Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

HEADERS .. the happy ending:)

This is a discussion on HEADERS .. the happy ending:) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; When should we change our O2's?...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

When should we change our O2's?

red
    98 Camaro SS

I've read the OBX are better than the option racing ones. I have also seen SS headers and y-pipe, 2 resonators, bands, etc from OBX for ~$495 on e-bay. Has anyone used these? I'm curious how the LPP stainless y fits to the OBX. I'm interested in a SS catted y-pipe from LPP to mate to the OBXs.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

so not to hijack the thread but whats beter y pipe, h pipe or x?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    so not to hijack the thread but whats beter y pipe, h pipe or x?
    X ..due to the smother transition through the X pipe of the gases compared to a H

Red
    98 Trans Am

x-pipes smoothe the flow and sound
    Y-pipes are our stock config. Pretty much a really long X pipe (halfass like) Not as effective for flow, power, or sound really. But gettin the stock one out does you wonders with LTH's
    H pipes are what they sound like. it connects the two pipes together with a straight pipe in the middle. It gives you a angeryer sound (ZO6 compared to a ZR1) The flow and sound bounce around more and come out loud. Not as smooth as an X.
    Its all on prefference and flow needs i suppose.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    When should we change our O2's?
    As a professional ASE Master Mechanic, I start recommending them as a PM item around 60-75k. Not everyone buys them. Especially with cars like ours, that have 4. O2 sensors can become skewed and/or lazy, causing excessive emissions or poor gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    X ..due to the smother transition through the X pipe of the gases compared to a H
    I always thought that too, but like most anything, there are comparisons to prove things wrong. In some situations, the X-pipe gave better mid range torque than the H-pipe, and others the H-pipe gave better HP, especially at high RPM. So, after I saw that, I'm not sure what to recommend except to have a crossover of some sort. Any crossover defintely shows gains over straight dual exhaust, but someone will probably show me a specific example on a specific car where it didn't help LOL.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    You got the 13111's off Ebay? I am going to do headers soon and need some, I figure it is time (2000 with 106k) Another thing you should do is upgrade your wires, I went with the Taylor 10.4mm, upped my response and gas mileage instantly, for $50 they are worth it.
    ALready did MSD wires. I got em on the drivers side. um, still working oin the passengers lol. i figure ill finish that sid when i get the hearders in lol and yeah, i punched in Bosch 13111 and got a ton of hits for them. Most if not all brand new in the box.
    Just make sure to read the bid before buying or youll end up like my bro in law hating ebay cause all he looks at are the prices and pictures and buys it before ever reading what hes really bidding on. like a picture or the box of the product he wants.... its a shame you gotta do that but protect your ass and your money and read the WHOLE bid before buying. I usually look at auctions that have the actual item for sake instead of a geniric pic off the internet. Unless its a big known store like UMI or SUmmit or somthing like that. You know what to look for
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-29-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

anyway, while im still waiting on things, what are good sparkplugs to put in? Ive heard a ton about the NGK tr55... even though they arnt iridium plugs. The NGK tr5ix are.
    But anyway, what are good plugs to install, i want to get it over and done with since im going to be in there anyway installing new LTH's and the rest of my wires.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Couldn't tell ya. I still have the OE plugs, but I am considering changing them soon.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    anyway, while im still waiting on things, what are good sparkplugs to put in? Ive heard a ton about the NGK tr55... even though they arnt iridium plugs. The NGK tr5ix are.
    But anyway, what are good plugs to install, i want to get it over and done with since im going to be in there anyway installing new LTH's and the rest of my wires.
    I'm currently using the NGK TR5ix's, I used the TR55 too. I haven't seen much difference between the 2 plugs. But then again I don't own a dyno to test the difference either. I do know there was much improvement comparing the TR5' and TR55's vs the OEM plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    As a professional ASE Master Mechanic, I start recommending them as a PM item around 60-75k. Not everyone buys them. Especially with cars like ours, that have 4. O2 sensors can become skewed and/or lazy, causing excessive emissions or poor gas mileage.

I always thought that too, but like most anything, there are comparisons to prove things wrong. In some situations, the X-pipe gave better mid range torque than the H-pipe, and others the H-pipe gave better HP, especially at high RPM. So, after I saw that, I'm not sure what to recommend except to have a crossover of some sort. Any crossover defintely shows gains over straight dual exhaust, but someone will probably show me a specific example on a specific car where it didn't help LOL.

