Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

headers for ls1

This is a discussion on headers for ls1 within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by rooster99SS ^^^i agree. pacesetter is the best bang for the buck hands down. i bought the kooks ...

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by rooster99SS View Post
    ^^^i agree. pacesetter is the best bang for the buck hands down. i bought the kooks 1 7/8 for mine though, and i have to say that i love them
    ya guna have to agree unless you have the mods to support it, the 1 7/8 is to large unless you have the mods to support them, such as cam/heads etc. ill try to look for some charts see what i can find but i remember looking one time on a car dyno'd with 1 3/4 and 1 7/8, these cars with smaller mods (CAI, headers/exhaust) need the back pressure to perform better, 1 3/4 produced better numbers, leme see if i can find you those charts. If you got the mods to go with it though it was a good choice or if you plan on going bigger down the road.

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I did the same thing you did, and im glad i did.... its great peace of mind,

but watch out... some people will tell you that it was dumb and your gonna lose hp with 1 7/8, but all that is is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    you guys are dumb!!!!! derrrrr!!! and are gonna lose hp! i spent 3000 on custom 2" !!!!
    you called that shit didn't you?

i've heard it all before, and really i'll be honest and come out and say that i barely gained ANY HP when i added these headers. with the headers, LS6 intake AND a tune i picked up 14hp i think. here's the deal though, I plan on stepping things up very soon, and considering these headers are about $850 a pop, i would rather just buy a set that i can grow into. that's not to mention how much of a PITA they are to install. i wouldn't want to do that twice either

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    ya guna have to agree unless you have the mods to support it, the 1 7/8 is to large unless you have the mods to support them, such as cam/heads etc. ill try to look for some charts see what i can find but i remember looking one time on a car dyno'd with 1 3/4 and 1 7/8, these cars with smaller mods (CAI, headers/exhaust) need the back pressure to perform better, 1 3/4 produced better numbers, leme see if i can find you those charts. If you got the mods to go with it though it was a good choice or if you plan on going bigger down the road.
    LOL, guess we were typing at the same time, but yeah we're thinking along the same lines

red
    2000 camaro ss

you also have a pic of obama......
    my statement was full of sarcasm. . .

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    my statement was full of sarcasm. . .
    LOL, i guess i should have read more into you spending $3k on a 2"......I was like WTF?

Red
    2001 ws6

LOL, guess we were typing at the same time, but yeah we're thinking along the same lines
    haha ya man, once u get that motor to breathe better the 1 7/8 come into play but until then the 1 3/4 is the way to go

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I will call BULLSHIT, every day for the rest of my life untill proven wrong on this, so im waiting..... and no ricer site bullshit but dyno either.....

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

haha ya man, once u get that motor to breathe better the 1 7/8 come into play but until then the 1 3/4 is the way to go
    You will not lose HP or TQ by going with the bigger tubes, you may gain more HP than TQ with a switch, but you will not lose either by switching, this is like you trying to tell me with a smaller Throttle body your going to see better numbers.... and yes i understand how the scavenging effect works, and also the concept of velocity....

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

You will not lose HP or TQ by going with the bigger tubes, you may gain more HP than TQ with a switch, but you will not lose either by switching, this is like you trying to tell me with a smaller Throttle body your going to see better numbers....
    my torque numbers are actually really good. the car put down 462hp/539tq on a 125 shot wet kit. my N/A numbers blow balls though, lol. once i get the cam in, i'll be using the headers a little more toward their potential, and when the H/C LS2 goes in it'll be even better

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

my torque numbers are actually really good. the car put down 462hp/539tq on a 125 shot wet kit. my N/A numbers blow balls though, lol. once i get the cam in, i'll be using the headers a little more toward their potential, and when the H/C LS2 goes in it'll be even better
    Right, the bigger headers may not even show a difference at lower hp levels, but they will be at least the same, and the more you add, the better they will shine... so the way i look at it why not give a motor evey chance at hp that it can get?

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

hell, i'm with ya or i wouldn't have spent the money on them. my main logic is like i said before, i bought them because i knew i would need them eventually and didn't want to buy/install something like that twice

oh, and my numbers are through a VERY weak A4

Red
    2001 ws6

You will not lose HP or TQ by going with the bigger tubes, you may gain more HP than TQ with a switch, but you will not lose either by switching, this is like you trying to tell me with a smaller Throttle body your going to see better numbers.... and yes i understand how the scavenging effect works, and also the concept of velocity....
    hahaha, u know how a motor works right? The smaller the TB the less air comes into the engine, the less combustion, the less the exhaust needs to let out. The bigger the TB, the more air comes in, the more combustion, the more the exhaust needs to let out. Until you make the engine, (I believe that comes before the exhaust right? Or is it the other way around?) (thats sarcasm) until the engine can breathe in more air theirs no purpose of having a larger exhaust to let out smaller amounts of air. Once you add a cam/heads etc. then the larger exhaust comes into play. And if you look at his post he clearly states his car got dynoed 14 HP over stock with headers and a lid with a tune. That backs up my statement right there.

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

hahaha, u know how a motor works right? The smaller the TB the less air comes into the engine, the less combustion, the less the exhaust needs to let out. The bigger the TB, the more air comes in, the more combustion, the more the exhaust needs to let out. Until you make the engine, (I believe that comes before the exhaust right? Or is it the other way around?) (thats sarcasm) until the engine can breathe in more air theirs no purpose of having a larger exhaust to let out smaller amounts of air. Once you add a cam/heads etc. then the larger exhaust comes into play. And if you look at his post he clearly states his car got dynoed 14 HP over stock with headers and a lid with a tune. That backs up my statement right there.
    no sir, it doesn't say that. here's a link to my fquick so you can see my mod list:

www.fquick.com/rooster99ss

Red
    2001 ws6

you called that shit didn't you?

i've heard it all before, and really i'll be honest and come out and say that i barely gained ANY HP when i added these headers. with the headers, LS6 intake AND a tune i picked up 14hp i think. here's the deal though, I plan on stepping things up very soon, and considering these headers are about $850 a pop, i would rather just buy a set that i can grow into. that's not to mention how much of a PITA they are to install. i wouldn't want to do that twice either
    oo i guess i misread 14 hp.....

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

you said over stock, that's a misinterpretation. sorry, not tryin' to be a dick or anything, just making sure i'm not misquoted

Red
    2001 ws6

na man me niether, what were your mods before and after ...... compare the difference in the 14 hp....and also do you know your tq numbers?

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

here's my dynosheet. i don't have the before one scanned into the computer, but it was 324hp/335tq. the only difference between the 2 is the headers, intake, gear, and tune. the smaller numbers on the one i'm posting of course are the N/A numbers and the bigger ones would be on the shot. my mods at the time were full suspension, full exhaust, LS6 intake, lid, Granatelli MAF, 3.73 gear, and a tune. that's all i can think of right now anyway. no stall, no cam. just stock internals, boltons, and the shot.

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

oops, my bad gues that IS the before dyno sheet. hang on a sec, let me look for the after, lol

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

here we go:

Red
    2001 ws6

thank you for providing those sheets, but with what were trying to figure out dont think theyll help because of the other mods added along with the headers. So if im looking at this, the first run before the 1 7/8 was done with 1 3/4? So you gained 14 hp from lid, bigger headers, 3.90's from 3.73's and a tune?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information