Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Headers and horsepower

This is a discussion on Headers and horsepower within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I used the tip of a flat blade screwdriver to pop the dipstick out. Took all of 30 seconds to ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I used the tip of a flat blade screwdriver to pop the dipstick out. Took all of 30 seconds to remove it. I also had the starter out and that created more space to work in.

Red
    98 Trans Am

AH, yeah i thought about taking out my starter. But i really didnt want to take out another component. How ever, i do recommend taking the EGR pump off via the 2 bolts on the front of the passenger side head. That creates a ton of room for you. If you have it of course. I put all my AIR and EGR stuff back on. I wanted to prove a point (no matter how painfull sometimes) that you didnt have to cut, torch, remove starters, remove steering links, or hammer. lost this one, but very, very, very small amount of hammering. Literaly only the size of the ball pien hammer head on the driver side I used.

but that dipstick tube was almost my end of the world. I swear i was 2 steps and two seconds from cutting it down so i could get the maifold out. I actually had snips sitting in my back pocket ready to cut it before my last attemp to pull it out. Now im not a small man. Im 254lbs and can bench 205lbs 20 times straight for 4 sets (dont know my max dont workout that way), so a little dipstick tube testing my manly hood was really getting on my nerves lol
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I had to touch the lip of my K-member on the driver side with a grinder to get that one in. Other than that there were no problems. I did leave the cats attached to the manifolds as I could not see a need to separate them.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I went to work on every bolt i could loosen. Taking the cats off the maifold helps alot. The driver side bolts all snaped off. Oh well. the passenger side all the nuts came off. I even reused them to bolt the y-pipe support brace together. the LLP y-pipe doesnt have threads in it like the old y-pipe. So I noticed that alot of the bolts are 15m around the exhaust so i test it and it threaded right together. So remember kids. Try to save every nut and bolt you can, you never know when you might need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information