Headers installed, a few observations

This is a discussion on Headers installed, a few observations within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Like i said Pacesetter LT and ORY just installed so i have a few observations for anyone that cares. The ...

WCTA88

Headers installed, a few observations

Like i said Pacesetter LT and ORY just installed so i have a few observations for anyone that cares. The power increase is very substantial, did not dissapoint one bit.

the sound is just a thing of beauty, really woke up the car.

Havent seen hardly any increase in heat during the normal running of the car

When i had the stock y and manifolds on and i would start the car cold and give it gas a very loud pop would come out(ive seen threads on this just couldnt find them) after header install no popping whatsoever during any stage of duriving cold or not. Curious to know if it was the cats or the manifolds that caused the popping????

Without EGR of AIR doesnt seem like it is missing anything, looks the same under the hood(if its done right) but need the stupid codes deleted

Overall, great mod, pacesetter fit is rediculously good, y pipe is snug but mine doesnt bang(have heard some say it would) and i just wish i would have done this mod sooner....highly recommended... anything else just ask

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

The popping in the exhaust is from the air pump. If you had kept it connected, that would still happen. I deleted mine also with my headers.
    I agree, headers are a very good mod. Long tubes, of course! With ORY.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

what all do you need to take out when you get the race style headers?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Only thing is the EGR delete and AIR pump. If you have no emissions testing, you can use the race headers, they also look a little better since no emissions provisions.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah i don't have any emissions here in FL, i ordered the race style headers which is why i'm asking.. i wanna know what i can take out

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You will need an EGR delete plate to cover where you EGR used plumb into the top of your manifold (unless you already have a different manifold) and go ahead and remove the air pump when you find the time, since it won't be connected anyway. Less wieght on the front end. Oh yeah, notice how much wieght you save vs the OE stuff!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

hmm.. does the FAST 90 intake manifold have the EGR hole in it? i'm assuming that's what you meant in your first sentence lol

reason i ask is because if I don't get the egr delete plate on the current manifold i have now, just remove the air pump, and wait until i upgrade the intake manifold will i be ok? or does it need to be blocked off immediately?

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 M6 Trans Am

I would say you need to get that blocked off as soon as you can or it will blow air no where, i didnt even use the block plate, i just had the install guy seal it off (clamp and weld) and hide it, it looked clean, as for the weight its not that much in the grand scheme of things, the pump he took off was only like 15lbs, tubing another couple, i mean thats not substantial

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    hmm.. does the FAST 90 intake manifold have the EGR hole in it? i'm assuming that's what you meant in your first sentence lol

reason i ask is because if I don't get the egr delete plate on the current manifold i have now, just remove the air pump, and wait until i upgrade the intake manifold will i be ok? or does it need to be blocked off immediately?
    IDK about that Fast intake, I bet it is blocked off already or they give you the plate or the option when you order the manifold. So, since you have race headers, get the intake without the EGR provision. But, you don't have to get the block off immediatley, just unplug the EGR electrical connector.

And you don't have to remove the air pump and associated plumbing right away, but every pound counts!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Somebody told me that removing the air pump and not having an o2 bung in the headers will make your car run rich or lean.. since i do have the race style headers am i gonna have to drill an o2 bung in the headers or something??

I'm not quite sure what he was telling me so I'm just double checking on it..

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 M6 Trans Am

well installing any LTs and ORY will make the car go rich anyway

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Ok nevermind about my last post, the headers DO have the o2 bungs in them already.. But as far as the Air pump goes, what exactly does it do?

Is pumping air into the cats to help it on startup the ONLY thing it does?

If that is definetly the ONLY thing it does then I don't see how it would cause any problems

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Yeah, AIR is really only used on start up for the cats. Im going to tear the EGR and AIR systems out come spring. It wont cause any problems besides the stupid SES light.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

+1 on above.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 M6 Trans Am

+2, got rid of AIR no negative effect on anything at all

Thread Information