Headers that are legal in CA

This is a discussion on Headers that are legal in CA within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does anyone know which headers are legal in CA. Also, is there a worthwhile difference from installing headers vs. having ...

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Headers that are legal in CA

Does anyone know which headers are legal in CA. Also, is there a worthwhile difference from installing headers vs. having your exhaust manifolds ported out.

I had mine done already. Is it worth the money to change to headers?? Living in CA there are so many restrictions that headers that are legal many not provide much benefit??

thoughts?

CamaroKillZ28
    Shorty headers only my man....thats the only way even tho I am going to install Jet-Hot lts on my camaro!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Shorties or get a smog test and then put on longs. You have 2 years of more power....and time to either find a smog place that'll let you slide or take'em off every 2 years.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

who's shorties can I use? Will shorties be worth it since I've had my exhaust manifolds ported out?

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by trainingdragon
    who's shorties can I use? Will shorties be worth it since I've had my exhaust manifolds ported out?
    Not sure about porting, but JBA are suppose to be very good shorties. If you have a 98-00, then you can gain 15 HP, if you have 01-02 then you will only gain 5 HP due to the type of maifolds that came on the 01-02. Either way shorties are $600-$700 + install, not sure it is worth it.. Just my .02

not worth it since you have an 02. Go longs and just switch out every 2 years

CamaroKillZ28
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    not worth it since you have an 02. Go longs and just switch out every 2 years
    This is what I plan on doing

Black
    98 Trans Am

Shorty headers that come with a CARB # are the only legal options you have. There won't be a noticeable gain going from ported 02 manifolds to shorty headers though. I have the JBA shorties on my car right now, but am putting on pacesetter longtubes next week. I live in california, and thought I was the only one that still didn't have longtubes lol!

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

hahaha nope i just got them in today, pacesetter LT with Y pipe back through my magnaflow, and the cats are replacable with straight pipes just by loosining a couple bolts, i love it.
    1999 Z28, SLP Flow Pack, SLP 85mm MAF, AIR Temp Modual, Taylor 8.5 wires, NGK55 plugs, FRA! Skip Shift Elemenated, Lou's Short Stick, SLP Subrame Connectors, KYB AGX's, EGR Removed, MagnaFlow Catback, 3" cut out. STOCK DYNO ... 308 RWHP 319 RWTQ

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FastAssZ
    hahaha nope i just got them in today, pacesetter LT with Y pipe back through my magnaflow, and the cats are replacable with straight pipes just by loosining a couple bolts, i love it.

I'd be interested to hear how you like the sound of your Pacesetters through the Magnaflow. I just swapped my Magnaflow out for GMMG, and am putting on Pacesetters also. I think it's gonna be pretty loud. What y-pipe did you go with that you can swap the cats out?

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by FastAssZ
    FastAssZ, How Loud is the LT with Magnaflow? I'd like to know since I have Magnaflow right now... I would hate for the cabin to get super-loud, if not too loud i will go with your set up (except keeping the Cats)

Thanks

Black
    2002 Firehawk

sounds like a lot of work to swithc this stuff out. The exhaust system is not real modular. quite a job. Is it really worth it to make the change out. I'm thinking maybe not. When I had my 02 exhaust manifolds ported out, I found a bit of difference, not so much in horsepower, but in throttle response. In my case, I"m not sure if headers are worth the money or the work. Certainly not for 5 HP.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by trainingdragon
    sounds like a lot of work to swithc this stuff out. The exhaust system is not real modular. quite a job. Is it really worth it to make the change out. I'm thinking maybe not. When I had my 02 exhaust manifolds ported out, I found a bit of difference, not so much in horsepower, but in throttle response. In my case, I"m not sure if headers are worth the money or the work. Certainly not for 5 HP.

You must have missed the other threads on longtubes. Not 5 hp, try 20-30 rwhp! Yes it's worth it!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by BBATCAR
    Not sure about porting, but JBA are suppose to be very good shorties. If you have a 98-00, then you can gain 15 HP, if you have 01-02 then you will only gain 5 HP due to the type of maifolds that came on the 01-02. Either way shorties are $600-$700 + install, not sure it is worth it.. Just my .02

You can get coated pacesetters for $430 at thunder or summit...as long as you don't buy directly from pacesetter. The exhaust manifolds were redesigned in 00....so if you have a 98-99 you'll see a better gain with shorties. And if someone pays a shop to install shorties...they deserve to have their money taken by a shop IMO.

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

hey sorry guys i havent had the time to install the headers yet but the Y-pipe i had custom made by my buddy with an exhaust shop. im really excited to hear what it sounds like and ill be sure to fill ya guys in when i do, maybe even try n get a sound clip for ya.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    You can get coated pacesetters for $430 at thunder or summit...as long as you don't buy directly from pacesetter. The exhaust manifolds were redesigned in 00....so if you have a 98-99 you'll see a better gain with shorties. And if someone pays a shop to install shorties...they deserve to have their money taken by a shop IMO.
    Summit was one of the more expensive places I checked. They sell the pacesetters for $430, but you can buy the pacesetters AND o/r y-pipe for $500 from TSP.

Thread Information