Thanks, Now one more thing to add to the shopping list

Red
    98 Trans Am

Cool. Yeah i was looking at Rockauto (not a pusher) and they sell plugs for a realy nice deal. $1.80 for the TR55 and then $7.59 for the tr5ix each. Anywho, im gonna try out the tr5ixs since they are the iridum tips unless someone else objects.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Alright! GOD I love ebay! just found NGK TR5ix PT#7397. $52.72 for 8! Freakin awesome thats with shipping mind you. 1.50 and then .50 for additional items. That even beats rockauto!

http://stores.ebay.com/Speed-Custom-Marine
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-01-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: bad link

Red
    98 Trans Am

Now for a total recap. Mind you EVERYTHING is from EBAY.
    OBX LT Headers (stainless) - $350
    LPP ORY pipe (stainless) - $205
    Bosch O2 PT# 13111 (2) - $89.20
    NGK TR5ix PT#7397 (8) - $52.72
    Total - $696.92
    Thats not bad at all! some people have spent more than that on headers ALONE!!!
    Waiting on shipping and then an Install with pics and details will follow!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Now for a total recap. Mind you EVERYTHING is from EBAY.
    OBX LT Headers (stainless) - $350
    LPP ORY pipe (stainless) - $205
    Bosch O2 PT# 13111 (2) - $89.20
    NGK TR5ix PT#7397 (8) - $52.72
    Total - $696.92
    Thats not bad at all! some people have spent more than that on headers ALONE!!!
    Waiting on shipping and then an Install with pics and details will follow!!
    You're right. My Hookers were around $650 plus the $150 ORY.

Red
    98 Trans Am

just got my ypipe in today. that was pretty fast. Ordered it last friday. Everything is in. Just need my band clamps and ill be set. Got good ones from summit via ebay. 7.95 each. not too bad. The LPP Y-pipe is freakin hot! i almost just want to hang it on a wall. almost. Now i just need a slow day at wok and borrow a lift for the day and it shall be done! pics and details will follow very soon. Not this weekend though, got army stuff to do this weekend. Always when i wanna do somthing fun.

Red
    98 Trans Am

alright now i got all the pieces but now the weather wants to be crappy. of course.
    I had another question. CATS and what would keep your emmisions down enough to pass a sniffer test. I wouldnt care tooooo much but i got some great news that im going to germany. I can take my car but if i got a check engine light on and no cats it most likly wont pass emiisions testing in Germany. Im getting stationed over there and im taking my car. GOTTA drive the autobahn so i can get passed by lambos and porches ill take that whoopn. but what would be good cats to somewhat pass emissions even just enough to stay off the radar?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

alright now i got all the pieces but now the weather wants to be crappy. of course.
    I had another question. CATS and what would keep your emmisions down enough to pass a sniffer test. I wouldnt care tooooo much but i got some great news that im going to germany. I can take my car but if i got a check engine light on and no cats it most likly wont pass emiisions testing in Germany. Im getting stationed over there and im taking my car. GOTTA drive the autobahn so i can get passed by lambos and porches ill take that whoopn. but what would be good cats to somewhat pass emissions even just enough to stay off the radar?
    Get it tuned, they can turn off all the emissions codes (downstream O2's, EGR, AIR) so that when the OBDII emissions check it done, everything says "ready". Then you automatically pass. They usually don't do tailpipe emissions tests on OBDII cars, so you should be fine there.

Red
    98 Trans Am

ok. does europe do anything else compared to the states?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

ok. does europe do anything else compared to the states?
    That I couldn't tell you, probably depends on the particular country and their emissions regulations...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by myredSS View Post
    I've read the OBX are better than the option racing ones. I have also seen SS headers and y-pipe, 2 resonators, bands, etc from OBX for ~$495 on e-bay. Has anyone used these? I'm curious how the LPP stainless y fits to the OBX. I'm interested in a SS catted y-pipe from LPP to mate to the OBXs.
    I bought that package last week for $200, sounded crazy to me but I emailed the seller asking if everything in the picture was included in the auction and he confirmed.

The package is going through customs now, I should have it next week, but I won't be installing for a while.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information