Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

HEADERS .. the happy ending:)

This is a discussion on HEADERS .. the happy ending:) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; HOLY CRAP!!! the SES light finally came on today. And boy do i smell the gas now. yep, definatly gonna ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

HOLY CRAP!!! the SES light finally came on today. And boy do i smell the gas now. yep, definatly gonna get that Tune and some highflow cats in the really near future. Holy crap does that burn rich now. I would have never thought that tould do anything like that. But the down stream o2's are probably wondering why so much fuel is coming their way huh lol Some highflow cats and a tune my definate recommendation now. And a new muffler cause my flowmaster sounds like ass now. high rpm is fin, but above idle up to 1500 ish (which is cruzing speeds at 30-45ish) flowmaster just sounds ... not good lol

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well, you're really not that rich running, it's just that you now smell the emissions your car would normally produce if it were not for the catalytic convertors. Convertors really cut down on unburned HC emissions, as well as help convert the CO into CO2/H2O.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well im still gonna get some highflow cats to help with that and to smooth out the not e a little. I talked to a exhaust guy today and he said the flowmasters good but it need the cats to help support it sound.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Got the 2 stainless steel highflow cats for $90.98 off of ebay. They should take care of the gas smell huh?
    So hey, if i take a trip to georgia next week, my car should be fine right? other than a little fuel smell at stop signs, no harm right? I did an oil change and checked my work today. Everythings tight and together. No leaks yet. Just want a tune and put my new cats on when i get back.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Right. No harm other than your SES light. Enjoy the increase in gas MPG as well as the power/sound.

My highway mileage went up almost 2 with the Hookers/ORY.

And those convertors will help the smell. How are you going to put them on? Cut into your new Y-pipe?

Red
    98 Trans Am

ok cool. so my gas milage will be ok for now huh? good. Yeah looks like im gonn ahve to cut into and have my new cats welded in for me. Kinda wish i got the cattdd y from LLP now but oh well. Its all stainless still. And the exhaust guy is pretty good in my town. 175 for the y-pipe and 90 fo the new cats so i still didnt spend 450 on a catted y-pipe form LLP. Oh well. I also think the cats will help support the flowmaster a bit and smooth out the note too. ORY and flowmasters do not mix lol
    Hey also, is .045 ok for plug gap? I know stock is .060 but all i had was a .045 feeler gage at the time of install. I forgot my good one at work.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-25-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Alright! go it! heres a clip of it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlOtBswnw6o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlOtBswnw6o[/ame]

Ill get a little better one later. Its a little dark and Ill do a start up and walk around later. But you get the idea.

Red
    98 Trans Am

And now some high flow cats that just came in today. not too shabby looking. $90 for both.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well i made it to Gergia from wisconsin. Pretty good drive. REally boring but other than running over a dead deer, caught some meat, but other than that my new exhuast heald up. and yes i was very happy that my gas milage seems to have gone up. I would venture to say that Im probably very close to 30 mpg. Im not sure what I did exactly but I only filled up 3 times from lake geneva wisconsin to atlanta georgia. a good 400+ miles every fillup. maybe 500 once. but i dont go too far under a 1/4 tank so i dont know exactly. I was impressed though. very happy about that. new plugs and o2s help too maybe

Black
    '00 Z/28 Camaro

Great thread!

I just went through and priced everything out if I were to do this install.. and let me tell you, the price looks much better than if I were to go and buy a set of ARH or Kooks.. My question to you is, would you recommend these headers?

I definitely like the look of the LPP catted Y, but I see that they have O2 bungs after the cats, that seems like a long ways away.. unless someone knows how long of an extension you need I was thinking about e-mailing them and asking. It'd be great if I could run both sets of O2's.

My list of parts included

3x band clamps
    MSD Red wires
    NGK TR55's
    2x 24" O2 extensions (not sure about these)
    GM gaskets
    Stage 8 locking header bolts
    OBX Racing Headers 00-02 Camaro/Firebird F-Body 5.7L LS1
    LPP Catted Y

All this with shipping totaled for under $1,000. The price is definitely right.

Red
    98 Trans Am

very sexy Im not sure but i guess you wuold have to be the guiny pig to see if the original o2's will reach the catted Y's o2 bunges. But very good on budgeting

Red
    98 Trans Am

well finally had the HF catts installed today. Was a little sad to have the brand new LLP stainless caT cut to have the new cats put in, but after some pics, oyu all will definatly like the after result. Have to round out the section on the driver side and flatten the driverside cat, the passenger side ony needed alittlle cut here and there. Original down streams o2 are still intact and for the time being.. operational and even the SES light was turned off woohoo! $175 ory and $90 for a pair of HF cats, not a bad days work. and still have the suppoty brackets. and the sound was even smoothed out and toned down a bit.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Newest pics with the cleanest 3" ive seen in a while. My muffler shop guy is AH freakin MAZING!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

That looks nice. Now you don't have to worry about your carbon emissions FTW LOL! And as a bonus, some of the rasp with the exhaust is gone, or did you have a problem with that?

On a side note, I just got my PCM back from "Tuned By Frost" and I can feel the difference, especially on higher RPM. Too Fast has more urgency on the way to my usual 6,100 RPM shifts. And, no more SES light on Woo Hoo!

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Doing this myself this weekend, how did you hang the exhaust under the car, my cars a 99 did you have any other problems? I picked up a X pipe and some flowtech longtubes and im not sure how to go about hanging the x pipe under the car. Doing it with a lift and air tools as well as two of my ASE buddys so hopefully it wont take too long.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

pics look good up top, did you want it all welded to the collectors?

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    pics look good up top, did you want it all welded to the collectors?
    At first i didnt but it was the only way to get them hooked up. The passenger side can be unbolted from the mid lenth hookup. The driver side is gonna be a problem is I ever need to take it off. I dont think so, but if i do I can cut it and band clamp it later some how. But for now im happy with it. The Cats are great. THey clean up alot of noise and rattle and as a bonus, interior noise is cut down too. Im gonna have to go with that if you do want to cut on rasp, HF cats are the way to go. HAving them relly close to the collector is cool too. that way they can heat up faster and I still got my original rear O2s still hooked up. So far the SES lights still off.

Red
    98 Trans Am

[QUOTE=Too Fast;2323923]That looks nice. Now you don't have to worry about your carbon emissions FTW LOL! And as a bonus, some of the rasp with the exhaust is gone, or did you have a problem with that?

Its nice not smelling like a funny car at stop lights lol. I had a friend drive behind me and he thought I was running a special fuel or burning something, i was like, nope, just no cats lol. But thats fixed now. Sounds great, ill put a clip on later of the new sound soon

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

[quote=JoshuaGrooms83;2324976]
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    That looks nice. Now you don't have to worry about your carbon emissions FTW LOL! And as a bonus, some of the rasp with the exhaust is gone, or did you have a problem with that?

Its nice not smelling like a funny car at stop lights lol. I had a friend drive behind me and he thought I was running a special fuel or burning something, i was like, nope, just no cats lol. But thats fixed now. Sounds great, ill put a clip on later of the new sound soon
    Probably sounds a little deeper/meaner, and a little quieter.

Red
    98 Trans Am

[quote=Too Fast;2325805]
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post

Probably sounds a little deeper/meaner, and a little quieter.
    Actually yes. it sounds deeper. I think it sounds alot better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information