of the other mods added along with the headers. So if im looking at this, the first run before the 1 7/8 was done with 1 3/4? So you gained 14 hp from lid, bigger headers, 3.90's from 3.73's and a tune?
    actually, i explained that the only difference between the 2 dyno sheets is the headers, intake and tune. to clarify, i went from a stock ls1 intake, stock manifolds, and a 3.23 gear to an ls6 intake, 1 7/8 LT's, and a 3.73 gear with a tune. yes, the parts that were switched out were stock, but there were other supporting boltons there, not many though. also, there was an offroad y on the car that naturally got swapped to the kooks 3" offroad y

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

hahaha, u know how a motor works right? The smaller the TB the less air comes into the engine, the less combustion, the less the exhaust needs to let out. The bigger the TB, the more air comes in, the more combustion, the more the exhaust needs to let out. Until you make the engine, (I believe that comes before the exhaust right? Or is it the other way around?) (thats sarcasm) until the engine can breathe in more air theirs no purpose of having a larger exhaust to let out smaller amounts of air. Once you add a cam/heads etc. then the larger exhaust comes into play. And if you look at his post he clearly states his car got dynoed 14 HP over stock with headers and a lid with a tune. That backs up my statement right there.
    wow if you thought i was serious, you got problems.....
    but is not more HP a good reason for a better part, i realize not everyone wants to spend top dollar for a couple more ponies, but the way i look at it, why not....but im not going to argue with you b/c your set in your mindset, wrong or not and your not gonna change mine, but ill leave it at there is more potential with 1 7/8

Red
    2001 ws6

i agree 100% theres more potential with 1 7/8.......but to get 1 7/8 with only headers and an exhaust, theres no point, little gains to less gains.....ill look for those dyno sheets tho

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

i agree 100% theres more potential with 1 7/8.......but to get 1 7/8 with only headers and an exhaust, theres no point, little gains to less gains.....ill look for those dyno sheets tho
    yes, but if you're buying kooks anyway they cost the same as the 1 3/4 kooks, so you're technically not wasting one red cent. the only time you see a price jump in kooks is if you get the stepped headers. on a stock engine, yes you get about the same power increase, maybe a little less with the bigger headers, but when you DO decide to go bigger (as we all do) you don't have to buy or install headers again. that part will already be done

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information