Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Headers and horsepower

This is a discussion on Headers and horsepower within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does any one have any dyno proof of headers (LT's) adding horespower to a LS1. If you do, please post ...

2002 Camaro Z28

Headers and horsepower

Does any one have any dyno proof of headers (LT's) adding horespower to a LS1. If you do, please post the numbers and your mods. I hear a lot of people on both sides of the arguement. Some even say you lose power which I have a hard time believing. Thanks.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Who have you been talking to?
    I gained 50hp with all the bolt-ons.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    so that puts you at what..........60hp now?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    so that puts you at what..........60hp now?
    close enough, however it would make me sad to think that a 408 is only .1et faster then me lawls

Stock
    2002 Camaro

close enough, however it would make me sad to think that a 408 is only .1et faster then me lawls
    That is sad to think but i still sleep just fine. Just wait until i get my 9" and some DR's.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    That is sad to think but i still sleep just fine. Just wait until i get my 9" and some DR's.

Artic
    2002 Z28

50HP! no sh*t. Mine will be here on monday!! ya buddy. Anyone wanna help with the install??

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

well if this tells you anything i put down 360 with LTs, ORY, ported TB and a lid with a K&N. didnt do a stock run but i think this otta def tell ya u aint gonna loose anything! haha

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Mikat1 View Post
    50HP! no sh*t. Mine will be here on monday!! ya buddy. Anyone wanna help with the install??
    Mine didn't already come with an ls-6 manifold.

It better be some good food and beer.

Artic
    2002 Z28

Mine didn't already come with an ls-6 manifold.

It better be some good food and beer.
    Food and beer.. Small price to pay for getting the job done right.
    and some cocaine

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

and some cocaine
    at doing it right

Stock
    2002 Camaro

and some cocaine
    You guys will be working all night

2002 Camaro Z28

I have been fixing cars for a while now but never done any performance work until now that I have a car worth doin it to. Of course it makes sense that more air and bigger exhaust would increase performance but a lot of old guys don't seem to like headers on newer vehicles. I went ahead and installed my pacesetter race style headers and ORY this weekend and so far am very happy with it. Pretty easy install too, I was pleasantly surprised.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

As part of the "old guy" crowd I'm very suprised at your statement. I've been putting headers and/or dual exhaust on new cars since the mid-70's.

Since an ICE is basicly an air pump the more air in and out the greater the volumetric efficiency the more power.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardZ View Post
    I have been fixing cars for a while now but never done any performance work until now that I have a car worth doin it to. Of course it makes sense that more air and bigger exhaust would increase performance but a lot of old guys don't seem to like headers on newer vehicles. I went ahead and installed my pacesetter race style headers and ORY this weekend and so far am very happy with it. Pretty easy install too, I was pleasantly surprised.
    That's great you don't screw around

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardZ View Post
    mine went in easy as cake too. i kept hearin all these horror stories about LT installs but didnt have any with mine. ofcourse it didnt hurt that i already had my trans off doin a clutch install, haha.
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

Red
    98 Trans Am

Just got done with my obx and llp ory and for being a somewhat new auto tech, i did it in 11 hours. would have been more like 8 if the stupid dipstick tube came out alot faster. stupid tube. other than that and removing the back header bolts out, it was pretty easy.

2002 Camaro Z28

Yea, I had to pull pretty hard to get the dipstick tube out. Took me around 7 hours installed subframe connectors as well. Don't know if you had air tools or not but using an impact gun on the converter bolts and stock y pipe bolts saves a lot of time. Those things turn pretty hard. I wish I had brought my air ratchet with me, those stock manifold bolts turned hard to the last thread. They had loctite on them, everyone says to put antisieze on them but I used loctite when I reinstalled the header bolts.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I had an air ratchet to assit in the "redundancy" turning. Broke everything loose with a wrench or regular ratchet and then used my air ratchet where i could. extentions and univerisals save your life let me tell you. the only thing that would have been better would be universal sockets lol. But my shallow and deep sockets worked great. and ratchet wrenches worked great for the rear exhausts manifold bolts. Everything broke loose for me really easy actually. even the O2's came out. All of them. with out torching. Which brings me to a good point. RUN YOUR CAR FOR A FEW MINUTES BEFORE YOU PB BLAST AND UNBOLT. It helps brake loose stuff easierlater on. let it cool a little but work on a warm car, not a cold one. it helps. I antisiezed everything even the band clamp bolts.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    mine went in easy as cake too. i kept hearin all these horror stories about LT installs but didnt have any with mine. ofcourse it didnt hurt that i already had my trans off doin a clutch install, haha.
    Im with you on that one. I didnt cut or torch anything. I was so worried that i might break a sparkplug or a exhaust manifold bolt off in the head and come to find out, that was the least of my worries. The dipstick was a NIGHTMARE. I had the whole driver side done and i still had a loose stock passenger side mainfold stuck in there cause the dipstick was being a bastard. I even had the y-pipe hooked up and preped to be bolted down but i still had a dipstick in the way AHHHH... but then the gods smiled and laughed at me and took pitty finally and let it wiggle loose.... with the help of a visegrip, hammer, pry bar, and LOTS of swearing.... I mean ALOT..... That stupid little washer was the only thiing standing in my way in the bottom of the dipstick tube. you would think with it SUBMERGED in oil all its life (or at least close to a steady supply) that it would be a nice and easy pull. OH NO. NOT FOR ME.... but anyway.. other than that. It was a breeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information