Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

HEADERS .. the happy ending:)

This is a discussion on HEADERS .. the happy ending:) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; diameter on the outside of the tubing wall as opposed to the inside of the tubing wall....

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

diameter on the outside of the tubing wall as opposed to the inside of the tubing wall.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    diameter on the outside of the tubing wall as opposed to the inside of the tubing wall.
    I get that, but what's the inner diameter?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

well there's pics of Joshuas in this thread and if you'd like to see mine there's pics in the following anybody runnin OBX headers???

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I like seeing new and shiny parts. Have fun installing them!

Red
    98 Trans Am

I like um too too bad theyget stuck under the car and no one can see them unless you go to get an oil change lol.
    As far as inner and outter diameters, your getting a little too fixated on that topic. If your primary concern is flow, then by all means get the big bad QTP Stainless Steel $1000+ headers and be happy. Those will work too lol. I just dont have that kind of money for a couple of bent pieces of metal to worry about 1/16" or less. Ill let the pro guys worry about that. Thats what they get paid to do.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    I like um too too bad theyget stuck under the car and no one can see them unless you go to get an oil change lol.
    As far as inner and outter diameters, your getting a little too fixated on that topic. If your primary concern is flow, then by all means get the big bad QTP Stainless Steel $1000+ headers and be happy. Those will work too lol. I just dont have that kind of money for a couple of bent pieces of metal to worry about 1/16" or less. Ill let the pro guys worry about that. Thats what they get paid to do.
    Not saying anything is wrong with em, just surprised they aren't 1 3/4. For the price its hard to beat, just comparing between some of the other brands out there such as hooker, pacesetter, etc.

Red
    98 Trans Am

it all good. I guess they just kinda round the number to the nearest 1/16th or somthing. Im just happy i got stainless LT headers

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Why don't you have those headers on yet!!!!!! But yeah, take picturesduring your install, you'll like it later. And you should fire that baby up open headers, the sound is glorious.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ive been trying to but i was suppose ot have jury duty this week and then it got cancelled. Now im just trying to get to the shop to do it but it looks like im gonnahave to do it the hard way on the ground. Oh well. The only thing really stoping me right is that all my good tools are at work.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Nevermind... Was gonna start but then i started running into the problem that i dont have all the tools i need at my house. All my good tools are of course at work. Were i am not. SOooooo im gonna regroup and start again either tommorrow or saturday. But on a good note i figured out a few other things i needed. Like nuts and bolts to hook the AIR tubes back up. The headers dont have threads, just holes. I know, i know "blocking plate" but im gonna make my car as "legal" as possible. But on the bright side, i got the STB and AIR bolts came loose really easy. THey actually were too easy. Im wondering if they were played with at one time. Anywho, falsestart, illegal contact and roughing the passer 50 yard penalty still 4th down and the head coach just got kicked off the field and the quarterback just had his arm broken and your the lions lol matter of fact you owe touchdowns....
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-18-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ok this time im serious. Sunday is gonna be D-day. Its gonna happen. I even bought new gaskets and got bolts for the AIR and EGR tubs. Its gonna happen. Rain Snow or Shine... perferable shine. PLEASE NO SNOW!!

Red
    98 Trans Am

getting up early tomorrow to get the install done. wish me luck. Got my good tools now so now theres no excuse lol. other than parts missing lol

Red
    98 Trans Am

about a quarter the way there. THe hardest thing im running into is the dipstick tube. Oh and by the way, you dont have to take all the coils out if you have a 98. Just the first three on the passenger side then thats it.

Red
    98 Trans Am

All done! Sounds great, looks hot, and other than the dipstick tube, install was a breeze. Pics and a tech version of the install will follow cause a few things in the other install didnt apply or just didnt need to be done. Now im going to bed cause im freakin exhausted. My hands hurt and my dipstick tube looks like a Eager Allen Poe nightmare. Still works, just looks a little, um... beat up.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Alright so i was doing a write up on my install and i got logged out as soon as i try to post it. all that work gone. So im just gonna post my picks and say this about the OBX and LLp y-pipe... AHHHH mazing!!! FREAKIN AWESOME!!! The OBX headers fit sooooo good. I had to fix a little spot on the fire wall and that was it. The header flange caught a little and that was it. A square inch of firewall was all that needed to be "massaged on the drivers side. The y-pipe was freakin a breeze. It lined up and bolted up perfectly. The hardest part of this WHOLE install was the dipstick removal. And let me tell you. That was a PAIN IN MY butt.

Sorry if it seems driver side biased, but i t took a while for me to get the dip stick tube out of the engine. It was really jammed in there. It was soo bad i had the all but the passenger side header in cause i couldnt get the dipstick tube out. The driver side was completely done and i still had the passenger side exhuast manifold in the way still. the bolts where out and everything, just the dipstick tube. but once i got it out it was glorious. everything slide right in no prob. great fit. No bangin. Sounds awesome. NOt even a check engine light yet. I got the old rear o2s still hooked up and running still in the new y-pipe. Really good fit. The driver sides exhuast hanger lined right up with a shield bolt went right in. Cant wait to see how it really runs. Now for a tune. freakin AHH mazing

OH and who ever said to take out the coils can kiss my ass JK.. but i only had to take out the first three on the passenger side. that was it. nothing else. NO starter removal, no steering removal, no griding, no cuting... a little hammering and i mean very little and everything went right in. 11 hours for me by myself.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

NOt bad, not bad. But you will hear about someone who did this by themself and only took 'em 4 hours. I was able to use a lift and still took me ~6.5 hours. It helps when you have all the right tools! I put my stuff up side by side, OE exhaust and new headers, what a difference you can see on a proper exhaust system.

Now, if you have any misfiring after this install, double check all your plug wire connections. And yes, your SES light will be on soon....did your headers have EGR and AIR provisions?

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    NOt bad, not bad. But you will hear about someone who did this by themself and only took 'em 4 hours. I was able to use a lift and still took me ~6.5 hours. It helps when you have all the right tools! I put my stuff up side by side, OE exhaust and new headers, what a difference you can see on a proper exhaust system.

Now, if you have any misfiring after this install, double check all your plug wire connections. And yes, your SES light will be on soon....did your headers have EGR and AIR provisions?
    No misfiring yet (made sure the coils clicked twice on the wires) And my headers did have EGR/AIR provisions. PLugs are gaped at .045 only thing i had at the house at the time. Better than what was in there if you say the old plugs. I think the old plugs had about a 1/8" lol! I hooked up the old o2's into the new y-pipe. Went right in there. All the old o2's came out almost no prob. The only one that was a prob was the driver rear o2. A little muscle and it came right out. Let me tell you, getting the new plugs in were a breeze now that the headers are in.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

How many miles on your car?

Red
    98 Trans Am

just turned over 100K last month. matter of fact it I got 101K now lol time for an oil change in 400 miles. I was thinking about doing it while i was doing the header install but it would give me an excuse to get it to the shop to get it on a lift to inspect my work while i change the oil and get more post op pics

Red
    98 Trans Am

Of course now im looking at getting a new muffler cause now i dont quite like the flowmaster on it anymore. sounds wierd at 1300ish rpm. Almost like a flutter sound. Hardly any rasp though. Sounds good at idle and near wot

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information