Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

HEADERS .. the happy ending:)

This is a discussion on HEADERS .. the happy ending:) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Wheels I bought that package last week for $200, sounded crazy to me but I emailed the ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I bought that package last week for $200, sounded crazy to me but I emailed the seller asking if everything in the picture was included in the auction and he confirmed.

The package is going through customs now, I should have it next week, but I won't be installing for a while.
    Yeah thats the one with the kit. I think that one has smaller piping but its a complete for those who dont want to piece together their stuff but still want an affordable SS header install. My headers only came with the headers but these are designed completely differnet. Mine resemble pacesetter headers but are stainless. Plus mines a slip fit wheres as yours is a bolt together if im not mistaken. Ive heard good reviews on it. Just clarifying if anyone gets confused.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

You're right, they are different. I tried to be clear, I'm talking about the OBX KIT that includes stainless headers and Y, not the stand-alones that you purchased

I didn't intend to confuse your thread, apologies.

As far as primarary diameter goes, the ones I ordered are advertised as 1.75. I've seen the thread where it was claimed these have 1.5 primarys. I've also seen threads where a well respected tuner says that he's seen gains typical of any LT install from these and that the multiple sets he's seen did not have primarys that small.

Shrug, It's a crap shoot. I'll post up what I find in the box when it arrives. (In a different thread)
    Last edited by Wheels; 02-12-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

No probs dude. Its all good. Mine are 1.75 primarys. More room for other mods i guess. As soon as it decided to quite snowing up here and clear up for a day, ill install mine and post up my progress.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by myredSS View Post
    I've read the OBX are better than the option racing ones. I have also seen SS headers and y-pipe, 2 resonators, bands, etc from OBX for ~$495 on e-bay. Has anyone used these? I'm curious how the LPP stainless y fits to the OBX. I'm interested in a SS catted y-pipe from LPP to mate to the OBXs.
    So far they look like they match up. I gotta still get it to the car though. Ill have an anwser for you pretty soon

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    No probs dude. Its all good. Mine are 1.75 primarys. More room for other mods i guess. As soon as it decided to quite snowing up here and clear up for a day, ill install mine and post up my progress.
    Is that inner diameter? outer diameter? I assume you've checked.

ALL of them are advertised as 1.75 after all, even the ones in the kit, and if mine show up with primarys smaller than that I'll be looking at the ones you've got as an alternative. As long as it's inner diameter that is.

Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

where's "up here" by the way? It's a little white where I am too.

Red
    98 Trans Am

where's "up here" by the way? It's a little white where I am too.
    sorry, im up in wisconsin. It says it by your avitar if you put it in there. Some people leave it as north america or something. Its pretty white all over lately i guess. somewhere in texas got a foot of snow and georgia even got a few inches. freakin crazy. damn global warming lol. sure is hot out there lol

Red
    98 Trans Am

pre install pics coming. photo buckets getting slow lately. but yes the collector is 3" outer, primaries are 1 3/4 inner (1.75) on the OBX R headers (thats what they call them) pics with measurements will follow. Sorry if some are blurry. The measuements are taken at the best of my ability by myself so if it looks off my bad. Take into account too that 3" and and other inch for that matter isnt NASA exact either. They are headers. Not rocker boosters for a space trip to pluto and back. an 1/32 or 1/16 isnt gonna matter too much at this point. come on photo bucket. hurry UP!!!!
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-13-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Pictures GO!!! preinstall

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-13-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

sorry if the pics are big. 7megapixal camera.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I find it interesting that the y-pipe has down stream o2 bungs and has an additional exhaust hanger to support it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

I guess you can look at it however you like, "it's just a 1/16" if you want,although to me it looks like it's 1/16th on each end of that measurement meaning 1 5/8" inner diameter.

a 1 3/4 I.D. pipe has over 16% more crossectional area than 1 5/8 and that allows for signifigantly more flow.

Here's what I'm wondering though, is it standard for most/all header companies to advertise outer diameter?

Does anyone pull out a tape and measure the primarys on there shiny new $1000 brand X headers or is it just when they're budget brand that people look for faults?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Thanks for taking the time to measure and post up the pics!

Red
    98 Trans Am

Honestly, unless i plan on building my car in to a prostock, it really doesnt matter. Yes the better the flow the better, but until you start getting into the higher power aplications, it means little. THese were afforadable AND at least to me seem to be a pretty good quality. Every speed part had to come from some where. Some crap and some good. Edelbrock had to start from some where and so did QTP.

Anyhow, no prob on the pics. I think manufactuers generalize their measurements and go with it. what ever the closest round number is. But i bet these will out flow the stock manifolds lol hell the ypipe alone opens it all up
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-14-2010 at 06:31 AM.

red
    99 camaro

^^^ agreed. Looks good man, money well spent. Who can argue that point???

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Honestly, unless i plan on building my car in to a prostock, it really doesnt matter. Yes the better the flow the better, but until you start getting into the higher power aplications, it means little. THese were afforadable AND at least to me seem to be a pretty good quality. Every speed part had to come from some where. Some crap and some good. Edelbrock had to start from some where and so did QTP.

Anyhow, no prob on the pics. I think manufactuers generalize their measurements and go with it. what ever the closest round number is. But i bet these will out flow the stock manifolds lol hell the ypipe alone opens it all up
    Makes sense to me,

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

I find it interesting that the y-pipe has down stream o2 bungs and has an additional exhaust hanger to support it.
    I read about these set ups quite a bit when they were first being released, the extra hangar is to prevent floor knock on acceleration.

As far as the O2 bungs, could it be that there are no o2 fittings in LPP headers and the bungs you're looking at are for the front sensors? Just a stab in the dark.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I read about these set ups quite a bit when they were first being released, the extra hangar is to prevent floor knock on acceleration.

As far as the O2 bungs, could it be that there are no o2 fittings in LPP headers and the bungs you're looking at are for the front sensors? Just a stab in the dark.
    not sure o the extra o2 bungs but the extra hanger is a welcome. Ill just plug the extra o2 holes with my old o2 sensors if i can get them off. or just a short bolt that will fit it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Mine showed up today, and just to prevent anyone from getting the wrong idea from things said in this thread, it seems both versions of the obx header have 1 3/4" outer diameter primarys and 3" collectors

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Mine showed up today, and just to prevent anyone from getting the wrong idea from things said in this thread, it seems both versions of the obx header have 1 3/4" outer diameter primarys and 3" collectors
    outer diameter?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information